Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Clash of the slicks - or, which laptop to buy?

• Please log in to reply

Borgoff

Borgoff

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Hi guys, browsing the internet for information regarding my conundrum, I found this forum and saw that people got some good answers here, so I decided to ask a question as well.
I am soon buying an ultra-portable computer for general usage - meetings with clients, occasional overseas work, and general multimedia (Netflix, YT, etc.). I'm using mostly Chrome and Notepad++ as well as several background programs for tracking productivity and stuff like that.

The issue that I have is that I've got a coupon for an Aussie store for Microsoft Surface. While the description says "Featuring the new, streamlined and secure Windows 10 S", I've enquired about upgrading to a full version of W10, they said it's doable. The configuration suits me for the most part, though I'd prefer 16 gigs of ram. Don't be harsh on me, but, I also consider aesthetics important and one of the reasons I'd go with the Surface is its astounding looks :)

On the other hand, I'm also considering the new HP Spectre 13. When I compare the 2 computers - price wise - the HP gives more for approximately the same money (have in mind that in the first link those are Aussie dollars, as well as the fact that I have a discount on that price, some 15% I think).

Bottom line, at the moment I'm more inclined towards the Surface, but I would like to get some advice/opinion from genuine users rather than paid reviewers. Has any of you ever used any of the 2 products, what are your experiences and which one would you recommend before the other?

Sorry for the long post, but I'm a storyteller :)

Cheers!

Advertisements

Thunderr

Thunderr

• Pip
  • 4 posts

I had 2 HP laptops in my life and both of them did not work properly, so I don't trust the HP brand anymore, sorry. I would vote for Microsoft Surface.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts

well looking at them I think the HP gives you more value for fewer dollars.  General reviews suggest that performance are comparable, battery life is great.