Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

UPS setup

• Please log in to reply

Rickles

Rickles

• PipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Hi,

I have a Digitech MP5201 UPS and after a short stay in the hospital I came back to find the computer I use had been moved and the cables were all mixed up.

On the back panel it has 2 female sockets

Power cord==I connected that ok.

USB plug.

The tower is plugged into one of the female sockets and is running well.

What do I do with the remaining.

I have also lost the manual.

Regards

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

USB could be for many things such as a mouse, keyboard, printer, external drive, USB extension cable and/or hub, etc.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

the USB port on a UPS is usually for UPS control. you usually have some software installed that can talk to the UPS, that way when certain conditions are met (like, battery life is X%) certain actions are taken...usually to gracefully shutdown the computer before the battery dies.

TooNew2

TooNew2

• PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

In a quick internet search, I found This Site for a company which used to sell it and which had a short description, part of which is below:

"...Once the uninterruptible power supply (UPS) is installed, it will constantly monitor the mains supply and switch to battery power and enable the system to be shut down without data loss. The included software can even be set up to save your data and close down your computer automatically if the power fails while you are away from your desk. ..."

If you originally installed the provided software, it should still be on your system. I found a (pdf.) manual for what looks like a very similar model (link Here), which says the following about the computer connection:

"USB communication port and software
Digitech Pro comes with a CD and USB cable, you can connect your Digitech Pro UPS
to your PC via the USB port. When you load the software to your computer (Windows,
Linux or Mac compatible), you can monitor your UPS from your monitor or you can
program your UPS on how to function in case of a power failure. Digitech Pro is a
smart UPS and can be controlled through your computer or it can make a orderly
shutdown by saving all your application data, closing your software and shutting
down your operating system and finally shutting down your computer."

BTW, it's always good to copy and paste links like that into a new tab, just to be sure what they actually say before opening them.

Rickles

Rickles

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 629 posts

TwoNew2 ,

What a useful link.

I sent them an email and they are sure they have the original software.

Thank you

Regards

TooNew2

TooNew2

• PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

You're welcome.

I see lots of things thrown away because people don't have the time or energy to fix them, or even to give them away to someone who can. It's rewarding to be able to help solve your problem and to return some of the help I've gotten here.

BTW, have you ever heard of the Repair Cafe, where volunteers attempt repairs of devices/stuff/things customers bring in, from old lamps, toasters, & blenders,  kids toys,... to bicycles and even computers? It primarily deals with 'hardware' problems but occasionally solutions are as simple as showing owners how to properly operate devices. Rarely as detailed as what happens on this site, and surely not in competition with it.

Edit:  Here is a link to a page describing the history of the RC program, which is actually a better place to start reading about it:

https://repaircafe.org/en/about/

Edited by TooNew2, 03 May 2018 - 06:11 PM.

Rickles

Rickles

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Hi TwoNew2,

This problem is sorted.

That company did not have the software but they found a copy of it and sent it to me.

I am off to look at the Repair Cafe.

Thanks again for the help.

Regards