Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

problems after installing new power supply.

power supply gaming pc

• Please log in to reply

FreeBooter

FreeBooter

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,329 posts

I agree with 123Runner.

Advertisements

Lucky Dearly

Lucky Dearly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts

well we got everything in and now it powers up but only for a second before it all goes off again. I dunno what else to do. I checked the connections and everything, still nothing.

Lucky Dearly

Lucky Dearly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts

The shop should have tried to match the CPU to a compatible board or attempted to get the same board.

Well they didn't carry any motherboards, that's the problem there

FreeBooter

FreeBooter

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,329 posts

The repair shop could have found the same motherboard if they had google search the motherboard.

Did the repair shop give you any answer to why computer is not powering on?

Did the repair shop use a different spare power supply unit?

Did the repair shop check and make sure connected RAM modules functioning properly?

Lucky Dearly

Lucky Dearly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts

The repair shop could have found the same motherboard if they had google search the motherboard.

Did the repair shop give you any answer to why computer is not powering on?

Did the repair shop use a different spare power supply unit?

Did the repair shop check and make sure connected RAM modules functioning properly?

1. No they didn't cause they didn't have any motherboards in stock

2. yes, they said the original motherboard was damaged.

3. no they used the current one I have installed in it right now

4. like I said they only used the original motherboard. I didn't get the new one till the day after.

FreeBooter

FreeBooter

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,329 posts

As a PC technician i would have first connect a different working power supply unit to check and to make sure issue is not cause by your power supply unit.  You should ask the PC technician to check if power supply unit is working and its possible test your computer with different working power supply unit. If i was you i would take my PC to different PC technician as this so called PC technician have no idea how to diagnose your computer issues.

Edited by FreeBooter, 29 April 2018 - 01:13 PM.

Lucky Dearly

Lucky Dearly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts

I would but I don't have the money to cover another diagnostic. and the only other power supply I have is the old one but that one is 300 watts and wouldn't be enough to power everything in my pc.

Lucky Dearly

Lucky Dearly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts

ok decided to try to power it back up, I did see a light go on inside the pc (most likely from the motherboard). it was one light and that was all

Lucky Dearly

Lucky Dearly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts

geez where the heck is everybody at? it feels almost dead in here

FreeBooter

FreeBooter

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,329 posts

You have payed for your computer to be repaired but this repair shop took your money without correctly diagnosing your computer problem and give you back the computer without repairing it, i would ask for my money back. 

What you need to do is send back the power supply unit for replacement, we need to make sure power supply unit working correctly.

Reset the RAM modules by reconnecting the RAM modules.
Blow off any loose dust or debris from the RAM using canned air. Hold the module by its edges.
Clean the contacts using a soft cloth that does not leave fibers behind, such as a lens cleaning cloth slightly moistened with rubbing alcohol.

Reseat the memory to see if any difference. If no change-try with one stick of memory, then the other to determine which one is bad, or  if both need replacing.

Advertisements

Lucky Dearly

Lucky Dearly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts

You have payed for your computer to be repaired but this repair shop took your money without correctly diagnosing your computer problem and give you back the computer without repairing it, i would ask for my money back. 

What you need to do is send back the power supply unit for replacement, we need to make sure power supply unit working correctly.

Reset the RAM modules by reconnecting the RAM modules.
Blow off any loose dust or debris from the RAM using canned air. Hold the module by its edges.
Clean the contacts using a soft cloth that does not leave fibers behind, such as a lens cleaning cloth slightly moistened with rubbing alcohol.

Reseat the memory to see if any difference. If no change-try with one stick of memory, then the other to determine which one is bad, or  if both need replacing.

I'll see what happens with the RAM. Though I only have one DDR4 RAM stick in it, the RAM from my old pc's motherboard was incompatible with the new board (the old ones are DDR3 sticks and the new board accepts DDR4 sticks)

FreeBooter

FreeBooter

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,329 posts

You'll probably hear the fans inside your computer turn on, are they, see some or all of the lights on your computer turn on or flash, and then it will all stop?

If you won't see anything on the screen do you hear beeps coming from the computer?

Edited by FreeBooter, 29 April 2018 - 03:50 PM.

Lucky Dearly

Lucky Dearly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts

You'll probably hear the fans inside your computer turn on, are they, see some or all of the lights on your computer turn on or flash, and then it will all stop?

If you won't see anything on the screen do you hear beeps coming from the computer?

I did see the fans go on for a second before turning off, same with the lights on the motherboard. And no I didn't hear any beeps when it was on

Edited by Lucky Dearly, 29 April 2018 - 03:57 PM.

FreeBooter

FreeBooter

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,329 posts

You have to make sure power supply unit is working correctly.

Lucky Dearly

Lucky Dearly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts

how do I go about doing that?