Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Checking before installing SSD in Acer Laptop

SSD Acer

Best Answer SleepyDude , 12 April 2018 - 03:01 AM

You are welcome. Don't feel shy if you have more questions. Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

OZDOUG

OZDOUG

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
Morning SD,

No Windows disk.....lost it in the move although I dont think I ever saw one when I bought the machine!  All I have now is the external USB-HDD that I used to clone the machine. I then installed the SDD & cloned back over to the SSD from the USB-HDD.

I tried to use the tbh-trial & set it up on the USB-HDD but halfway through it stopped the installation & told me I had to change the USB-HDD from NTFS to Fat32. Couldn't do that with my laptop using the 'Properties, Format, File System' method (only exFAT available) so ended up using EaseUS Partition Master. That did the job but by then it was the next day (looking after elderly relative). Then the EaseUS tbh-trial wouldn't run.....error message below:
EaseUS application startup Windows error.jpg

Uninstalled & reinstalled tbh-trial & even contacted the EaseUS 'chat line' for help but then they shut for the weekend.....'contact us on Monday!'

While on the EaseUS site I then downloaded 'tb-free' & that installed Todo Backup & ran up just fine. Screen grab below:
Todo Backup page Installation complete.JPG

Using Todo Backup I then cloned the 'C' drive to the USB-HDD, shut down the machine, opened it & installed the SSD, then rebooted. Then using Todo Backup I then cloned the USB-HDD over to the SSD. All seemed to go well so I rebooted & reset the BIOS to have SSD next after Windows Boot Manager.

I didn't go the option of creating WinPE as I confess I probably misunderstood your comment on one post:
"I'm not familiarized with that situation! I think you should try to to the clone and then change the boot order to HDD1......"
So from that I just went straight to the menu selection of 'Clone' & continued from there.......
Here is the start page from Todo Backup & creating a WinPE was not an option.....although it probably was on the tbh-Trial version!
Todo Backup Start Page.jpg

Edited by OZDOUG, 22 April 2018 - 10:33 PM.

Advertisements

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,554 posts

Hi,

I think you need to clone from the eMMC to the SSD again using the WinPE disk, you can find the option to create the WinPE disk inside the menu Tools.

Make sure you have copies of every new data added after the clone.

The problem with the drive letters is something that happens when Windows see both drivers at the same time, I always remove the cloned drive but in your case I suppose it's not easy/possible to disconnect the eMMC, that's way I post this is a new situation for me.

I did try to recreate your situation and the drive letters switched correctly, what I did:

- Bios set to boot from the eMMC

- boot using the Todo Backup WinPE disk

- clone the eMMC to the SSD

- shutdown the machine

- access the BIOS and change the Boot order to the SSD

- let the machine boot from the SSD and confirm that the C: drive is now the SSD

OZDOUG

OZDOUG

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
Morning SD,

Got it working but not the same way.....basically I got stuck in the house looking after the relative so had all afternoon to chew on this!

Created the WinPE from the menu selection, 'Create Emergency Disk'.
Todo Backup Start Page.jpg

That gave me a small file Emergencydisk, disc image file.  
SSD After cloning_Emergency Disk only shown.JPG

At this point I was stumped & then started carefully playing with the other cloning options.
I kept a copy of the 'Emergencydisk' file on a USB first, then I reformatted the SSD. 
I tried to do the 'System Clone' option to clone the 'C' drive to the SSD, but I kept getting an error message saying I had insufficient unallocated space on the SSD. I played with that partition, making it larger or smaller until I gave up. Reformatted the SSD again.

Then I did the straight 'Clone' option & got the same results as earlier attempt where I did get a cloned copy of the 'C' drive on to the SSD. However again despite playing with the BIOS setting every which way I still couldn't get the machine to boot from the SSD.

So I started reading everything I could on the Windows Boot Manager (WBM) file. In there under the section Windows Boot loader' were two lines, 'device' & 'osdevice' which were always set to 'partition=c:'. Everything I could find out told me that that was where the machine boots from. I decided I had two choices....rename the SSD & 'C' drives to make the SSD drive letter 'C'....but that made me nervous to change something on the machine while it was running, so I changed the WBM settings to read, 'partition=d:', which was the SSD drive letter.
*** At that time the BIOS was set with WBM 1st, SSD 2nd & the eMMC flash drive 3rd.
I rebooted & the machine rebooted from the SSD, & the little Windows icon showed against the SSD drive but had renamed it to 'C' & the original C-drive to 'D'!
Windows icon on C Drive now SSD-3_23APR.JPG

Now the other weird part is that I checked the WBM file & it has reverted to 'partition=c:'! The only other change I did notice is that under the top section, 2nd line down 'device', that changed from '...Volume6', to now '...Volume5'. The two screen grabs of the WBM file from 22APR (pre-change) & yesterday 23APR (post-change) are below:
ACER Windows Boot Manager 22APR18.jpg

ACER Windows Boot Manager 23APR18.jpg

Now my next task is to get the SSD to merge all the partitions to give a bigger drive.....I've been trying with Windows Disk Management & the EaseUS Partition Manager but cannot seem to sort that one!!
Disk Manager-3_24APR.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• ACER Windows Boot Manager 22APR18.jpg
  • ACER Windows Boot Manager 23APR18.jpg