Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

After a matter of minutes my screen turns black (Resolved).

- - - - -

Best Answer ladislao , 08 May 2018 - 11:15 AM

Hi FreebooterThanks for a very comprehensive answer.I never got to try your solution because i do not have the windows install cd, (and i do not now if i could make on with a cd burner and another... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

Lakenton

Lakenton

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Bought a prebuit pc in december 2016, been running smoothly until 3 days ago.

-CPU: Intel I5 6600K @3,5GHZ, overclocked to 4,3 (core voltage 1,2)
-Motherboard: MSI Z170A Tomahawk (MS-7970). BIOS version 1,9.
-GPU: Nvidia GTX 1070 Palit
-Memory: G-Skill 1066MHZ one chip of 4Gb Ram and one of 8Gb Ram.
-Monitor: Panasonic Plasma 42" 2011 modell

Problem: Screen turn black after 10 minutes to 2 hours. The fans will speed up to max as this happens. Temperatures are good though, I monitor them on MSI and Palit software.

I use this computer for games, videos and digital art.

No new software or hardware has been added the last few weeks.

So far I have run Malwarebytes and Kaparsky free.
On device manager I reinstalled the previous Graphic Driver, when this did not change things, I installed the newest one through Nvidia Experience. I ran sfc/scannow. I cleaned windows image with the dat file of Wagner mentioned here above and I ran DDU with a clean install (offline) with the newest driver found on the Nvidia site.
cleardot.gif

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

:welcome:   Lakenton,

Would suggest that you restore the MBs default factory settings in the BIOS while you troubleshoot, OCing can cause instability at the best of times and will certainly make matters worse on an unstable system, make sure that the power plan settings in Windows are set to Balanced and not High Performance as that on its own can cause problems.

Can you post the brand and model name or number of the power supply (PSU).

Download then run Speccy (free) and post the resultant url for us, details here, this will provide us with information about your computer hardware + any software that you have installed that may explain the present issue/s. 

To publish a Speccy profile to the Web:

In Speccy, click File, and then click Publish Snapshot.

In the Publish Snapshot dialog box, click Yes to enable Speccy to proceed.

Speccy publishes the profile and displays a second Publish Snapshot. You can open the URL in your default browser, copy it to the clipboard, or close the dialog box.

Lakenton

Lakenton

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Hi Phillpower2

Thanks for your answer. The powersupply is so well hidden, I have to unscrew the whole box to get to see the specs. I guess it is 800 watt, I cant remember with certainty though, but it has been running flawlessly for 18 months always with the same power supply and always the same OC.

I went in the Bios just now and set the CPU speed to 3,5 instead of 4,3 just to see if it will make a difference so this is the speed you will see in the link below.

Here is the link to speccy: http://speccy.pirifo...eFskIFdIJUmaiPI

I include a Farbar recovery scantool, just in case it can be useful to you.I copy and post in a post below.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Sorry Lakenton but we need the exact PSU details and for you to properly restore the MBs default factory settings in the BIOS.

Couple of things of note in Speccy, they may or may not be the cause of the issue/s that you are having.

You have multiple AV programs running which will cause all sorts of problems and could actually leave you unprotected if they cancel each other out, see info below;

Antivirus
Kaspersky Free
Antivirus: Enabled
Virus Signature Database: Up to date
Windows Defender
Antivirus: Disabled
Malwarebytes
Antivirus: Enabled

Windows 8, 8.1 and 10 come with an improved Windows Defender, it offers the same real-time anti-virus/anti-malware protection as Microsoft Security Essentials. Windows Defender also shares the same malware signature definitions as Microsoft Security Essentials, and Forefront Endpoint Protection. Technically, Microsoft Security Essentials has not been renamed Windows Defender, or combined with it in Windows 8, 8.1 and 10 (Defender info courtesy of admin).

Using Windows Defender in Windows 8/8.1 and 10 will free up resources taken up by any third party AV software + it will reduce the possibility of any conflicts.

If any AV product that you have is a paid for version you should always make sure that you have a copy of the product key kept somewhere safe just in case you ever wish to reinstall it.

Decide on which AV you wish to keep, uninstall the other, restart and test, if still the same issue please try restarting in Safe Mode only (no networking) then post back with an update for us.

Kaspersky removal tools here

Malwarebytes Cleanup Utility here

You are low on free storage space on the C: drive/partition where Windows is installed;

Partition 2

Partition ID: Disk #0, Partition #2
Disk Letter: C:
File System: NTFS
Volume Serial Number: 864B686E
Size: 223 GB
Used Space: 188 GB (84%)

Free Space: 34,2 GB (16%)

For Windows to be able to run efficiently and to be able to update you need to have between 20 and 25% of the partition or drive available as free storage space at all times, if you don`t you risk Windows becoming corrupt or not being able to update which puts you at risk of malware attack, 

I include a Farbar recovery scantool, just in case it can be useful to you.I copy and post in a post below.

FRST are only used on the malware removal forums but thanks for the thought.

ladislao

ladislao

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Hello Phillpower

I am Lakenton's father and it was me who suggested he should ask his question here.

Now I have a problem after running the kasparsky removal program (I've had since a long time kasparsky on my laptop, and also malewarebytes which I added two days ago).

So, I ran the kasparsky remove tool on my laptop and was asked to restart the computer, but the windows-icon in the lower left corner did not respond to my click. I held down the powerbutton untill it closed. Upon starting again it now will not go beyond the user sign-in screen, I click enter and the screen turns black, only the mouse arrow is working.

I ran Windows Troubleshooting by pushing 'delete' as the computer starts, and it said it could not manage to repair windows nor fix startup procedure....

What do I do now?

Do you suggest a clean install of windows?

BTW, my laptop was working fine, I just wanted to revert back to Windows Defender.

The laptop is a HP ENVY Touchsmart 15-j155nf ,  i7, 16 ram, with Win 10 installed

Thanks a lot for taking your time to answer, your help is really appreciated.

EDIT: I just tried system restore from the troubleshooting menu but it failed

Edited by ladislao, 20 April 2018 - 06:35 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Hello ladislao,

Sorry to hear that you are having computer issues but can I ask that you start your own thread, members are advised to only address one computer problem at a time so as to avoid any possible confusion and folk posting inside another members thread looking for their own help (hijacking) is not appropriate for the same reason.

Thank you for understanding.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Not heard back from you Lakenton, do you still require assistance or is the issue now resolved, an update would be appreciated.

ladislao

ladislao

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
✓  Best Answer

Hi Freebooter

Thanks for a very comprehensive answer.

I never got to try your solution because i do not have the windows install cd, (and i do not now if i could make on with a cd burner and another laptop i have)

So when system restore did not work out, i ventured a clean install (keeping my files) and it worked fine, the laptop runs as it should.

About Lakenton who had the issue with the screen becoming black, this is sorted as well.

I can only guess why, whether it is because I downloaded the latest graphics driver from Nvidia and installed it while offline in safe-mode, if it is due to the CPU no longer being OC'ed, or something else alltogether.

In short : these issues are fixed, thanks for great help from both of you!