Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Win 10 random freezing, increased disk activity, Blue screen

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

RobGSW

RobGSW

• Pip
  • 8 posts

My system has been running slower and I hear frequent disk activity, sometimes for many minutes at a time.  I have not had a BSOD but twice, once yesterday and once today, my screen went black.  When I moved the mouse to see if I could get it back, I could see the cursor, but the screen would not come back.  The cursor would move slowly as well.  I had to do a hard boot both times.  I have Malwarebytes installed and I have run a scan and it shows no infection.  I also have Spybot S&D installed.  I've tried looking on task manager and usually it is superfetch that is consuming resources.  Also, I don't know if this is normal but opening one browser window with Microsoft Edge uses about 310 mb of memory. My email client is Mozilla Thunderbird which has been freezing as well.  This morning I came in and had a blue screen so I did a hard reboot.  I'm not sure where to go from here.  Can anyone help?

Advertisements

dmccoy

dmccoy

GeekU Junior

• GeekU Junior
  • 1,295 posts

The above is good advice. It sounds like you may have a mindump file that I can analyze for you.

1. Click on Start menu
  2. Type in command
  3. Right click on Command Prompt in list and select Run as Administrator
  4. Copy and Paste the command into the command console

copy %SystemRoot%\minidump\*.dmp "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\"&dxdiag /t %Temp%\dxdiag.txt&copy %Temp%\dxdiag.txt "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop

1. This will copy all of the minidump files (.dmp) and a file called dxdiag.txt  to your desktop
  2. Compress all the files to diag.zip
  3. Upload the file diag.zip to your reply

RobGSW

RobGSW

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

The above is good advice. It sounds like you may have a mindump file that I can analyze for you.

1. Click on Start menu
  2. Type in command
  3. Right click on Command Prompt in list and select Run as Administrator
  4. Copy and Paste the command into the command console

copy %SystemRoot%\minidump\*.dmp "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\"&dxdiag /t %Temp%\dxdiag.txt&copy %Temp%\dxdiag.txt "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop

1. This will copy all of the minidump files (.dmp) and a file called dxdiag.txt  to your desktop
  2. Compress all the files to diag.zip
  3. Upload the file diag.zip to your reply

I have the diag.zip file.  How do I upload here?

RobGSW

RobGSW

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Hi RobGSW,

Welcome to Geekstogo forum!

BSoDs can be caused by poorly written device drivers or malfunctioning hardware, such as faulty memory, power supply issues, overheating of components, or hardware running beyond its specification limits.

Please follow my suggestions at below to make sure to deal with future BSoD errors.

1. Uninstall currently installed device drivers and then install latest version of the devices drivers. You have to visit your computer or devices manufacturer website to install latest device drivers.

2. Update all installed applications. Heimdal Free is a program that scans your computer for outdated programs and silently updates them so you are using the latest and most secure versions.

3. Install all of the Windows important updates.

4. If you are overclocking (pushing the components beyond their design) you should revert to default at least until the crashing is solved. If you don't know what it is you probably are not overclocking.

5. Use SpeedFan to monitor temperatures in computers, overheating can cause BSOD.

6. Use Memtest86+ disc to check system memory's (RAM's) for errors.

7. Use CrystalDiskInfo to check SMART health report of the hard disk drive (HDD).

Click the url links for the website to follow instructions on how to do hardware diagnostics:
- http://www.carrona.org/diag.html
- http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html
- http://www.carrona.org/strpdown.html

Also repair NTFS file system errors and bad sectors by opening a Command Prompt by clicking Start Menu --> All Programs --> Accessories, right-click on Command Prompt, and open it as an administrator. In Windows Vista and later versions of Window operating systems type cmd.exe into Start Screen or Start Menu, right-click on Cmd.exe, and open it as an administrator.

At the Command Prompt type following command and press Enter key.

Chkdsk  C:  /r

You will be prompted to schedule a error checking of C: partition, type Y and press Enter key. Next time you reboot your computer error checking will start, this may take some time to finish it all depends on size of your computer hard disk and data store on it.

You should also repair any corrupted Windows system files by executing Sfc /Scannow command.

Use Malwarebytes AdwCleaner adware cleaner software.

I am in the process of downloading these tools.  I installed speedfan and it is showing Core 0 and Core 1 as overheating. I chose "automatic speed fan".  Please let me know if I should do something else with speed fan. 

dmccoy

dmccoy

GeekU Junior

• GeekU Junior
  • 1,295 posts

Click on the More Reply Options button on the bottom left of the reply window. Then you will see the Attach Files option at the bottom to upload your files. You can also upload to a file sharing site such as dropbox, google drive, onedrive, etc and share the link

dmccoy

dmccoy

GeekU Junior

• GeekU Junior
  • 1,295 posts

Agree, we need to get your temperatures down first to prevent it from overheating or the rest is useless until then.

RobGSW

RobGSW

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Click on the More Reply Options button on the bottom left of the reply window. Then you will see the Attach Files option at the bottom to upload your files. You can also upload to a file sharing site such as dropbox, google drive, onedrive, etc and share the link

Here it is. 

dmccoy

dmccoy

GeekU Junior

• GeekU Junior
  • 1,295 posts

Sorry I dont see any files?

Here is a free file sharing site you can use 

http://www.filedropper.com/

RobGSW

RobGSW

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

I am in the process of downloading these tools.  I installed speedfan and it is showing Core 0 and Core 1 as overheating. I chose "automatic speed fan".  Please let me know if I should do something else with speed fan.

You should clean all the dust and dirt from CPU, Fan and other components. You should also clean and apply new thermal paste to CPU.

Is there a link for directions on where to get thermal paste and how to apply it?

RobGSW

RobGSW

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Sorry I dont see any files?

Here is a free file sharing site you can use 

http://www.filedropper.com/

Sorry, I think I forgot to hit attach this file before hitting add reply.  Here it is. Attached File  diag.zip.zip   12.11KB   217 downloads

RobGSW

RobGSW

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Hi RobGSW,

Welcome to Geekstogo forum!

BSoDs can be caused by poorly written device drivers or malfunctioning hardware, such as faulty memory, power supply issues, overheating of components, or hardware running beyond its specification limits.

Please follow my suggestions at below to make sure to deal with future BSoD errors.

1. Uninstall currently installed device drivers and then install latest version of the devices drivers. You have to visit your computer or devices manufacturer website to install latest device drivers.

2. Update all installed applications. Heimdal Free is a program that scans your computer for outdated programs and silently updates them so you are using the latest and most secure versions.

3. Install all of the Windows important updates.

4. If you are overclocking (pushing the components beyond their design) you should revert to default at least until the crashing is solved. If you don't know what it is you probably are not overclocking.

5. Use SpeedFan to monitor temperatures in computers, overheating can cause BSOD.

6. Use Memtest86+ disc to check system memory's (RAM's) for errors.

7. Use CrystalDiskInfo to check SMART health report of the hard disk drive (HDD).

Click the url links for the website to follow instructions on how to do hardware diagnostics:
- http://www.carrona.org/diag.html
- http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html
- http://www.carrona.org/strpdown.html

Also repair NTFS file system errors and bad sectors by opening a Command Prompt by clicking Start Menu --> All Programs --> Accessories, right-click on Command Prompt, and open it as an administrator. In Windows Vista and later versions of Window operating systems type cmd.exe into Start Screen or Start Menu, right-click on Cmd.exe, and open it as an administrator.

At the Command Prompt type following command and press Enter key.

Chkdsk  C:  /r

You will be prompted to schedule a error checking of C: partition, type Y and press Enter key. Next time you reboot your computer error checking will start, this may take some time to finish it all depends on size of your computer hard disk and data store on it.

You should also repair any corrupted Windows system files by executing Sfc /Scannow command.

Use Malwarebytes AdwCleaner adware cleaner software.

I thought it would be helpful to know the temps on the CPU's.  Core 0 shows 66 degrees C and Core 1 shows 59 degrees C.  They fluctuate up and down just a tiny bit. 

dmccoy

dmccoy

GeekU Junior

• GeekU Junior
  • 1,295 posts

I thought it would be helpful to know the temps on the CPU's.  Core 0 shows 66 degrees C and Core 1 shows 59 degrees C.  They fluctuate up and down just a tiny bit. 

Did you do something to help with the temps? Is this a desktop or laptop. Thermal paste can be purchased many places. Here is a link on amazon for an idea. Also search youtube for how to's there are many.

I will go over your dumps and let you know what I find. It may take me a day or two to go through them.