Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop Won't Boot

- - - - -

Best Answer robkbriggs , 21 May 2018 - 08:51 AM

Ok, then you can close this thread. Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

robkbriggs

robkbriggs

• PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

I've got an HP laptop that a friend asked me to look at. She said that starting a couple of months ago, it wouldn't boot into Windows. It's an HP Envy 17t. The behavior that I'm seeing is that when you turn the machine on, it shows the HP splash screen during post, and just has the little circle going around and around.  If you try turning it off and on enough, you may see it trying to do an automatic repair, but that always fails.

I've tried going into a command prompt, and trying the various bootrec options, but no luck so far.

I could just back the information up on it, and reformat, but if possible I'd like to avoid that to avoid having to reinstall all of the programs, preferences, etc.Or at least get it up long enough to clone the info to another hdd.

Is it possible to get the thing booting at least long enough to do that?

Thanks,

Rob

Advertisements

robkbriggs

robkbriggs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

I don't have an installation DVD, it was upgraded from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10, and I'm not even sure where the original media is. I do have a Windows 10 recovery USB, though.

The boot drive is an SSD, do you still want me to follow the same commands?

Thanks,

Rob

robkbriggs

robkbriggs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Here are the results

Bcdedit /enum | find "osdevice" 

osdevice partition=C:

Chkdsk C: /r

Windows has scanned the file system and found no problem.
No further aciton required.

Sfc  /Scannow   /OFFBOOTDIR=C:\   /OFFWINDIR=C:\Windows

Windows Resource protection did not find any integrity violations

wmic diskdrive get status

Status
OK
OK

robkbriggs

robkbriggs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Yes.

robkbriggs

robkbriggs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

That made no difference, the laptop still is not booting into Windows.

Now, instead of hanging on the HP splash screen indefinitely, it seems to be staying there for a few minutes, then retrying again. this continues over and over.

robkbriggs

robkbriggs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

I've already done those commands, without luck, as I indicated in the original post.

Yes, I made sure the file sizes of the backups of the registry hives were not zero. 

robkbriggs

robkbriggs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

I said I tried the various bootrec commands, not a few of them. I didn't think it was necessary to list each, as I'm unaware of more than the four listed above. 

This is the output I received when running them this time;

bootrec /fixmbr

The operation completed successfully

bootrec /fixboot

The operations completed successfully

bootrec /scanos

Successfully scanned windows Windows instllations.
total identified Windows installations: 0
The operation completed successfully.

bootrec /rebuildbcd

Successfully scanned windows Windows instllations.
total identified Windows installations: 0

robkbriggs

robkbriggs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

These are the results I received;

bcdedit /export C:\bcdbackup

attrib c:\boot\bcd -h -r -s

Path not found - C:\boot

robkbriggs

robkbriggs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

The list volume command shows that C: is indeed the system partitions, is you want the entire output, I can post it. Every time you have asked me to post the results of the Bcdedit /enum | find "osdevice", it comes back with the the answer of osdevice partition=c, I can't see why that would change.

Is it possible that the reason it doesn't find the boot folder in C:\ is because in Windows 10, it in the C:\Windows directory?

robkbriggs

robkbriggs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Honestly, you may know what you are doing, but your demeanor from the entire thread has been arrogant. I understand you are a volunteer, and that this is probably not the only thread that you are working on, and that you have other things to do also, but you are supposed to be helping, not making the issue more stressful. It also seems that English is not your first language, as your phrasing doesn't make complete sense.

For example, you say:

Robkbriggs if i did not know what i was doing i will not understand what those commands outputs and how to resolve the errors now Windows 10 installed partition is known as Boot partition not System Partition the EFI or System Reserved partitions are label as a System Partition where BCD  data store is stored which we are trying to repair. Looking at how Windows assigned the C: drive letter to  Boot partition where Windows 10 installed there is a chance that the System Partition is corrupted we will know this after repairing BCD data store file.

To be completely understandable to the average English speaker it should be more like this:

Robkbriggs, if i did not know what i was doing i would not understand what those commands outputs are, and how to resolve the errors. now Windows 10 installed partition is known as Boot partition, not System Partition. The EFI or System Reserved partitions are label as a System Partition, where BCD  data store is stored, which we are trying to repair. Looking at how Windows assigned the C: drive letter to the Boot partition where Windows 10 is installed there is a chance that the System Partition is corrupted. We will know this after repairing BCD data store file.

I told you I would post the entire output if you wanted. All you had to do was say yes, that is what you wanted. You didn't need to post a diatribe on how much you know. You may know what you are doing, but you aren't the only person in the world that does. 

I think at this point it may be better for you to ask someone else to take over this thread. If you want to continue, that's fine with me, but it wouldn't hurt to be little more humble and understanding of the person you are trying to help.

Advertisements

robkbriggs

robkbriggs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

I can give you the results from the dir command. Would you also like me to give you the output from the diskpart list volume command?

Edited by robkbriggs, 09 May 2018 - 10:14 AM.

robkbriggs

robkbriggs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

And my day job is an IT Admin, which I've done for approximately 20 years. At this point I manage a team of IT techs, so I'm much more focused on management than getting involved in fixing PC issues. In addition, since this is a personal thing, it's not right in my opinion to ask my team to do this, so in cases like this I prefer to go outside resources. I've found over the years that this website is a tremendous resource, and I would prefer to use the knowledge of someone on this site who may have the resources and knowledge to fix this issue with a better chance of not messing things up than i would have, given that my experience lately with this sort of thing is not up to par for my standards.

To clear the air, I'm not upset, and I have no issue with continuing with you in this task. You do not need to explain everything to me, as I'm not looking for a tutor. If I question you, it's only for my own clarification, the same as I would do with my own team, or I'm sure your management would do with you, provided they understood the task you were working on. 

The output from the diskpart list volume command is as follows;

Capture.PNG

The output from Dir /s /b /a C:\BCD is as follows;

C:\Windows\Boot\DVD\EFI\BCD

C:\Windows\Boot\DVD\PCAT\BCD

C:\Windows\Panther\Rollback\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\BCD

After that, there are two entries pointing to the C:\Windows\WinSXS directory and a bunch pointing to the C:\Windows.old that are very long. If you need me to type those out, I can.

This is the output from the other drives;

Dir /s /b /a D:\BCD 
D:\boot\BCD
D:\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\BCD

Dir /s /b /a E:\BCD 
File Not Found

Dir /s /b /a G:\BCD
File Not Found 

Dir /s /b /a H:\BCD 
File Not Found

Dir /s /b /a F:\BCD 
F:\efi\microsoft\boot\BCD
F:\boot\BCD

Edited by robkbriggs, 09 May 2018 - 11:30 AM.

robkbriggs

robkbriggs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

The commands executed without error, but after a restart, it is still not booting into Windows. It is staying at the same HP logo screen.

robkbriggs

robkbriggs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

I can type out the commands word for word and post them, but since I can't boot the only way to post a screen shot would be to take an actual picture of the outputs.

robkbriggs

robkbriggs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

I can boot into the Windows Recovery Environment