Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

JAVA on Windows XP X64 (Resolved).

Best Answer phillpower2 , 25 April 2018 - 03:28 AM

Hello Denisejm, The use of Java has only been recommended on a "needs must" basis for years for various security reasons and the advice to users most often has been enable and disable it... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

Denisejm

Denisejm

• PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

I use Windows XP x64.  My pc is about 12 years old.  I'm not sure if JAVA was ever needed on it but JAVA 8 Update 161 is installed.  I use my pc to watch .avi videos that are stored in my pc and to go on line for email, Amazon, Twitter, etc.  I get notifications from JAVA that updates are available.  Do I need it for the uses I mentioned?  Can I uninstall it without it causing Windows, videos or the internet to have problems running or do I need to keep updating it?

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
✓  Best Answer

Hello Denisejm,

The use of Java has only been recommended on a "needs must" basis for years for various security reasons and the advice to users most often has been enable and disable it as and when required and always make sure that you have the latest version if you really must use it, as you are running XP you have the additional problem of XP no longer being supported by Microsoft and this means that any third party software that you may use such as Java may have vulnerabilities that can be more easily exploited by the online bad guys, Java actually advise that Java 8 may not install correctly on XP machines and if by chance it does they do not guarantee that it will run properly, see info here and here

I would suggest that you create a new system restore point, uninstall Java and test, any problems with the software that you presently use not being able to run install an older version of Java such as 7, if everything runs ok without Java, leave it uninstalled.

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Thanks very much.  I heard that it has vulnerabilities.  I don't know if my pc ever uses it or why it would so I thought I'd ask.

I'll let you know how things work out.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Sensible thing to do if you are unsure  :thumbsup:

From what you use the computer for I can`t really see that you will need Java, it may depend on what browser you are using being that you are running XP.

You are welcome btw  :)

Denisejm

Denisejm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

I've removed Java and haven't had any problems on line (Firefox), opening files or programs all day.  I'm happy to be rid of it.  Thanks very much!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

You are welcome and thank you for the follow up  :thumbsup: