Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows detected a hard disk problem...(Resolved).

Best Answer SpywareDr , 03 April 2018 - 08:15 AM

londonkj, on Apr 2018 - 07:59 AM, said: Hello SpywareDR et al, thank you for your message,You're welcome.  londonkj, on Apr 2018 - 07:59 AM, said: I am still a little nervous about performing... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Take the following safety precautions 1st, disconnect the power cord from the wall socket then take anti static precautions before touching anything inside, you can do this by touching a bare metal part of the case or PSU.

Disconnect the present storage devices.

Connect the SSD to the SATA port and power supply that the C: drive was connected to.

Connect the power cord etc.

Restart the computer to access the BIOS.

Change the boot sequence to DVD drive first if you are installing Windows from a DVD, save the new settings and exit.

Place your Windows DVD in the drive tray then restart the computer and then follow the onscreen install instructions.

Once Windows has been installed you should install the motherboards drivers allow Windows to check for updates and for any AV that you may use to fully update and even though it is a clean install have your computer scanned.

Once the above has been done, post back and someone will help you with hooking the older drives back up and securing your data.

Advertisements

londonkj

londonkj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Thanks Phillpower2.

i have found some dvd's which came with the computer....

HP Restore Plus!

says windows7 recovery meaid for windows 7.

3 disks....

i am guessing i should use these?

when you say access the bios, will this happen automatically or do I need to do something when I start it up?

thanks.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Those should be the correct disks.

To enter the BIOS keep tapping the F10 key when you restart the computer, when in the BIOS look for the Advanced options, change the boot sequence to DVD drive first and HDD second, save and exit.

londonkj

londonkj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

thanks for the speedy reply.

right, going in! wish me luck!

Cheers.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

You are welcome and good luck  :thumbsup:

londonkj

londonkj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Hi Phillpower, thanks for the help,

i have managed to get the new drive up and running,...although a bit mroe work to do.... locate all the software that i want to put back on etc....

I have managed to install norton av.

how to i go about installing motherboard drivers?

also my sound card doesnt seem to want to work yet....

is it a straightforward process to reinstall my old 2TB HDD (the one that works that had my photos on)

also i had OEM office on my pc, is there anyway i can reinstall that?

will continue with it tomorrow! what fun for the weekend! :-)

cheers.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts

As you noticed there are some things not functioning like sound. You need to install the mother board drivers. 1st and then the others can be installed.

I didn't see whether this was a laptop or desktop computer, or what the make and model it is so I can't go much further.

So, is it a laptop? or a desktop? Give us the make and model and we can point you to the proper drivers.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

The drivers should have been on one of the three disks that you have but if not you can download them from here

If you have to manually install the drivers you should install the chipset drivers first and test, anything that you come across that may not be working install the drivers accordingly, post back when all drivers and Windows are fully up to date and one of us will help you with the rest.

londonkj

londonkj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

hi guys,

123runner its an HPZ600 desktop...

I have gone through multiple windows updates now, restarted etc. and it seems to be operating ok, not tested it with anything too tricky yet... it has the windows 7 SP1 now...

the sound is working now which is good, maybe one of the auto updates picked it up...

i am not sure if I have the current motherboard drivers installed or not... how can I tell? I have gone to the HP drivers site and it gives me a big list of things but i an not sure which ones to install... what do you thiink I should install driver-wise? I have included a screen shot of the available drivers from HP... hopefully it is legible... cheers.

Also I have downloaded the HP Support Assistant, in the update section it says it doesnt have any updates...

thanks.

Attached Thumbnails

• Picture1.jpg

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts

You can check in device manager to see if anything is still missing.

Go to start/ right click on computer.

In the drop down menu go to manage.

Click on device manager under system tools. Anything missing will show up as a ? or a ! mark.

Advertisements

londonkj

londonkj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Thanks 123 Runner! I have gone through that and it looks pretty good, with no ? or !.

I am not about to reinstall my secondary 2TB WD Green HDD which has a while lot of existing data which i need to keep, photos and media specifically....

is there anything special i need to do to ensure it is installed and nothing gets deleted off it?

is it a simple exercise of slotting it back in and firing it up? i remember the first time i used it i had to format it, but I am guessing if I format it it will delete all my files....

thanks guys, almost up and running!

cheers.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Reconnect the SATA and power cables to the drive and your done, once the computer has been booted into Windows go into Device Manager and check the status of your drives.

Under no circumstances do you want to format, what you do want is to back up all important data to another two sources, an external USB HDD and something like the Cloud so that your data is securely stored off site as well.

londonkj

londonkj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Hello G2G!

so I have been making excellent progress on the reinstall of things, and it seemed to all be going so well.....

then after restarting my PC just now, it is telling me my password is incorrect! i have checked it numerous times and it should work, but it is just not recognising it....

please help! am massively stuck on this one!

cheers!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

What is asking you for a password, the BIOS or Windows?

londonkj

londonkj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

windows

its really strange,

i added a password and it worked fine since ysterday to half way through today, i had just installed a few different softwares, canons DPP, and Itunes, and then when I did a restart it isnt letting me use the password which was working earlier...

any ideas?

i have tried to start in safe mode but that gave me some strange messages and wouldnt open in safe mode....

thanks