Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Steam

• Please log in to reply

Sir Goat

Sir Goat

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
Hi.

For a whilw now steam (online playing thing for half-life) hasn't been working on my desktop but on my laptop with a poor procesor and I always wanted to know how to fix it. It just freezes on the connecting screen, does it matter if it's a media centre?

Thanks a milion.

EDIT: just noticed it's in the wrong forum.

Edited by Sir Goat, 18 June 2005 - 01:05 PM.

Advertisements

Hawker

Hawker

• PipPip
  • 91 posts
make sure you are letting steam update completely. close it out (end the process, dont just x-out) and restart it. it should get the updates on its own

Sir Goat

Sir Goat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Alright I'll try that, thanks.

Sir Goat

Sir Goat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
No, not working, now it says the game is unavailable bit it works on my lesser computer.

EDIT: just thought about copying game files, do you think it's worth it?

Edited by Sir Goat, 22 June 2005 - 01:39 PM.

kitch

kitch

• Pip
  • 4 posts
hi, new to the forums............was looking for an answer tbh, and im having the exact same problem i had it a few weeks ago as well! the problem b4 was i didnt have java installed on my machine!! hope tht helps althogu its not helping me now!!

Sir Goat

Sir Goat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Thanks. I'll try that.

MOLEXRULZ

MOLEXRULZ

• PipPipPip
  • 346 posts
Im pretty sure Steam is a C++ app. My suggestion would be to reinstall Steam. Either that or check for spyware and viruses etc..

kitch

kitch

• Pip
  • 4 posts
mines still fooked which sucks, did the java thing work for you????????? if any one has any ideas PLEASE post thm, i dotn have any viruses and spy ware :tazz:

Sir Goat

Sir Goat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
No, steam is having to be the most unrelaible server ever.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
when you say steam doesn't work, could you be more specific? does it give an error message or exhibit a specific behavior?

memory could not be read error

do you use xfire? lots of compatability issues with it and steam.

startup and connection problems faq

quicksilvers help and faq links for steam

Advertisements

Sir Goat

Sir Goat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
CS-CZ - When connecting to a server it freezes and does nothing.

HL2 CS-S and HL-S it either says the game in unavailable or it can only run one instance of the game.

kitch

kitch

• Pip
  • 4 posts
well, mine just hangs on login, thn vanishes in to the proces part of the task manger, i do use xifre b ut i have tried it closed! tried set fire wall bk to defaults which didnt work ! thnx for help guys, any more suggestions will be grately aprreciated

Edited by kitch, 05 July 2005 - 04:55 PM.

panekmelon

panekmelon

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey all, i'm new to these parts. :tazz:

I've been playing HL2 for months now and never had any issues with Steam. Recently, I moved and I am currently without an internet connection (I snaked a few minutes from my friend to pick your brains).

Upon attempting to to play HL2 in offline mode, I receive an error as it tries to connect to Steam anyways and prompts me to connect (i.e. I double click to launch and I get an error message saying like, "cannot complete this task while in offline mode"). I can load an play Codename Gordon, for example, in offline, but not actual HL2.

Any ideas why?

cheers,

pKm

Edited by panekmelon, 07 July 2005 - 07:17 PM.

ratmilk

ratmilk

• PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
You can't play HL2 without the internet...

Valves attempt at copyright protection..

panekmelon

panekmelon

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Cheers for the swift reply ratmilk.

I was getting that impression myself. Strangely enough, on the card that doubles for a quickkey guide and installation instructions, Valve outlines how to play HL2 in offline mode. It basically requires that you always have Steam set to auto-login and all Steam/HL2 settings saved/updated to your current PC. So basically I apologize for not seeing that an in turn wasting your time and brainpower. Also, poking around other boards, I find that multiple people regularly play in offline mode.

Steam always runs at boot-up, but maybe I don't have local Steam/HL2 settings saved. It must be that.

Anywho, thanks for the ideas ;)

pKm :tazz: