Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Connecting an old computer to a wireless network

• Please log in to reply

thr33d

thr33d

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Hi. I have an old desktop computer with no wireless capability. I recently got Xfinity and it has a wireless router so I can connect all of my devices to the internet. What do I have to do to connect my old computer? I'm thinking I have to buy some kind of adapter, but I'm unsure what to get. Thanks in advance for your help.

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,289 posts

A bunch of questions, such as: Which Operating System is it running? How old is the computer? Does it have USB ports? Does it have any open expansion slots on the motherboard? If so, what type?

If it's not too ancient, a USB WiFi Adapter will work.

You can also get WiFi adapters that plug into an expansion slot on the motherboard.