Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Recommendations for video editing PC

Video editing PC Custom Build $1000 budget

Best Answer phillpower2 , 29 April 2018 - 11:08 AM

NCash87, any links for something I could buy now that already has what I need would be great.  Some info for you on what may be available and what to look out for when c... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

NCash87

NCash87

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I'm starting to do some video editing, nothing too crazy, just using the Hit Film 4 Express program. However, my current laptop can't handle the editing process and I wanted to get a good desktop PC for editing because I feel I'll get more for the money than if I tried to get an editing laptop. I'm trying to find something around $1,000 that can handle serious editing if needed. I've tried to do some research but it feels like a different language to me. From what I've learned, SSD is good, I should get a stand alone video card, a good amount of Ram, and at minimum a quad core processor. I am still unsure of the specific specs I should be looking for though. Any advice/recommendations for a PC I should get would be greatly appreciated. I may also be interested in a custom build if I could get what I need in that price range and if it would be worth it. But any links for something I could buy now that already has what I need would be great. Thank you!

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
✓  Best Answer

:welcome:   NCash87,

any links for something I could buy now that already has what I need would be great.

Some info for you on what may be available and what to look out for when considering the purchase of a pre built computer.

To keep their prices down system builders cut costs in a number of ways, none of which is beneficial to the customer, the two examples that really wind me up are the use of no name brand PSUs and using a single stick of 8GB RAM rather than 2 Xs 4GB sticks, the former means that should you wish to upgrade to a better video card (or add one if using onboard video) you will also need to upgrade the PSU and the latter means that the RAM will only work in single channel mode as opposed to dual (800MHz instead of 1600MHz for example) another cost cutter is using budget MBs that only have 2 memory slots and no PS/2 ports for a wired keyboard and mouse.

Some pre built examples here

The price of graphics cards and to a point RAM is on the high side atm so we may struggle with a $1000 budget when trying to get you all appropriate parts now, take a look at those at the link and get back to us if you would like a custom parts list put together.