Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Checking before installing SSD in Acer Laptop

SSD Acer

Best Answer SleepyDude , 12 April 2018 - 03:01 AM

You are welcome. Don't feel shy if you have more questions. Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

OZDOUG

OZDOUG

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Hi SD,

Sorry for the delay....the elderly relative has gone back in to hospital & is in palliative care so she will not be with us much longer. Understandably I am a bit distracted just now & also trying to sort out her affairs when she does leave us. 

May I ask for your patience while I get on top of that situation?  Thanks in advance!!

Advertisements

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,652 posts

Hi,

I'm sorry for the sad news.

Sure take your time.

OZDOUG

OZDOUG

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
Hi SD,
Things have settled down here so I thought it would be a good time to get back to normal......
First let me say Thank You very much for your patience!!  

So, I went back to your post of 13JUN18, 08:29PM & worked on changing to the Administrator account.
I entered ctrl-alt-delete & signed out. When signing back in I was given two account options....'Sir!' & 'Administrator'.....I took Admin & no password was requested. 
On the run up I was presented with a few text screens saying "Welcome", "Happy you are here", "Lots of exciting features...."blah, blah...
Machine eventually loaded Windows with default Windows logo....no WiFi available on machine.
I downloaded the PROset64 WiFi application to the desktop & ran as Administrator........was given a message, 
"Windows Smart Screen can't be reached right now"...I ran on anyway.
I was then given error message, "Error Parsing, etc..."  
post-318753-0-71745200-1528265186.jpg

Out of curiosity I had a look at Network Settings selections but it came up with a message, "This app can't open. Settings can be opened using the Built-in Administrator account. Sign in with a different account & try again."
I stopped there........

Again many thanks for your patience!   :D  :D

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,652 posts

Hi,

There is a new Intel ProSet driver available on the website make sure you download the latest version.

Open the Start Menu and search for Windows Features on or off disable Net framework 4 and try to install the driver. On my tests the driver installation didn't ask for any net framework!

OZDOUG

OZDOUG

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
Hi SD,

Downloaded WiFi_20.60.0_PROSet64_Win10 to machine desktop.

In to Control Panel, Windows Features, turned off .NET Framework 4.6 Advanced Services. 
Hit 'OK' & it began "Searching for requested files"....., then message, "Windows completed he requested changes".

Ran WiFi PROSet 64 as Administrator....
Windows Smart Screen.....etc, Run anyway.....Error Parsing again....same error as before.
post-318753-0-30291800-1530785607.jpg

Also had a look at Installed programmes & noticed that "Intel PROSet/Wireless Software (26DEC2016, 240mb) was still listed as installed!.....
Capture.PNG

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,652 posts

Hi,

Something isn't right! can you run other programs?

Using that entry on the list of installed programs right click and select Change, check if it gives the option to repair the installation of the Intel ProSet/Wireless

OZDOUG

OZDOUG

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Apologies again SD.....been getting tied up with clearing the stuff out of the relatives place, plus trying to find somewhere to put my own stuff!

I have seen your last post so will work on it ASAP.....sorry again!!