Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Memory Stick not working

Best Answer RedSuedePump , 28 May 2018 - 02:38 AM

Hi Phil, Sadly no, the shop guy managed to extract a couple files but they were corrupted and wouldn't open. I've had to start from zero and taken it as a lesson in the importance of taki... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

RedSuedePump

RedSuedePump

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Hi Phil,

I managed to boot up from the puppy cd, had the puppy logo on my screen, but my mouse and keyboard (both wireless) weren't responding, so I couldn't do anything. I plugged in a usb wired mouse, but not even that worked.

I am tantalisingly close, but can't figure out how to get the mouse/keyboard to work. Are drivers required to help puppy interact with them?

RSP

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,765 posts

Try restarting with the USB wired mouse connected - if your computer has both USB 2.0 and 3.0 ports make sure that you use the black USB 2.0 port/s.

RedSuedePump

RedSuedePump

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Hi Phil,

I managed to start the computer up in puppy and used the mouse with the black usb port.

Puppy recognises a new usb drive that I want to transfer the data to and also another usb drive with accessible data on it, but it's not recognising the memory stick with the RAW data on it that I want.

Maybe Linux isn't the solution?

RSP

Edited by RedSuedePump, 22 April 2018 - 01:14 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,765 posts
Maybe Linux isn't the solution?

I`m afraid that it was the last free role of the dice RSP  :(

If you go the route of paying for the recovery software I really do wish you the best of luck and would appreciate it if you could let us know if it works out for you.

RedSuedePump

RedSuedePump

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Hi Phil,

I've decided to see if my local computer shop can sort it out. I think they only charge if they can successfully recover it, so if it doesn't work out, there's no cost.

I reckon that's less of a gamble than buying the software myself.

Thanks for all you help. I have at least learnt about Linux, which has interested me for some time.

Regards

RSP

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,765 posts

HI RSP,

Fingers crossed for you and the local store  :thumbsup:

Glad that you find Linux of interest  :)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,765 posts

HI RSP,

Did you have any luck with this.

RedSuedePump

RedSuedePump

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
✓  Best Answer

Hi Phil,

Sadly no, the shop guy managed to extract a couple files but they were corrupted and wouldn't open.

I've had to start from zero and taken it as a lesson in the importance of taking backups.

Regards

RSP

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,765 posts

HI RSP,

Sorry to hear that  :(

Backing up your data is a good idea but backing up your back ups is the best policy and ideally you should store one set of back ups securely off site, the Cloud being the most convenient.

Thanks for the follow up btw  :thumbsup: