Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Checking before installing SSD in Acer Laptop

SSD Acer

Best Answer SleepyDude , 12 April 2018 - 03:01 AM

You are welcome. Don't feel shy if you have more questions. Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,621 posts

Hi,

The WinPE is created using the files provided by Macrium then the program check the computer where its running for any devices (needed for the backup) not supported by the base WinPE and add the required drivers to make sure the PE will work properly on that machine.

The WinPE can be used in other machines but may have support for all the hardware if different.

Advertisements

OZDOUG

OZDOUG

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

OK......another long story but basically everything ran OK but hit a few bumps....problem not fixed unfortunately.   :headscratch:

Followed the tutorial & copied Macrium over to Acer & installed & ran it. First thing I noticed was the partitions layout shown......

1-Start Page.jpg

Selected the top left icon to create Resue Media & had a clean formatted 4gb stick ready. Started the run & got the following message:

2-Rescue Media Drivers.JPG

Clicked 'Next' & got the next message:

3-Rescue message.JPG

Clicked 'OK' then 'Update Driver'......it ran for a while then I got the next message:

4-Driver update message.JPG

Clicked 'OK' & it went back to the start page. This time I decided not to select the 16mb unknown partition to create the rescue media......

5-Again with 16mb deselected.JPG

Ran it & got the next message.....looked promising!:

6-Rescue Media Drivers new list.JPG

Created the boot drive I needed on the USB, set up the machine to boot up from the USB drive & rebooted. Rebooted in to Macrium page & selected 'Fix Windows Boot Problems'. It ran & gave me the following message (Note: Disk 2 is the old eMMC drive):

8-Run1.jpg

Tried it again....got this slightly different....

9-Run2.jpg

....& once more.....

9-Run2.jpg

Decided to have a look at the Windows Boot Manager file out of curiosity & saw it is now a bit different....

7-check bcdedit WBM.jpg

Thought I would try & get rid of the strange 16mb partition but now EaseUS Partition Manager free trial wants my $$ so couldn't get anywhere with that option......

So all stopped for now.....    :headscratch:  :headscratch:

Attached Thumbnails

• 10-Run3.jpg

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,621 posts

Hi,

Don't touch the 16MB partitions is a special Microsoft partition needed for UEFI partitioned disks, because its a special partition the Windows Disk Manager doesn't show it...

It seems the Rescue wizard had some problems collecting the drivers for the Wireless card but in the end it worked... by the way when you use the option to create the Rescue Disk it doesn't matter the partitions selection.

I think the ESP partition on the eMMC (disk 2) is messing the Fix Windows Boot Problems wizard I would boot from the Macrium Rescue and access the Windows Command prompt then type:

DISKPART

Inside the Diskpart prompt:

DISKPART> list disk

ID the number corresponding to the eMMC drive by checking the size (most likely disk 1)

DISKPART> select disk X

Replace X with the correct number

DISKPART> list partition

Post an image with the result of the command above.

Type exit to abandon Diskpart