Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop Not Recognizing Its Own Screen... Sometimes

laptop display support help monitor tech support screen

• Please log in to reply

dmccoy

dmccoy

GeekU Junior

• GeekU Junior
  • 1,295 posts

Okay. Since it works with external monitors then I it seems like it is an issue of a loose connection or something bad with the monitor or other hardware.

Advertisements

sam5776

sam5776

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Okay. Since it works with external monitors then I it seems like it is an issue of a loose connection or something bad with the monitor or other hardware.

Okay, is there any way to test this and see if it is true? I'm fairly certain that it's out of warranty so if I have to open it up I will. And how would I go about fixing something like that?

dmccoy

dmccoy

GeekU Junior

• GeekU Junior
  • 1,295 posts

No real way to test other than what you have already done. What is the exact model and serial # of your Toshiba laptop?

sam5776

sam5776

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

No real way to test other than what you have already done. What is the exact model and serial # of your Toshiba laptop?

It's a Toshiba Satellite S55-C5274 and the Serial no. is 7F203029C. 

dmccoy

dmccoy

GeekU Junior

• GeekU Junior
  • 1,295 posts

Here is a video that shows how to replace the display which may help you check the connections etc. What happens if you go into the bios and leave it there for a while does the screen work correctly?

sam5776

sam5776

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Here is a video that shows how to replace the display which may help you check the connections etc. What happens if you go into the bios and leave it there for a while does the screen work correctly?

That's a great question, I'll try that tonight and get back to you. The thing that really confuses me is that if it were a loose connection or faulty screen, shouldn't it continually go out? Why is it that when it boots correctly and the screen works properly does it not just go back to not working, ya know? If it were I lose connection it wouldn't be consistently on like that.

Edited by sam5776, 04 May 2018 - 08:46 PM.

dmccoy

dmccoy

GeekU Junior

• GeekU Junior
  • 1,295 posts

Up I understand what you are saying however if it does have a loose connection it could cause that type of intermittent behavior. A couple other options you can try to test. 

1. Download and run a live Linux distro such as Cinnamon

Cinnamon 32-bit 64-bit An edition featuring the Cinnamon desktop

2. If you prefer Windows environment the download and install the following:

https://toolslib.net...56-winpese-x86/