Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Startup error - looping (Resolved).

- - - - -

Best Answer phillpower2 , 14 April 2018 - 07:30 AM

If not tried already please see the DataSafe Local Backup 2.0 and PC Restore guides here if you can do this you can download the following suggested Windows 10 ISO on the Dell rather than... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

ruth75

ruth75

• Pip
  • 5 posts
c:\wndows\system32\logfiles\srt\srttrail.txt

I keep receiving the above error on my Dell xps 8700 desktop - none of the repair/restore options work, it just loops round. I can get into the troubleshooting and command prompt area and have followed several YouTube fixes, none of which have worked. Any other ideas please?

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Hello ruth75,

Sounds like Windows has become corrupt, the HDD has issues or a combination of both.

c:\wndows\system32\logfiles\srt\srttrail.txt 

Only of any use if you can actually access the HDD as it is the start up repair info.

Couple of questions;

Is there any data on the HDD that you would like to try and recover.

Was Windows 10 installed as an upgrade from Windows 8.1.

Do you have Windows 10 media or access to another computer that has an internet connection, a DVD burner and blank DVD, if no blank DVD do you have a spare USB thumb drive with a storage capacity of at least 8GB.

ruth75

ruth75

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi, thank you for the prompt response - there is nothing overly important to be recovered. Yes, it was. Windows 8.1 and upgraded to 10. I can gain access to another PC if required as have no windows 10 disc/access. I have a spare 32gb USB memory stick.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
✓  Best Answer

If not tried already please see the DataSafe Local Backup 2.0 and PC Restore guides here if you can do this you can download the following suggested Windows 10 ISO on the Dell rather than another computer. 

You can download a Windows 10 ISO for free from here please select the second option that allows you to create a USB device for use on another computer,  if you need to do a clean install of Windows 10 you will need to reinstall the Dell drivers and starting with the chipset drivers first, Dell drivers from here

You are welcome btw  :)

NB: Not going to be around for an hour or so now but will check back on my return.

ruth75

ruth75

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
No luck with the top option, however my dad has created a Windows 10 ISO disk on his PC from the link you gave above, I will collect this soon and give It a try, assuming I just need to boot from disk and follow any onscreen instructions and then hopefully, I can access the dell link to obtain the drivers. Thank you for your help, I'll let you know how it goes.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

If the ISO is on a DVD disk you will need to change the boot sequence in the BIOS so that the computer boots from the DVD drive and not the HDD, be sure to save the new settings before you exit the BIOS, once done, place the DVD in the drive, restart the computer then follow the on screen instructions.

Please check for a Repair this PC option first, if there is no such option, clean install and then install the Dell drivers if you have internet access, you may not if Windows does not have any generic drivers for your LAN/wireless device which Windows 10 should have as Dell does support Windows 10 on your model of computer.

While waiting on the ISO see if you are able to run the Dell built in diagnostic tool, to access the tool continually tap the F12 key when you restart the computer and right up until just after the Dell splash screen has appeared.

You are welcome  :)

ruth75

ruth75

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thank you for your assistance with this - I ran the dvd, the repair option did not work, so I've started afresh. Prior to this, I was also able to run the dell diagnostics, which found no issues, all green ticks including the hard drive. It appears to be automatically downloading the drivers in the background, so I'm leaving it switched on. Tomorrow I will begin reinstalling the missing software/applications. Thanks again for your help.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

You are welcome and good work on your behalf  :thumbsup:

Any further problems or questions while reinstalling your software/applications don`t hesitate to come back here.