Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Junking an old PC

• Please log in to reply

batpark

batpark

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

After storing an old XP desktop for years thinking I might do something with it someday .... I now want to toss it out. Problem: I have no idea what is still on the hard-drive. Can someone please  tell me how best to delete all the data before I set it out for the trash men?

I am correct, am I not, that there is no more constructive thing to do than junk it? .... wdc

Advertisements

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts

Hi Batpark,

Here's a link to the software that will erase your hard drive beyond hope of recovery by "ordinary"  people

https://dban.org/

I mention ordinary people because if you have had the blueprints of  new nuclear device on your old computer or something similar! then the good folks at CIA, FBI, MI6, Mossad and the FSB might well want to spend a year or two and a few hundred programmers in trying to gain access to the blueprints, but for all ordinary home purposes you should be pretty safe!

Why not install Linux on the computer and donate it to some worthy person who cannot afford to buy a computer for themselves but would like to find out what the Internet is all about.

You will find that installing Linux is good fun and remember your search engine is often your best friend when it comes to learning new tasks.

Regards

paws

batpark

batpark

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

Paws: Thanks for the tips. I will try to fire up the old Dell and apply that scrambler you cited.

I did not realize that were organizations that would accept and re-donate old equipment to people who can use them. Good for them. I'd welcome info on such groups from other GtGers.   .... batpark

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts

Yes, use DBAN to wipe the complete disk.

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts

Hi batpark

Your local computer club, church, youth group, U3A, library, charities co-ordinator, local authority (City Hall?) Salvation Army, Sports clubs and the like would be able to steer you in the right direction.

In the UK (khere I'm based) each local authority (City Hall?) has lists of voluntary organisations and often funds these sort of arrangements especially for disadvantaged groups including oldsters and youngsters.

I used to run several computer repair shops and regularly refurbished older " pensioned off" computers and donated them to local good causes... there was always a good demand for them and for folks who just could not afford buying even the cheapest new machine it often was an "antidote" to social isolation, loneliness and the difficulty of keeping in touch with kith and kin often dispersed to all four corners of the world...

It also gives the donor a nice warm feeling!

All best

paws

Manish Bhickta

Manish Bhickta

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Hello batpark,

Its always recommended to wipe the drive before donating or selling. Since its your old XP desktop you may forget but it may contains your bank details, credit card details or even personal photographs and it may a source of opportunity for cyber thiefs. Its best to wipe with DBAN, BitRaser, Eraser or any other useful tool and live a stree-free live.

After wiping please handed over to any needy people in your locality. Your desktop can bring smiles to many faces. :)

batpark

batpark

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

Manish: Thanks for your advice.

batpark

batpark

batpark

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

All: I appreciate the advice I have received and will attempt to follow it. But suppose you have an old PC with mechanical or software problems such that you can't open it and thus  can't download any drive cleaner?

How can you protect yourself against passing along personal info on the hard drive?

... batpark

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts

Hi batpark, Windows does not need to load when using DBAN, You can just burn Dban to a CD/DVD and boot from that ...Dban will do the rest.

If there are hardware problems with the machine then they can either be fixed or the hard drive removed before the machine is recycled

Regards

paws

Manish Bhickta

Manish Bhickta

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Agree with Paws, DBAN & other wiping software are independent of OS and they start functioning from the BIOS itself.

Try to connect the old hard drive in any working PC/Laptop as a external HDD.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts

Or just take a hammer to the drive, or run a series of drill bits through it, or just completely take it apart and throw the pieces out.