Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Steam

• Please log in to reply

ratmilk

ratmilk

• PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
No probs :tazz:

Yeah some people can do it, but you need to have the internet to start off with ;)

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well you only need to log it in the once and collect all the updates, but you have to be prepared for the updates to take a while you start the game and it will begin. After you are fully updated just shutdown and disconnect and it will start and work in offline mode henceforth. You do need a fair amount of time for updates as i am learning i just built my new pc and im having to do this as its not going to b e on the internet permenantly for a while. HL2 is ok for updates but CS:S is a nightmare.

kitch

kitch

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I FIXED STEAM, IT WAS MY MTU SIZE ON MY ROUTER!!, SHOULKD HAVE BEEN AT 1400 I THINK!! HOPE THIS HLEPS :tazz:

Sir Goat

Sir Goat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
GREAT!! Thankyou all so so much for your support.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yeah i had a similar prob for me although not as bad i could only detect a handful of servers and had a bad ping. Glad you got it sorted.

DeV1Se

DeV1Se

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Another Half Life related problem....

Here's our lasses PC Spec

1.7ghz Intel Celeron
768mb DDR 2700 RAM
30gb Maxtor 7200rpm
nVidia GeForce FX 5500 PCI
Direct X 9.0c

Ok, dont laugh at the spec... the pc doesnt need to do much more than play half life 2 and run some basic applications... and it's well within its limits for running half life 2 pretty smoothly.

Except........................

Half Life 2 wont load up.... or CS:Source...

Keep getting the error message when loading up the game saying something about 'video mode error - restarting using default display settings' or something like that...

Then, after a few attempts.. it decides to say the game has a minimum DirectX hardware requirement of Version 7. Hmmmm... the cards DX9 compatible?!?!?

So... Im now stuck... I know someone else on this forum has had the same problem (although nobody has replied with their help) but it seems that this isnt an isolated problem. I had the same issue when I installed my x800 card... where the game kept resetting its video mode to default before loading up... and I had to do a full driver reinstall to solve the problem.

I dont want to have to reinstall windows on our lasses comp as it takes donkeys years n it'd only be for her to play the game online... so if anyone could help her out itd be greatly appreciated!

UndeadInsanity

UndeadInsanity

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
Just as a further note, copying game files and editing the account names and such within the files and folders doesn't work.

Speaking from experience :tazz:

Edited by UndeadInsanity, 19 July 2005 - 04:18 AM.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
DeV1Se,

try forcing all of the card into the DX9 path by adding the "-dxlevel 90" command to the game launch

try updating your agp driver, updating the graphics driver, and checking your direct x. you should be running 9c.

you can use http://drivercleaner.net/ to make sure you have a clean system with no left over drivers.

DeV1Se

DeV1Se

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Done all that beforehand mate and nowt worked... me missus is currently installing an older nvidia driver so fingers crossed that the new driver was the problem

DeV1Se

DeV1Se

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Tried an older nvidia driver... problem solved.

Fancy nvidia makin a dodgy driver eh... tsk

Advertisements

zimbim333

zimbim333

• Pip
  • 1 posts
yes i just came across this problem today, the video settings error, crash to desktop, restart, direct x thingamabobber, etc., and i got it after i installed nvidia's new driver for their geforce cards, i think the date on the driver is june 15th but i haven't gotten to update until today.

yes, rolling back the driver would do the trick *i suppose*, or, for my geforce fx 5600xt card on my win 2000 pro machine, i went to the registry here:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\nv\Device0

and deleted two entries, default settings for the vidcard, i think, for this game, the entries start with "_HL2.exe:" or something to that effect. i deleted both of them *backed them up to be safe* and half life 2 instantly worked.

if you can't find them there, you could try looking here instead:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video\{F5857C38-087A-4CD1-98DD-D4DF85D1A681}\0000

and looking for similar entries. that last one i got off a website somewhere, but it's that way for my computer, so... it will work, *so they say* i just haven't proven it. as for my method, well, i kinda just... winged it... but... it worked...so... yeah =D

also 'word of mouth' is using a program nHancer to delete a halflife2 profile... that will also work. anyway, those are a few different methods to try, have fun... (i know i will now!)