Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Defender & Windows Updates

- - - - -

Best Answer OZDOUG , 31 March 2018 - 08:00 PM

Thanks garioch7....have a good easter! Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

OZDOUG

OZDOUG

• PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Hi.

I have an Acer ASPIRE ES1-432 Laptop. Started off with about 29Gb of memory which has been steadily dropping down to around 2Gb.

I am religious with keeping everything off the machine & stored on external drives, plus I regularly clean out the temp web files & run the Windows 'Disk Cleanup' option.

Problem is that the latest Windows update tells me it needs 8Gb!

I could live with the loss of perhaps certain functions by missing an update or two, but now I find I am noticing some constant issues with folders on external drives, ejecting external drives & Windows Defender.

External Drive Folders:

I can create & sometimes delete them, & I can drag/drop any files inside those folders to other folders, but when I try to edit or rename an existing folder it keeps telling me it has a file open somewhere.....even though I know this is not the case. This function works fine on my other laptop.

Ejecting External Drives:

Always comes up with the same error message despite knowing that I have closed everything off.....

[attachment=86947:Ejecting USB drive.jpg]

Windows Defender: 

When I check it under 'Settings, Update & Security' it shows it as On....

[attachment=86945:Windows Defender On.jpg]

However when I scroll down further to 'Open Windows Defender', I get a message telling me the app is turned off.

[attachment=86946:Windows Defender On-2.jpg]

I am also running Malwarebytes Premium which has been running with Defender on this & another laptop quite nicely (I had a previous issue with the other laptop's speed which was resolved by stopping Avast & just running Defender & MWB Premium).

I am sure that running the Windows updates would probably fix my Defender issue but the 'help' info provided by Windows doesn't tell me how to do this when I need 8Gb & only have 2Gb free!  Is it possible run it via an external USB drive?......

Any advice would be appreciated.

Advertisements

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts

Hi OXDOUG,

My data sheets indicate that this machine ships with a 32GB eMMC ( flash) and a 1GB hard drive.

If the data sheets are right (sometimes they are not!) then maybe you are always trying to use the flash memory rather than the hard drive...??

Have a look at this and see what stuff you have on your hard drive (or inded if it is present)

Regards

paws

garioch7

garioch7

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 62 posts

OZDOUG:

With respect to your issues of renaming files/folders, and being unable to eject USB media, please see this linkMalwarebytes 3.4.4. has a known issue causing these problems.  It has been a real nuisance.  I have been experiencing the same symptoms, but turning off the ransomware protection module temporarily resolves the problem.

There is supposed to be a fix for this issue coming in the next week or two.

I hope this helps, and good luck with your other issues.  Have a great day.

Regards,

-Phil

OZDOUG

OZDOUG

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Thanks Mr. Paws.

Indeed you are correct in that the unit originally came with 32Gb of memeory but that has just been filling up slowly but surely. I also understood that Windows 10 takes a lot of space & realised that the hard drive at 32Gb was really not that big!

I confess I just assumed that any saving or storing would automatically go to the 'hard drive'. Is there something I should be checking in this area?.............

OZDOUG

OZDOUG

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Phil,

Thanks for the info on MWB.  Indeed this unit has MWB at version 3.4.4, while my other laptop for whatever reason is still at 3.3.1.....?

I'll wait for the MWB fix then upgrade the other laptop to the newer version of MWB.

Thanks!

garioch7

garioch7

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 62 posts

OZDOUG:

You are most welcome for my assistance with respect to Malwarebytes Premium 3.4.4.  I guess that they are going to miss the end-of-the-month target to fix this issue. :(

With respect to your diminishing flash 32 GB drive space, I would download Folder Size or WinDirStat and see what is taking up the space.  Use Windows Explorer to move what you can to the larger 1 TB mechanical hard drive.  You should also modify any programs that you use to default save their data to folders on the 1 TB drive.

I am assuming that this is your laptop.  I think paws had a typo when he stated the mechanical hard drive was 1 GB.

I hope this helps.  Have a great day.

Regards,

-Phil

garioch7

garioch7

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 62 posts

OZDOUG:

I spoke too soon.  Malwarebytes Premium Version 3.4.5. is now available.  Please see this link for more information.

Have a great day.

Regards,

-Phil

OZDOUG

OZDOUG

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Garioch,

Yes indeed that is my unit........but 1Tb hard drive?!  Unless there is a strange partition set up somewhere or something I missed setting up when I first bought the thing, then I only have the 32Gb flash drive it would seem.

[attachment=86967:pc.JPG]

I have been through Device Manager & pretty much anywhere else I can think of & have never seen anything related to any further memory........

OZDOUG

OZDOUG

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Garioch7,

I think I found the problem........there is no hard drive installed!

[attachment=86968:Empy HD slot.jpg]

I guess I'll look to see what are the compatible units for this machine...........

garioch7

garioch7

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 62 posts
OZDOUG:

I am glad that you solved the mystery. That would explain your lack of space, for sure.

I would touch base with Acer Tech Support and find out from them which mechanical hard drives are compatible with your computer/motherboard. You don't want to waste money on a hard drive that doesn't work.

Good luck and have a great weekend.

Regards,
-Phil

OZDOUG

OZDOUG

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts
✓  Best Answer

Thanks garioch7....have a good easter!