Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help - Lenovo 720s or 520s

• Please log in to reply

Frateno

Frateno

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi!

This is my first post here and I'm looking for some recommendations.

My old Dell XPS14Z just died after 5 years and I need a new laptop

I basically use my computer to work and to DJ. I use traktor and ableton. I wanted to buy a Mac, but i might be a little bit too expensive and as much as my first Dell was amazing, the XPS had many problems. So I'm thinking of switching to Lenovo and this are my 3 favorite options.

Ideally, and for DJ matters, I think a 14'' screen would do better. And so for the cheaper price the 520 could be my best option? What are the differences between the 720 and the 520? 

I'm texting from a Inspiron 5000 13 that I bought today and I'm returning this piece of crap. Looking for recomendations and open to suggestions. Thanks a lot!!

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

Looking at the Tech Specs on the laptops the main difference is the hard drive.  I would think a DJ would need a lot of room for his music collection.  Also a fast boot time would probably be better so of the three the

first link looks better:

It claims:

Storage: Up to 1TB PCIe SSD

tho I am not sure why it doesn't say the exact amount.  Probably an extra cost option.

The second link has:

Storage:

1 TB 5400 RPM

1 TB 5400 RPM+128 GB PCIe SSD

So this must be a choice and I'm sure there is an extra charge for the SSD.  1 TB sounds good but it's a conventional drive so subject to failure (especially if it's a Seagate as they do not last and Lenovo likes to use them).  I suppose option 2 gets you a fast booting SSD with the 1 TB as data storage.  Same problem with the hard drive.

The third link:

Storage: Up to 512GB PCIe SSD

Not as much as the 1st link. 

Also I see some of them offer Nvidia graphics and others just use the standard intel.  Not sure how important this is to a DJ unless you connect to a projector.

Battery life is best with link 1 so if you have to run off battery. 

All three of them seem rather pricey.  You might want to look around some more.

What happened to the old Dell?  Perhaps it could be fixed?