Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Laptop Won't Boot

- - - - -

Best Answer robkbriggs , 21 May 2018 - 08:51 AM

Ok, then you can close this thread. Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

FreeBooter

FreeBooter

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,313 posts

Looks like Windows 10 have not assign the C: drive letter to System partition you will need to find out which drive letter belongs to System partition.

From Command Prompt execute below commands one at a time:

Diskpart

List Volume

Exit

The List Volume will list all the partitions and there assigned drive letter. You will need to execute Dir /s /b /a D:\Bcd command, replace drive letter D: with drive letters listed by List Volume command one at time till you found the partition drive letter where Bcd file is stored and use this drive letter with Attrib and other commands.

Edited by FreeBooter, 09 May 2018 - 07:49 AM.

Advertisements

robkbriggs

robkbriggs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

The list volume command shows that C: is indeed the system partitions, is you want the entire output, I can post it. Every time you have asked me to post the results of the Bcdedit /enum | find "osdevice", it comes back with the the answer of osdevice partition=c, I can't see why that would change.

Is it possible that the reason it doesn't find the boot folder in C:\ is because in Windows 10, it in the C:\Windows directory?

FreeBooter

FreeBooter

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,313 posts

Robkbriggs if i did not know what i was doing i will not understand what those commands outputs and how to resolve the errors now Windows 10 installed partition is known as Boot partition not System Partition the EFI or System Reserved partitions are label as a System Partition where BCD  data store is stored which we are trying to repair. Looking at how Windows assigned the C: drive letter to  Boot partition where Windows 10 installed there is a chance that the System Partition is corrupted we will know this after repairing BCD data store file.

xx9lNPe.png

I need you to find out drive letter of partition where BCD file is located and use this drive letter with Attrib and other commands.  Use Dir /s /b /a C:\BCD command to locate BCD file.

Edited by FreeBooter, 09 May 2018 - 09:19 AM.

FreeBooter

FreeBooter

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,313 posts

Can you give me the result for Dir command.

Edited by FreeBooter, 09 May 2018 - 09:35 AM.

robkbriggs

robkbriggs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Honestly, you may know what you are doing, but your demeanor from the entire thread has been arrogant. I understand you are a volunteer, and that this is probably not the only thread that you are working on, and that you have other things to do also, but you are supposed to be helping, not making the issue more stressful. It also seems that English is not your first language, as your phrasing doesn't make complete sense.

For example, you say:

Robkbriggs if i did not know what i was doing i will not understand what those commands outputs and how to resolve the errors now Windows 10 installed partition is known as Boot partition not System Partition the EFI or System Reserved partitions are label as a System Partition where BCD  data store is stored which we are trying to repair. Looking at how Windows assigned the C: drive letter to  Boot partition where Windows 10 installed there is a chance that the System Partition is corrupted we will know this after repairing BCD data store file.

To be completely understandable to the average English speaker it should be more like this:

Robkbriggs, if i did not know what i was doing i would not understand what those commands outputs are, and how to resolve the errors. now Windows 10 installed partition is known as Boot partition, not System Partition. The EFI or System Reserved partitions are label as a System Partition, where BCD  data store is stored, which we are trying to repair. Looking at how Windows assigned the C: drive letter to the Boot partition where Windows 10 is installed there is a chance that the System Partition is corrupted. We will know this after repairing BCD data store file.

I told you I would post the entire output if you wanted. All you had to do was say yes, that is what you wanted. You didn't need to post a diatribe on how much you know. You may know what you are doing, but you aren't the only person in the world that does. 

I think at this point it may be better for you to ask someone else to take over this thread. If you want to continue, that's fine with me, but it wouldn't hurt to be little more humble and understanding of the person you are trying to help.

robkbriggs

robkbriggs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

I can give you the results from the dir command. Would you also like me to give you the output from the diskpart list volume command?

Edited by robkbriggs, 09 May 2018 - 10:14 AM.

FreeBooter

FreeBooter

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,313 posts

Robkbriggs sorry for late reply, yes you are correct i'm busy, there is no way i can explain everything i ask you to complete i have tried my best to guide you its not important that i explain everything i already have almost 900 tutorials i don't want to tutor anyone when i'm helping them. Yes English is my second language and when i type fast i make lots of grammar mistakes even do i read before posting. No i'm not the only one who know how to troubleshoot but i'm one of those person who is giving up there time to help strangers i usually get payed as i'm a PC Tech.

Yes i need all outputs from each commands please.

robkbriggs

robkbriggs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

And my day job is an IT Admin, which I've done for approximately 20 years. At this point I manage a team of IT techs, so I'm much more focused on management than getting involved in fixing PC issues. In addition, since this is a personal thing, it's not right in my opinion to ask my team to do this, so in cases like this I prefer to go outside resources. I've found over the years that this website is a tremendous resource, and I would prefer to use the knowledge of someone on this site who may have the resources and knowledge to fix this issue with a better chance of not messing things up than i would have, given that my experience lately with this sort of thing is not up to par for my standards.

To clear the air, I'm not upset, and I have no issue with continuing with you in this task. You do not need to explain everything to me, as I'm not looking for a tutor. If I question you, it's only for my own clarification, the same as I would do with my own team, or I'm sure your management would do with you, provided they understood the task you were working on. 

The output from the diskpart list volume command is as follows;

Capture.PNG

The output from Dir /s /b /a C:\BCD is as follows;

C:\Windows\Boot\DVD\EFI\BCD

C:\Windows\Boot\DVD\PCAT\BCD

C:\Windows\Panther\Rollback\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\BCD

After that, there are two entries pointing to the C:\Windows\WinSXS directory and a bunch pointing to the C:\Windows.old that are very long. If you need me to type those out, I can.

This is the output from the other drives;

Dir /s /b /a D:\BCD 
D:\boot\BCD
D:\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\BCD

Dir /s /b /a E:\BCD 
File Not Found

Dir /s /b /a G:\BCD
File Not Found 

Dir /s /b /a H:\BCD 
File Not Found

Dir /s /b /a F:\BCD 
F:\efi\microsoft\boot\BCD
F:\boot\BCD

Edited by robkbriggs, 09 May 2018 - 11:30 AM.

FreeBooter

FreeBooter

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,313 posts

Thanks for your explanation i understand you want to make sure if i can repair your issue i can if you want i can provide you with information that hopefully will make you trust me.

You have executed Dir command correctly but i need you to found BCD file that is not located on C: partition. I think i see your problem aş i have guested the System partition is corrupted.

The Fat32 partition is the System partition,  please execute following commands.

From Command Prompt execute below commands one at a time:

Diskpart

Select Disk 0

Select volume  5

Assign Letter=W

Exit

bcdboot C:\Windows /s W: /f  ALL

Restart your computer if commands execute without error.

Edited by FreeBooter, 09 May 2018 - 12:30 PM.

robkbriggs

robkbriggs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

The commands executed without error, but after a restart, it is still not booting into Windows. It is staying at the same HP logo screen.

Advertisements

FreeBooter

FreeBooter

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,313 posts

Can you please post a screenshot of following commands outputs:

Diskpart

List volume

robkbriggs

robkbriggs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

I can type out the commands word for word and post them, but since I can't boot the only way to post a screen shot would be to take an actual picture of the outputs.

FreeBooter

FreeBooter

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,313 posts

Are you now having problem booting your computer into Windows Recovery Environment?

If you can boot your computer into Windows Recovery Environment then please post either screenshots of the commands outputs or write the outputs of the commands.

robkbriggs

robkbriggs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

I can boot into the Windows Recovery Environment

FreeBooter

FreeBooter

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,313 posts
Fantastic then please post either screenshots of the commands outputs or write the outputs of the commands.