Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

First time computer

• Please log in to reply

Dantho

Dantho

• PipPip
  • 17 posts

I should start by saying; I'm not the most tech savvy out there. my old ,computer which was pre-made cheap, had recently broke, just in time for a replacement. This time around i was aiming for a decent gaming rig and stumbled on this deal. Started modifying it and this is what it ended up as. I don't know how to check for compatibility outside of pins and dimensions. I was wondering if i could get some criticism and possibly a professional point of view. Thanks in advance! :)

Posted as soon as the deal ended. That's unfortunate. If a mod could delete this, due to the fact that I have no idea how to delete posts on this website. Thanks.. 

Edit by phillpower2: Dead link removed.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

:welcome:   Dantho,

Sorry to hear that you missed out the special offer that you were after  :(

Post back and let us know if you would like some help putting a parts list together, you can get some build ideas and costs here

Dantho

Dantho

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

http://www.cyberpowe...om/saved/1KH1GQ  is the other option i was looking at.

My first question is if Cyberpowerpc is actually a credible website. I paid a lot more for a lot less locally.

I was looking at the daily deals and tax return deals :D maybe upgrading the graphics card a bit, would this be worthy there?  Would this choice do well for gaming?  My max is around 1300.  I've been looking around, getting some recommendations from others but I'm not sure what's best parts wise and how to get the most for my money to get the best I can get.  

I would appreciate a professional point of view. Thanks again.

After researching cyberpowerpc reviews, a large majority of them seem to be negative for one reason or another. Most of those including bad customer service. I also know satisfied customers most likely wont go out of their way to make a positive review. Whereas the dissatisfied ones will post paragraphs about what's wrong with it.

Edited by Dantho, 13 April 2018 - 02:27 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Never have or ever will use Cyberpower so not qualified to comment other than to say that you read good and bad reviews for all system builders and not just Cyberpower.

I would not pay the asking price for the computer at your second link, GPU and RAM prices are on the high side atm down to the demand for them from bitcoin/cryptominers and, some folk have seized the opportunity to make easy money and have stockpiled any decent GPUs and are now selling them at a premium, GPU prices are expected to remain high and possibly for as long as the turn of the year, RAM prices are expected to fall slowly but sooner rather than later, I mention this for two reasons, the GPU and 16GB of RAM in the Cyberpower build at your link are what have made the price so high and for gaming atm you can realistically get by with having only 8GB of RAM (2 Xs 4GB sticks for dual channel to work).

Other points of note regarding the Cyberpower build, the CPU while being very good it is overkill for gaming, the PSU is only shown to be a standard 80 plus unit, worse still is the fact that it does not even have a brand name, for $12 more you can upgrade the PSU to an EVGA 600W but that is also only an 80+ output efficiency rated PSU, a minimum for any PC that has even a very basic add on video card should be an appropriately powered and good brand Bronze efficiency rated PSU, btw, the upgraded EVGA  600W PSU can be purchased for as little as $40 here this effectively means that the stock PSU in that rig must cost $28, would you seriously consider using such a PSU in a computer that you were going to charge someone over $1300 for, shocking imo  :ranting:

Will go off and put a parts list together for you, will edit this post if you have not already replied.

NB: I don`t like the way that Cyberpower make it look like you are getting the screen in with the price either. 

Edit to add: Dantho parts list

Cost slightly more than the Cyberpower PC and has no keyboard but does have an SSD and much better quality components, including a PSU that has a 10 year warranty.

Dantho

Dantho

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

I hadn't actually done the math on cyberpowerpc myself. Did not notice the monitor wasnt included in total. In most of the reviews i've read, good or bad, they say the default PSU is terrible. 

That build looks much more solid then what i put together. What kind of benefits are there for getting both SSD and HD? Also, how big of a difference would liquid cooling make? Would it be worth the investment?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Windows boots lightening fast from an SSD giving you faster access to your favourite game that you can also have on the SSD  :)

The main benefits of having both an SSD are (1) as explained above Windows boots up much faster but in addition to this you only have Windows + your favourite software on the SSD and you keep all personal data on the 1TB HDD (2) having Windows on its own drive makes it less likely to become corrupted + you can back up the SSD to a separate partition on the 1TB HDD in case of any emergency.

Not a fan of liquid cooling, it requires extra maintenance, the pump can fail and the system then overheat plus they can leak.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Not heard back from you Dantho, do you still require assistance, an update would be appreciated.

Dantho

Dantho

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

First of all, thanks for all your help, definitely makes a difference. :)

secondly, sorry about the slow reply, was planning to get back to you if i ran into any issues during building. Everything went smoothly, booted up, got my OS installed and a few major drivers (I'm actually currently making this post on it). I decided to make another user for a family member and it crashed on me during setup. Checked the event viewer and saw that i had accumulated over 300 errors, such as; Microsoft-Windows-Kernal-Processor-Power, DistributedCOM, ESENT, AppModel-Runtime, and a few more. I'm clueless. 

Edited by Dantho, 22 April 2018 - 01:28 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Those errors are Windows and not hardware related.

Couple of questions the answers to which will determine if you need to start a new thread on the OS forums to avoid going off topic here

What type of media did you use to install Windows, a Windows DVD, electronic download to a thumb drive etc.

Once you had installed Windows were the first drivers that you installed the chipset drivers for the MB.

Dantho

Dantho

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I used a windows DVD. Mobo drivers second after windows updates. Then I went around updating everything else.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Mobo drivers second after windows updates. 

But did you install the chipset drivers first, it has to be done this way or the rest of the drivers will not install properly + Windows is a pain in the proverbial for installing the wrong hardware drivers when it updates.

Good that you have a proper Windows DVD as you may need it for a repair installation.

Dantho

Dantho

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I didn't do it myself, no. I followed the bouncing ball after inserting the mobo dvd. If I have to go out of my way to install chipset drivers specifically then definitely didn't happen.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
 I followed the bouncing ball after inserting the mobo dvd

Should be alright then as it sounds like you ran the auto exe install for the drivers.

Would suggest that you try the Refresh option, this will keep all your personal data and drivers etc but will reinstall Windows, see info here

Dantho

Dantho

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
So, I was planning to do a refresh later today because I needed my computer on this day. Now I'm running into a new issue entirely.

"Your pc ran into a problem and needs to restart. We're just collecting some error info, and we'll restart it for you."

On startup. It happens each time I try. Can't get past a flicker of the windows logo.

One screen, it had said something about netio.sys failure. Didn't catch anything else.

Edit, tried booting from DVD, didn't even make it to the windows logo.

Edited by Dantho, 24 April 2018 - 04:36 PM.

Dantho

Dantho

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Upon further inspection LED indicators tell me there are errors with dram, gpu, vga AND boot. Lighting up one at a time. [bleep] hit the fan while I was at work apparently.

Update, past all that. Currently doing a fresh install. Changed primary boot device from DVD back to ssd and it miraculously worked.
How am I supposed to install chipset drivers before windows? It automatically does windows updates during setup.

Edited by Dantho, 24 April 2018 - 07:41 PM.