Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I can't see important business correspondence in my mailbox.

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

LouiseHughes

LouiseHughes

• Pip
  • 1 posts

I use Outlook 2016 to work and send files with reports. But unexpectedly for myself, I did not find in my mailbox several messages, with important business correspondence. Every time there is an error - The Inbox Repair Tool does not recognize the file. No information can be recovered. Is it possible for me to extract and save lost messages on my own?

Advertisements

CoreyShaw

CoreyShaw

• Pip
  • 1 posts

http://www.wikihow.c...crosoft-Outlook

Backing Up Outlook

1. Understand how Outlook stores data. All of your Outlook information, including emails, folders, contacts, calendars , and more, is stored in a single .pst or .ost file file on your computer. Copying this file will create a full backup of your Outlook information.

2. Open the folder containing the your Outlook data file. You'll need to navigate to C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\. There are a couple of ways that you can do this:

• You can open an Explorer window and navigate to this folder, but you'll need to display hidden files first. Click the "View" tab and select "Hidden items," or click the "View" menu, select "Folder options," and then check "Display hidden files and folders." This will allow you to see the "AppData" folder in your User folder.
  • You can press  Win, type %appdata%, and press  Enter. This will open the "Roaming" folder. Go up one level so that you're in the "AppData" folder, then open "Local" → "Microsoft" → "Outlook."
  • In Windows XP, the location is C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\.

3. Find the .pst and .ost files. These are the data files for that user's Outlook program. The files will be named after the email address they are associated with. Most users will have .pst files, while Exchange users will typically have an .ost file.

• Copy the file by selecting it and then pressing Ctrl+C or right-click it and select "Copy."

4. Decide how you want to outlook pst repair xxxx There are several ways that you can securely backup this data file, depending on your needs. Creating multiple backups will help ensure that your file stays safe in case something goes wrong.

• You can copy the file to a USB drive. Most .pst files will be around 20-100 MB in size, which should fit on most USB drives.
  • You can burn the file to a disc. This allows you to file the disc away, but may not be the best use of a whole disc due to the relatively small file size.
  • You can upload the file to a cloud storage service such as Google Drive or OneDrive. This has the benefit of giving you access to the file anywhere you can connect to the internet.

Edit by phillpower2: External link to third party software download site removed.