Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I need Help!

• Please log in to reply

Hot-And-Single

Hot-And-Single

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I deledted the vmm32.vxd off my harddrive because i was cleaning up my comptuer so it would run faster and it deleted things off my hard drive that i didn't need anymore and it was under the C: file and it shreaded now my computer won't start it just has a error messeage that says vmm32.vxd is required to run windows . If this file is not in your path you may need to reinstall windows .I tried to do that but it won;t even let me in safe mode i can only go into that command prompt only i have tha windows 98 second edition disc and windows 98 boot disc floppy disc but it won't work and i made a startup disc wen i first got tha computer but i don't kno how to start it in commmand prompt can you please help me! :tazz: as soon as possible

Edited by Hot-And-Single, 18 June 2005 - 02:20 PM.

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
If you have another computer with the same operating system you can upload the file to a floppy, it's in C:\windows\system, then with the bad computer, turn it on, while it's booting hold down the F8 key, choose MSDOS mode, when you see the prompt put the floppy in the drive and type this at the prompt

copy A:\vmm32.vxd C:\windows\system\

so that it looks like this

C:\>copy A:\vmm32.vxd C:\windows\system\

and hit enter. After a couple of minutes it should say

I file copied

and you should be albe to load windows. :tazz:

Hot-And-Single

Hot-And-Single

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
:tazz: thanks for helping me it worked and i have got windows running and i installed windows 98 again and everything is fine

thanks for all your help ;)

acekat

acekat

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Create a BOOT DISK incase this happens again.

If you are unsure about REMOVING anything
BE CAREFUL when REMOVING anything off C DRIVE (HARD DRIVE) :tazz:

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
You're very welcome and thanks for letting me know how it went. :tazz: