Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System won't boot

Best Answer phillpower2 , 29 May 2018 - 06:19 AM

There seems to be more new socket 1150 MBs available here in the UK than in the US which is odd   Could be good or bad news dependant on how you look at it, if there is 4 Xs 4GB sticks yo... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

heartgrave

heartgrave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts

I asked a good friend of mine who's father owns a computer repair shop. He stated there should be no reason the cpu should go bad and there is no way to really test the cpu alone? /shrug idk.

Anyways, any chance of being pointed to a good gaming motherboard with a CPU 1150 socket?

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Correct on both counts, with the exception of having a known working spare board that is compatible with the CPU there is no way that an end user can test the CPU.

Before suggesting any board/s can you post the full RAM details, brand, ID information from the labels that should be stuck on the sticks (seem to recall that you had 4X2GB sticks) this so we can hopefully find you a good quality/value board that your RAM has been tested and approved with, less likely to get compatibility issues having such a board.

heartgrave

heartgrave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts

https://www.newegg.c...N82E16820231460

I recall there being 4 sticks.

Edit: The reason I ask you for help finding one is because all the ones I find are for cryptocurrency or they seem to be some generic, name brand company made motherboard that just don't catch my eye as being gaming worthy.

Edited by heartgrave, 27 May 2018 - 11:03 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
I recall there being 4 sticks.

Are you certain that is the correct RAM, it would mean that you have a minimum of 16GB of RAM as G.Skill only list 4 and 8GB capacity sticks here.

heartgrave

heartgrave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts
I went to my newegg order history and that was there. I'm certain it's right because my nephew liked windows 8 and the ram was ordered with windows 8.1. If you recall I despised windows 8. That is the only windows 8 in my order history so it has to be it.

Edited by heartgrave, 28 May 2018 - 09:46 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
✓  Best Answer

There seems to be more new socket 1150 MBs available here in the UK than in the US which is odd  :headscratch:

Could be good or bad news dependant on how you look at it, if there is 4 Xs 4GB sticks you could get away with a MB that only has two memory slots which would allow for 8GB, plenty for most games but not so good if you like flight sims.

New board that only has two memory slots here support for the board here lists the 1866MHz RAM as compatible but please note that it will clock backwards to 1600MHz, no biggie as the i5 4670k memory controller has a stock setting of 1600MHz.

Refurbished board from Gigabyte here that will accommodate all of the RAM, Gigabyte homepage for the board here

heartgrave

heartgrave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts
Thank you! Curiosity question... Are cryptocurrency motherboards better than or same as gaming motherboards? Can they be used to game on?

Edited by heartgrave, 29 May 2018 - 12:18 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

I`m not the best placed person to answer any crypto based questions tbh as I have zero knowledge of it  :no:

heartgrave

heartgrave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts

I want to update, this has been resolved, we changed out the motherboard and it seemed to resolve it, if I recall. I am sorry I did not update this post. Thank you for all your help.

Edited by heartgrave, 16 January 2019 - 10:21 AM.