Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

"Be My Eyes" App - Lending your vision to the blind or visuall

• Please log in to reply

britechguy

britechguy

• PipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Hello All,

To the moderators, if this really should be in "Off Topic" rather than Mobile Apps then please feel free to move it there.  Since what I'm about to discuss is a mobile app for both the Android and iOS platforms I thought I'd put it here.

In real life one of the ways I eke out a living is as an assistive technology tutor for screen reading software and magnification software for individuals who have significant visual impairment or are blind.  As a result, I participate in several online groups related to screen reading technology.  The other day on one of those groups someone made reference to using Be My Eyes when setting up either Windows or BIOS/UEFI or similar where a screen reader could not yet be active to provide feedback.

I had never heard of it before, and then someone mentioned Be My Eyes again in private messages in response to a post I made regarding Accessibility Development & Testing Resources.  After checking out their website, and signing up as a volunteer, I really felt that they do deserve as much publicity and word-of-mouth promotion as they can get.  I have absolutely no affiliation with, other than as a volunteer, or financial interest of any kind in Be My Eyes.

The concept is simple, allowing blind or low vision individuals to use their smartphones, and specifically their smartphones' video calling capability, to connect with a volunteer when they are in a situation where "only vision will do," and there are a lot of cases where there is no substitute for vision.  I signed up as a volunteer and have only received one call over the last several days, and it was for something simple, needing to have the expiration date on a carton of eggs read, but it was really simple to do and certainly has a "feel good" payback for those of us who are sighted volunteers.

Let your sighted friends, relatives, and other associates know about Be My Eyes and ask them to take a look at their website and to consider becoming a volunteer and let your blind or low-vision friends, relatives, and associates know about it to sign up as a user.  I was not certain how frequent incoming requests might be, but it appears that the size of the volunteer base makes is such that no one is going to be inundated and every call for assistance is sent out to multiple volunteers and whoever answers first handles the call.  It's an easy way to lend an eye, so to speak, to someone who needs one at the moment.

Advertisements

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts

Hi Brian,

Interesting post,

thanks for sharing

Maybe some of our members with smartphones will be interested in helping.

hope so

Regards

paws

britechguy

britechguy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts

You're quite welcome.  When I first learned of this service it caused one of those, "This is what the good side of the internet is all about!," reactions.

So far I've still only received that one incoming call for help, and given that the Be My Eyes website says they have approximately 900K volunteers spread across timezones and linguistic communities that's no surprise.

It's such a nice service.

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts

:thumbsup: