Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB and Motherboard

• Please log in to reply

MickJJ

MickJJ

• PipPip
  • 47 posts

Hi,

I would be grateful for any help and advice on the following problem.

I am having a problem with the USB connections on my motherboard.

All purchased in 2015 and self-built.

Motherboard – Asus X99-E WS

CPU Xeon E5

GPU Asus GTX 980

PSU Corsair – AX860i

The problem

USB top & front of case

2 USB 3 and 2USB 2   USB 3 work intermittently – socket one may work and socket two does, other time it is the other way round, sometimes neither socket work, sometimes both of them work.

The USB 2 do not suffer the same problem

Motherboard – Rear USB connections

I have a USB 4 block extension plugged into a rear socket. 

Works intermittently i.e. plug something in does not work put it into another of sockets and does.  Next time that socket does not work but the others do. It is not the same socket that does not work it is completely random.

Recently I acquired a USB Memory Stick that lights up as soon as it is put into a live socket – then flashes when being used. I note that this lights up when inserted into any of the sockets regardless if it then goes on to work or not.

Audio – I do not have a sound card.

About 2 months ago

My audio is via a USB connection to one of the socket at the rear of the motherboard to an amplifier. Recently this has not always worked. Plug the USB into another connection and it does work. This can be the connection I took it out of the last time it stopped working.

Wireless combined Mouse and Keyboard these are about 5 years old.

Both behave as if they need new batteries even with new batteries inserted.

Keyboard, occasionally not working when using keys to play games.

When typing try another key and it works go back to the key not working starts to work.

Mouse does not always show where the cursor is, but if the keyboard is used it will work as instructed, in the place the cursor hopefully was placed, but not showing up.

Each one could be explained away on its own, but it is my feeling it is not the different pieces of equipment that are at fault but a USB problem as this represent a common link.

The other common link is that for the most part (but not exclusively) these problems arise after the computer has been on for 4 / 6 hours or more.

I have a NZXT Sentry LEX fan controller and the temperatures within the computer according to this never go above 35 degrees C – and that is never for very long it usually gives a reading of between 25 and 30c with an average of 28.5c

I do wish to reiterate that

1)    These problems are intermittent and do not occur every day but frequently enough to seek help

2)    The USB slots – the problem can arise with any of them and not just specific ones. It does appear to be the USB 3 slots.

3)    Just because a slot does not work on a specific day or time it does not mean it will not work later in the day or the next day

4)    These problems do not start on start up, but after the computer has been on for some time. The problem can arise either so that you cannot use the item or whilst using the item. It is very random.

My question / concern.

Is this isolated to a USB motherboard problem or is it symptomatic of something bigger?

Thank you for your help in this matter.

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

Same problem after booting from a Live CD/USB?

A Live CD/DVD or USB flash drive contains a complete bootable computer operating system (OS). When you boot a computer from it, the OS loads into, and then runs from memory instead of a hard drive. This allows you to run an OS without installing it or making any changes to a computer's current configuration.

To create one, download an ISO file containing the OS you want to use, (such as Ubuntu, Slax or Zorin), then use something like ISO Recorder to burn it to a CD/DVD or USB key.

Now boot your computer from this disc/key and your computer will be running that OS instead of the one on its hard drive.

When you're done testing, simply reboot your PC from the hard drive.

If the problem persists when running a different OS, then the issue is probably hardware related.

MickJJ

MickJJ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Thank you for getting back to me and I will be trying out your suggestion.

I do however think it is a hardware problem - most probably linked to the motherboard.

What I am hoping for, is if someone more knowledgeable than myself was able to point out a probable cause and if it is a hardware problem if it is likely to be confined to USB ports or if it is the start of a serious decline. 

I can then decided if I can take my time replacing or have to take immediate remedial action.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

Booting a different OS (operating system) is the easiest was to determine if it's a hardware error or not. If it isn't, you'll know it's a problem with your current OS.

MickJJ

MickJJ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Hi,

Thank you for your reply and explanation.

I have now downloaded Slax and ubuntu and they are on their individual DVD.

I will start testing.

As the problems are intermittent and usually in the afternoon and I am away from this evening until Wed of next week, I will test them today and again on my return.

I will update on progress over the week end of the 2nd / 3rd June

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

No worries. I'm to old to be in any kind of hurry. ;)

MickJJ

MickJJ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Hi,

I have tried the two OS but still problems

I have found an Asus forum website and there are many reports identifying a problem with the X 99 series and USB’s – none have been solved and Asus has not updated or sent out a fix for the problem.

My Motherboard series is no longer available (other than on e-bay)

I am taking the bull by the horns and replacing the motherboard

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

:thumbsup: Best of luck.