Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Lost Internet Connection - need help

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,974 posts

Hi,

For the websites problem don't have other ideas besides doing a malware check...

For the links problem check the following link: https://www.slipstic...o-restrictions/

it contains several options...

On older Windows versions this problem could be solved by making Internet Explorer the default browser and then change it to Chrome or other, not sure it continues to work on Windows 10! the page above seems to indicate this works but Internet Explorer must be installed. Do you have IE installed?

Advertisements

jsaklas

jsaklas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts

SD,

I made IE my default web browser, then rebooted, then loaded an Excel workbook and clicked on a hyperlink, but alas, I still got the error messge:

This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer.  Please contact your system administrator.

I am a senior citizen and slow to change, but if I were younger I would switch to LINUX.  I am sick of MS mediocre software.  It is amazing how someone (Gates) could get so rich producing such pitifully average, at best, products.  Excel is the only program worthwhile

I ran Malwarebytes.  It found two simple issues which it quarentined.  This produced no change to my problem.

The link you gave me concentrates on the lose of hyperlinks in Outlook.  I use Thunderbird and all hyperlinks work; they also work from most all URL's, Geeks to Go for example, they just don't work from Excel or Word (the latter being inferior to WordPerfect so I rarely us Word).  Nonetheless, I will try some of the recommended fixes.  I will also uninstall Firefox and reinstall it to see if that works.  If I do that, will I lose my bookmarks, settings, etc.?

Lastly, the most recent posted log shows some problems - are they something with which I should be concerned?

Also, forgive my MS rant - I'm just a little frustrated.

Jim

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,974 posts

Hi,

The links problem usually affects all office applications because they are related.

Found someone with the exact same problem Office 2007 on Windows 10 it fixed the problem by using Control Panel - Programs and Features - Turn Windows features on or off disable Internet Explorer 1, restart and re-enable.

Removing Firefox and reinstalling will not affect your user firefox profile so all is kept, most times what resolves problems is the profile reset that you already did.

Did you create a new user account and test?

Edit: The recent errors listed on the log can be ignored.

jsaklas

jsaklas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts

SD,

I did the following:

Control Panel - Programs and Features - Turn Windows features On or Off.  I then disabled Internet Explorer 11, and rebooted.  I then went back into Programs and Features, enabled IE 11, and the restarted.  It do NOT solve the problem - hyperlinks from Excel and Word still do not work, I still get:

This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions ....blah  blah  blah...............................................

Once I post this I will try removing and then reloading Firefox.  You suggest a new user account.  I don't know what that means -- how do I do it?

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,974 posts

Hi,

Check the following: https://www.howtogee...-in-windows-10/

This will help us know if the problem is system wide or affects only the existing user profiles...

jsaklas

jsaklas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts

SD,

I hope this finds you well -- I've been off the computer for a couple of days.

The msn.com problem:  The problem is the interaction of Kaspersky with Windows 10 with MSN.com   I disabled K and then msn.com works OK.  On my other computer which runs the same K but with WIndows 7, there never was a problem.

The AMTRAK problem:  This problem persists with or without K enabled or disabled.  The error I get is:

Secure Connection Failed

The connection to www.amtrak.com was interrupted while the page was loading.

The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because the authenticity of the received data could not be verified.
    Please contact the website owners to inform them of this problem.

I may try unloading then reloading Kaspersky and see what happens.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Edited by jsaklas, 23 May 2018 - 08:30 PM.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,974 posts

Hi,

This is from one of my posts:

The log show several events related with the SecurityCenter it may be the Antivirus that isn't correctly registered on the system, try to repair the installation to see if it helps.

Did you try the Repair?

jsaklas

jsaklas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts

SD,

Before loading Kaspersky 2018, I emailed their customer service and asked if I would be charged anything or will I be OK until the end of my current contract, 193 days.

Sadly, they answered me telling me the link to download KIS 2018, but they did NOT answer my question about charges.  So, I asked it again.

If there are no charges until I renew in 193 days, then I will load KIS 2018.  Am I correct that the set up program will automatically uninstall my current KIS 2013 when it loads the KIS 2018?

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,974 posts

Hi,

I'm not exactly familiarized with KIS licensing but usually when you have a subscription active on this type of software you can install the latest version without problem.

My suggestion was to use the Repair function of the currently installed version and after that make sure the program check for new program updates.

Edit: Are you sure the version you have is 2013?

Based on this page https://support.kasp...s2013#downloadsits a no longer supported version ( End of Update: 27 February 2016)!

jsaklas

jsaklas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Good Morning SD,

Kaspersky confirmed what you said and permitted me to load KS 2018 without extra charges.  The fix worked; www.msn.com is working properly.  Also I put AMTRAK as an exclusion to Encripted Connections Scanning and now I can load AMTRAK's web pages in Firefox.

However, I discovered another error.  I have a Canon MP 882 printer/scanner/copier that worked perfectly until recently.  It prints and copies OK, but I no longer can scan.  I reloaded the driver (I think the correct one.) from the Canon web-site, but that did not solve the problem.

Should I/we start a new post or continue with this one -- assuming, or course, that you choose to continue to help.  You have done much, so I understand if you want to move on.

Advertisements

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,974 posts

Hi,

I think you only need to start a new thread if you want to eventually attract other people to the topic and receive more help, to get rid of me :)

Searching for "Canon MP 882" only returns PIXMA MX882 and the software that is installed is for Canon MX880 series

The drivers I found are from 2016 seems very old, with the constant Windows 10 changes I wouldn't be surprised if something stop working...

In one of the logs you posted there is an error related with one USB port, try to connect the printer to a different port.

Do you see any error when scanning?

Try to scan and after the error or if nothing happens run Minittolbox with the option "List last 10 Event Viewer Errors" if we are lucky the system records some error that we can search for...