Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How does one add a second SATA harddrive to a Windows 10 PC?

Best Answer SleepyDude , 25 May 2018 - 04:07 PM

Hi, For Sata drives you only need to connect them to a free Sata port on the motherboard and also provide power to the HDD. Eventually you may need to access the BIOS to make sure the HDD... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

JEISEN

JEISEN

• PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

My Win 7 32 bit power light began blinking amber and not powering on with the usual green light. I'm assuming the power supply and/or fan has gone bad.

If it's drive is still good I would like to put it in my Win 10 64 PC for backup. Because it only has one. Not sure if they are compatible? I'm used to IDE's with jumper settings. But I see none on the SATA drives.

Advertisements

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts
✓  Best Answer

Hi,

For Sata drives you only need to connect them to a free Sata port on the motherboard and also provide power to the HDD.

Eventually you may need to access the BIOS to make sure the HDD that you have now is selected as first boot device.

JEISEN

JEISEN

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Thanks! I was hoping it would be just that easy.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts

That assumes that you have space inside the computer case.

You can also put the drive in an external case and connect it either by USB or eSATA. The plus with this is that you can disconnect it and only use it when needed. The down side is that the case costs more than just putting it inside the computer case.

JEISEN

JEISEN

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

That assumes that you have space inside the computer case.

You nailed it! The PC in question is an HP Compaq 8200 Elite small form factor. It's zip drive bay is smaller than the drive. Plus there was only one sata connection for a drive. A second sata (different colored) went to the dvd. But on another older PC I have I was able to do this no problem. It was a Dell Optiplex GX620. A regular sized drive bolted in the bottom under the original one no problems. Except for it's failing power supply. I should have purchased a regular tower PC. Sorry for the late reply btw.

Tim317

Tim317

• Pip
  • 1 posts

I have a question and I hope it's ok to ask it in this thread. So a year or so ago, my 2.5 SSD died and I was flat broke at the time. So I loaded an old copy of Windows 7 I had on to a back up drive I had on the PC and have been living with that, but the drive is slow. Now I'd like to get a new SSD for my PC. My question is about Windows. So my boot drive is currently the old drive with Windows 7. When I add a brand new SSD, do I need to load Windows directly on to that to make it my boot drive? I would actually like to upgrade to Windows 10 too, but that's less important atm. TIA.