Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Missing registry key app path win7

Best Answer phillpower2 , 28 March 2018 - 01:11 PM

Only way to fix it is with a clean install of an appropriate OS using a legitimate product key, would suggest that you install it on its own partition which I would make around the 250GB size. Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

dansaab

dansaab

• PipPip
  • 17 posts

Win 7 pro does not have HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Path

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,746 posts

Not enough information for anyone to be able to begin to help you i`m afraid dansaab  :(

Can you tell us how you become aware of the issue.

Has anyone been messing with the registry.

Does the computer run ok, including updating Windows 7.

Do you have Windows 7 media in case it is needed to do a Repair installation.

What is the brand and model name or number of the computer, if a custom build, just say custom build.

dansaab

dansaab

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Not enough information for anyone to be able to begin to help you i`m afraid dansaab  :(

Can you tell us how you become aware of the issue.

Has anyone been messing with the registry.

Does the computer run ok, including updating Windows 7.

Do you have Windows 7 media in case it is needed to do a Repair installation.

What is the brand and model name or number of the computer, if a custom build, just say custom build.

Ie 11 is not a registered program and does not show in Default Program list protocols.

I could not make IE the default browser and wanted to register the program.

As far as I know, no registry changes made. IE works OK; everything else works fine.

The App Path is in the HKLM section.

I do have win7 media.

PC is Dell Inspiron 660. Intel i5, 64 bit, 8 GB. All updates, no viruses or rootkits (as far as I can tell).

Thanks for your interest.

Dan

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,746 posts

Thanks for the additional info  :thumbsup:

Download then run Speccy (free) and post the resultant url for us, details here, this will provide us with information about your computer hardware + any software that you have installed that may explain the present issue/s. 

To publish a Speccy profile to the Web:

In Speccy, click File, and then click Publish Snapshot.

In the Publish Snapshot dialog box, click Yes to enable Speccy to proceed.

Speccy publishes the profile and displays a second Publish Snapshot. You can open the URL in your default browser, copy it to the clipboard, or close the dialog box.

Once we have the Speccy info to check for clues we will post a suggestion (or two) for you to try.

dansaab

dansaab

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Thanks for the additional info  :thumbsup:

Download then run Speccy (free) and post the resultant url for us, details here, this will provide us with information about your computer hardware + any software that you have installed that may explain the present issue/s. 

To publish a Speccy profile to the Web:

In Speccy, click File, and then click Publish Snapshot.

In the Publish Snapshot dialog box, click Yes to enable Speccy to proceed.

Speccy publishes the profile and displays a second Publish Snapshot. You can open the URL in your default browser, copy it to the clipboard, or close the dialog box.

Once we have the Speccy info to check for clues we will post a suggestion (or two) for you to try.

Hi,

http://speccy.pirifo...Dr0h7e21ZDoKn6o

Thanks,

Dan

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,746 posts

Can I ask who installed Windows on the computer.

You mention that you have Windows 7 Pro in your OP when in fact you have Windows 7 Enterprise, this may or may not explain the missing registry key but regardless you should not be running Enterprise on any personal computer as Windows 7 Enterprise was only available to businesses through volume licensing, this could explain why you have so many Windows 7 updates that have failed to install, see Windows 7 Enterprise Edition Customer Benefits

Operating System

Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit SP1
Computer type: Desktop
Installation Date: 9/18/2016 8:13:41 PM

dansaab

dansaab

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Can I ask who installed Windows on the computer.

You mention that you have Windows 7 Pro in your OP when in fact you have Windows 7 Enterprise, this may or may not explain the missing registry key but regardless you should not be running Enterprise on any personal computer as Windows 7 Enterprise was only available to businesses through volume licensing, this could explain why you have so many Windows 7 updates that have failed to install, see Windows 7 Enterprise Edition Customer Benefits

Operating System

Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit SP1
Computer type: Desktop
Installation Date: 9/18/2016 8:13:41 PM

Good point, I hadn't realized. Was installed by a friend. Guess I'll have to fix that.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,746 posts
✓  Best Answer

Only way to fix it is with a clean install of an appropriate OS using a legitimate product key, would suggest that you install it on its own partition which I would make around the 250GB size.