Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

malware stopped all process of antivirus protection [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Gary R

Gary R

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 445 posts
Windows Defender should have started on its own, but best to check. If it is still switched off, then switch it back on.

As far as I can see your computer is now clear of infection and we can now remove FRST.

Please do the following ....
  • Start FRST in a similar manner to when you ran a scan earlier, but this time when it opens ....
  • Press Ctrl+y (Ctrl and y keys at the same time)
  • A blank randomly named .txt Notepad file will open.
  • Copy and paste the following into it ....
CreateRestorePoint:
DeleteQuarantine:
  • Press Ctrl+s to save fixlist.txt
NOTICE: This script was written specifically for this user. Running it on another machine may cause damage to your operating system
  • Now press the Fix button once and wait.
  • FRST will process fixlist.txt
  • When finished, it will produce a log fixlog.txt in the same folder/directory as FRST64.exe
  • Please check the log to make sure the fix has worked, if it hasn't please let me know.
If the fix ran OK, then please delete the following files and folders ....
  • C:\FRST
  • C:\Users\admin\Desktop\Frst64.exe
  • C:\Users\admin\Desktop\fixlog.txt
  • C:\Users\admin\Desktop\Frst.txt
  • C:\Users\admin\Desktop\Addition.txt
Please read the article below which will give you a few suggestions for how to minimise your chances of getting another infection.

Advertisements

jmailf2

jmailf2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Thanks, I stalled plex and everything is good.

If I install Google chrome will it also install chromium? And what is chromium? A virus?
Reason I am asking is because last time I installed chrome I saw chromium start up and install...this is when the computer was infected...

Gary R

Gary R

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 445 posts
The only Chromium I know is an open-source browser based on Chrome ... https://en.wikipedia...m_(web_browser)... I can't see why it would get installed with Chrome since they're totally seperate downloads ....

Chrome ... https://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/

Chromium ... https://www.chromium...wnload-chromium

When you downloaded your previous version of Chrome, did you source it directly from Google (as I did above), or did you download it from a 3rd party site (like say download.com, or softonic, etc) because some 3rd party sites will bundle stuff with your download.

It's always best to download things direct from the "manufacturer", and don't be tempted to use "torrent" downloads to speed things up either, torrent use is the quickest way to pick up an nfection that I know of.

I've been removing malware from people's machines for about 14 years now (mostly at other sites than G2G) and in that time the vast majority of people I've helped had one thing in common .... they used P2P (torrent) programs .... and P2P (torrent) has pretty much always been the malware writer's delivery vehicle of choice.

jmailf2

jmailf2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
I don't recall what I used the first, might have been dowload.com. yeah I try to always use the right source. Since I keep my computer always logged in, my kids sometimes get on it without me knowing. Might have to start locking it down now. Is AVG a good antivirus to use, or should I just use Malwarbytes?

Gary R

Gary R

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 445 posts

Not a fan of AVG these days, it used to be a good program, but these days I wouldn't put it on any machine I owned.  I feel the same about Avast, which also used to be a good free AV program.

The version of Windows Defender that's fitted in Windows 10 is much improved on the versions fitted in earlier versions of Windows, and is probably adequate for your real-time protection. You can run scans with the free version of Malwarebytes now and again if you feel you have need to.

The free version of Malwarebytes unfortunately does not come with real time protection, and you have to buy a license if you want that.

To be honest, your browser habits are much more influential on whether you contract an infection or not, than what AV program you have installed.

If you read the article I linked you to earlier ... http://www.malwarere...=557960#p557960... it should expand a little on what I'm able to post here.

Hope that's answered your question, unless you have any more, then as far as I'm concerned this topic is finished, and you're clear to go.

jmailf2

jmailf2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
No I think I am good now, thanks for all your help.

Gary R

Gary R

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 445 posts

You're welcome. xsmile.png.pagespeed.ic.5Yux4gu5_h.png

Glad we were able to get things resolved.

Good luck, and keep safe.

Gary R

Gary R

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 445 posts

Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.