Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Memory Stick not working

Best Answer RedSuedePump , 28 May 2018 - 02:38 AM

Hi Phil, Sadly no, the shop guy managed to extract a couple files but they were corrupted and wouldn't open. I've had to start from zero and taken it as a lesson in the importance of taki... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Any luck RSP?

Advertisements

RedSuedePump

RedSuedePump

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Hi,

I tried a couple of days ago and it quickly came back with nothing, so I decided to leave it a couple of days, so that I could figure out what I was doing wrong.

I'm just rerunning a full scan, which is taking longer this time. Will be back later with the results.

Regards

RSP

RedSuedePump

RedSuedePump

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Hi again,

I ran 'partition recovery' on the stick drive and mini tool couldn't find the lost partition.

I can't see what I'm doing wrong here, but there aren't that many options with the software, so I'm assuming I've got it right and the problem can't be solved this way. Have you been successful with mini tool in the past?

RSP

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Used the partition recovery tool but that was a long time ago, it did do the job though, can I just check that you are following the info at the link here

RedSuedePump

RedSuedePump

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Hi,

Following the instructions for 'solution 1', I should have done a quick scan, but was doing a full scan before.

If I run a quick scan, nothing is reported, so I don't get the partitions as shown in step 4.

I'll give solution 2 a try with the power tool and report back.

Regards

RSP

RedSuedePump

RedSuedePump

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Hello again,

Minitool Power.gif

I've downloaded and installed Power Data Recovery and clicked on 'Damaged Partition Recovery', which gives the response in the attached file.

I'm not sure which, if any, is the damaged drive. I know it's not C, so it might be one of the other two (350MB and 450MB).

The stick is recognised in Windows Explorer, so it should be able to pick it up.

I think what I'll do is run Power Data Recovery without the stick in and see if one of the drives is missing.

Is that sensible?

Regards

RSP

RedSuedePump

RedSuedePump

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Hmm, this is weird. If I run Power Data Recovery and click on 'Damaged Partition Recovery' with the stick removed from the computer, I get the same response, so I conclude that the software is not picking uo the stick, even though Windows Explorer does.

Do I need to change the settings in the results screen?

RSP

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Polite reminder;

If using a computer and not a mobile phone, please avoid adding multiple posts while waiting for us to reply to your last, edit your last post to include anything that you wish to add, this will ensure nothing gets overlooked which can sometimes happen if a thread has more than one page. 

The device is not being recognised  :(

See if the tutorial here helps any.

RedSuedePump

RedSuedePump

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Hi,

Sorry about the multiple replies, I got a bit overexcited.

I've taken a look at the tutorial in your link and it appears that you can rename a drive (i.e. give it a letter) if the partition has been identified.

The problem I have is that the mini tool doesn't identify any partitions on the faulty stick when I run partion recovery - hence I don't think I can rename. Have I misunderstood anything here?

Interestingly, when I run partition recovery, it tells me that I need to upgrade to the pro version:

PRScreen.gif

at a cost of about £55. To be honest, the data is definitely worth £55 to me, so if I can't do it with freeware, I'd pay it, as long as making a payment wasn't a risk. What would you suggest?

Regards

RSP

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

No harm done but as you can imagine we get a lot of email notifications from the forums and it would be quite easy for one or two to go unseen.

Would try Puppy Linux before purchasing anything, as I mentioned earlier there is no guarantee that all if any of the data can be recovered, no chance of getting your cash back once purchased + the data could be corrupt.

Give Puppy Linux a try "how to" below.

===================

***Required Hardware***

CD Burner (CDRW) Drive, 

Blank CD, 

Extra Storage Device (USB Flash Drive, External Hard Drive)

===================

1. Save these files to your Desktop/Burn Your Live CD:

• Download Latest Puppy Linux ISO (i.e.: lupu-528.iso) 

Download BurnCDCC ISO Burning Software

There are instructions on how to boot from flash drive with puppy 
    here; / 

For computers that have UEFI as opposed to legacy BIOS, to be able to boot from your USB device you may need to disable secure boot and change UEFI to CSM Boot, not all computers and BIOS are the same, please refer to your user manual if you have one as the following steps are only one such example.

Restart the computer, Windows 8 and 8.1 from the Start or desktop screen move your mouse pointer over the upper or lower right corner of the screen, when the Windows Charms appear click the Settings Charm, click on Power and then the Restart option.

Windows 10, Click on Start,Power and then Restart.

While the computer is re-starting,you will need to continually tap or hold down the particular key that will allow you to access the BIOS on your computer, we will use the F2 key as an example here;

After restarting the computer, when the screen goes black, press and hold down the F2 key, wait for the BIOS to load.

Select Security -> Secure Boot and then Disabled.

Select Advanced -> System Configuration and then Boot Mode.

Change UEFI Boot to CSM Boot.

Save the changes and Exit the BIOS, commonly F10.

If your computer will not boot into Windows at all, power up or restart the computer continually tap or hold down the key that will allow you to access the BIOS on your computer and then do the following;

Select Security -> Secure Boot and then Disabled.

Select Advanced -> System Configuration and then Boot Mode.

Change UEFI Boot to CSM Boot.

Save the changes and Exit the BIOS, commonly F10.
  •  
  • Open BurnCDCC with Windows Explorer 
  • Extract All files to a location you can remember 
  • Double Click  BurnCDCC 
  • Click Browse  and navigate to the Puppy Linux ISO file you just downloaded 
  • Open/Double Click that file 

IMPORTANT: Adjust the speed bar to CD: 4x DVD: 1x 
  • Click Start 
  • Your CD Burner Tray will open automatically 
  • Insert a blank CD and close the tray 
  • Click OK

Puppy Linux Live CD will now be created

2. Set your boot priority in the BIOS to CD-ROM first, Hard Drive Second

•  
  • Start the computer/press the power button 
  • Immediately start tapping the appropriate key to enter the BIOS, aka "Setup" 

(Usually shown during the "Dell" screen, or "Gateway" Screen) 
  • Once in the BIOS, under Advanced BIOS Options change boot priority to: 

CD-ROM 1st, Hard Drive 2nd 
  • Open your ROM drive and insert the disk 
  • Press F10 to save and exit 
  • Agree with "Y" to continue 
  • Your computer will restart and boot from the Puppy Linux Live CD 

3. Recover Your Data

• Once Puppy Linux has loaded, it is actually running in your computer's Memory (RAM). You will see a fully functioning Graphical User Interface similar to what you normally call "your computer". Internet access may or may not be available depending on your machine, so it is recommended you print these instructions before beginning. Also, double clicking is not needed in Puppy. To expand, or open folders/icons, just click once. Puppy is very light on resources, so you will quickly notice it is much speedier than you are used to. This is normal. Ready? Let's get started. 

3a. Mount Drives 

• Click the Mount Icon located at the top left of your desktop.  

• A Window will open. By default, the "drive" tab will be forward/highlighted. Click on Mount for your hard drive. 

• Assuming you only have one hard drive and/or partition, there may be only one selection to mount. 

• USB Flash Drives usually automatically mount upon boot, but click the "usbdrv" tab and make sure it is mounted. 

• If using an external hard drive for the data recovery, do this under the "drive" tab. Mount it now.

3b. Transfer Files.

•  
  • At the bottom left of your desktop a list of all hard drives/partitions, USB Drives, and Optical Drives are listed with a familiar looking hard drive icon. 

• Open your old hard drive i.e. sda1 

• Next, open your USB Flash Drive or External Drive. i.e. sdc or sdb1 

• If you open the wrong drive, simply X out at the top right corner of the window that opens. (Just like in Windows) 

• From your old hard drive, drag and drop whatever files/folders you wish to transfer to your USB Drive's Window. 
    For The Novice: The common path to your pictures, music, video, and documents folders for XP is: Documents and Settings >>All Users (or each individual name of each user, for Vista and above C:\Users\$USERNAME\[...]. CHECK All Names!) >> Documents >> You will now see My Music, My Pictures, and My Videos.

Remember to only click once! No double clicking! Once you drag and drop your first folder, you will notice a small menu will appear giving you the option to move or copy. Choose COPY each time you drag and drop.

YOU ARE DONE!!! Simply click Menu >> Mouse Over Shutdown >> Reboot/Turn Off Computer. Be sure to plug your USB Drive into another working windows machine to verify all data is there and transferred without corruption. Congratulations!

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Not heard back from you RSP, do you still require assistance or is the issue now resolved, an update would be appreciated.

RedSuedePump

RedSuedePump

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Hi Phil,

The problem's not solved yet, but the latest set of instructions are quite detailed so I need a decent amount of time to concentrate on them.

I hope to get the chance this weekend and then get back to you.

Regards

RSP

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

No problem, was just doing my usual catch up routine, good luck  :thumbsup:

RedSuedePump

RedSuedePump

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Hi Phil,

I've been through the instructions a few times and it's not entirely obvious to me what I'm trying to do here.

I get the impression from the instructions that I need to set up puppy on both a cd (which I've done) and also install it onto a stick (which I think I've also done).

Looking at the recovery instructions, what appears to be happening is that you boot the pc with linux puppy from the cd and transfer your files from the old memory stick (or hard drive, as the case may be) onto a new (uncorrupted) memory stick/flash drive. Is this correct?

If that's the case, why does the new memory stick/flash drive also need puppy on it? Or have I misunderstood? Wouldn't it be best to just have puppy on the cd and transfer the files from the old memory stick onto a fresh, empty memory stick?

Once I've cleared this up, I think I'll understand what's going on and be able to press ahead.

Regards

RSP

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Hi RSP,

The idea is to boot the computer from a Puppy CD then mount the USB thumb drive to see if Linux can read the data on the thumb drive, as I previously mentioned for the USB stick to ever be used again it will have to be fully formatted and even paid for recovery software (and data recovery services) do not guarantee a 100% recovery rate, trying Linux is just about all that is left that I can think of tbh.