Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

cant get 98 to detect large hard drive

• Please log in to reply

teh incredible DOS

teh incredible DOS

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
i can't seem to get an update for my old compaq, installed 160GB HDD, and windows 98 SE, but foolishly did not partition the drive, now it can only detect 8.00GB, is there a good way to solve this problem without formatting? and if not how would i go about partitioning once i have formatted?
:tazz:

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
If you bought a new hard drive it should have a software CD with it. If you're using the new drive as a slave you'll need to install drive overlay on the master drive. If you're using it as a master things get a lot more complicated because Compaq partitions the drive into into C: and D: drives. What you MIGHT be able to do, haven't tried this, is the use the disk softwate to make a 9gb partition and a partition that takes up the remainder of the drive and let Compaq install windows in the first partition, which would be split in two. And you'll need to install drive overlay on it too. By all means read the Help section in the drive software, and use any guide they have with it.

Also win98 has an update for larger drives, so get that update. :tazz:

Beast

Beast

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
How old is that computer?

Several years ago, I think when the processor speeds were around 300-350 GHz (someone else may be able to specify this better), the BIOS limited the usable disk size to 8 GB. So, if your processor is around that frequency or slower, the solution is probably to purchase a new IDE controller, to put in a free PCI slot.

/Rob - Simply the Beast

screwy_looie

screwy_looie

• PipPip
  • 86 posts
wot does it mean to format a drive

teh incredible DOS

teh incredible DOS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
i tried to use Partition Magic, but it was to no avail, the program tried to partition only the detected amount of course. i will have to try the IDE suggestion, seems the most probable solution. The reason i asked is because i don't want to lose the data i put on the drive. but if i can reformatt i can start the whole process over and at least detect the 137GB that is possible with partitions, and make a several 8GB partitions. hopefully the IDE update will help to detect the rest. if not atleast i got most of it. thanks for the help. :tazz:

Beast

Beast

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
DANGER!

:tazz: ;) ;)

If you connect the drive to a new IDE controller, the partition may not be interpreted correctly. So, BEFORE moving the drive from one controller to another, make a backup of the important files you have on the drive, or you risk losing everything.

I recommende you remove the existing partition and create a new one.

/Rob

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
I'm a little confused. My Compaq came with a 4 GB HD. I installed a 40 GB Maxtor. I don't remember what all I did. It may have just been the update for larger sizes that was mentioned in a previous note. All I remember is not having any problem using most all, if not all of my 40 GB. I never had to do the more compicated things previously mentioned.

bamakodaker

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts

I'm a little confused. My Compaq came with a 4 GB HD. I installed a 40 GB Maxtor. I don't remember what all I did. It may have just been the update for larger sizes that was mentioned in a previous note. All I remember is not having any problem using most all, if not all of my 40 GB. I never had to do the more compicated things previously mentioned.

bamakodaker

View Post

Mostly it depends on the BIOS in the system. But for drives larger than the BIOS or operating system limitations you need to have drive overlay software installed on the boot device. You may be able to go to the drive mfrs. website to download the software for formatting the drive and installing overlay software. I've done it and it's easy and it works well. You just have to follow the instructions and procedures carefully.

Edited by Tyger, 04 August 2005 - 05:30 PM.

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
Well, I'm right at the edge. I went from 4GB to 40 GB. Now I have to go to a 120 so I'm going to have to learn all over! Did I see some notes about the correct way to clear, defrag, install on a new HD? Then I'm going to set the new one to Master and see if I can recover/copy any information on the old HD (set to slave). I need info on partitioning. Seems like there should be one of those Top of the Topic spots that give the basic, general information about installing HD's.

I also need to search for info on whether I should upgrade to XP since I'm told it better handles larger HD's.

All this is to try and keep an older computer to last another 6-7 months.

I appreciate any help and pointers.

bamakodaker

teh incredible DOS

teh incredible DOS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
problem is solved, i found some software that works with my hard drive to help in the partitioning process, and with a few updates, i was able to get about 153 gigs out of the 160 i started with, thanks for the help everyone. :tazz: