Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer shuts down randomly

Optiplex

Best Answer phillpower2 , 02 June 2018 - 08:04 AM

Alright so - swapping the PSU was a success.  Without running the computer over a period of time while the original PSU was fitted and the the RAM was in the correct slots you have no way... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

FrickinDave

FrickinDave

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

Hello

I recently bought a used Dell Optiplex 755 MiniTower.

I am running in a reoccuring problem that it randomly shuts off now and then. Usually happens when installing something or trying to run something.

I remember it restarted about 8 times when I tried to install Google Chrome. Doing some research on this topic, it seems like the PSU could be bad as it's not delivering enough voltage. But could it also be the hard drive, as it does that while something is being installed or downloaded.

Edited by FrickinDave, 31 May 2018 - 02:19 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

Hello FrickinDave,

Could be overheating which can not only be caused by a build up of dust but also a weak PSU,if the original the PSU is potentially 7 or more years old.

Two things of note in Speccy, it contains you Windows product key so would suggest that you edit it out.

You have two sticks of RAM but it is only running in single channel, this suggests that one of the sticks is in the wrong slot.

Got to go out for an hour but will check back on my return, can you let us know if you are ok with opening up a computer case.

FrickinDave

FrickinDave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Overheating can't be the reason, because the problem happens less than a minute after turning on or doesnt happen at all.

I am not sure about the PSU age - all I know is that the computer could have been used heavily in a public place and the PSU could be worn out.
Tomorrow - I am going to replace the PSU with a 620W one that I have lying around from a different PC. After I change it - Ill give you a heads up if anything changes.

I don't know if you remember me or not, Phil but about a year ago we already had a thread about a different computer. So I am semi-comfortable with opening the computer case.

If it helps - I do hear a small click as it shuts down and restarts. It doesnt shut down completely, because I dont hear the fans stopping.

As for the Windows Key, it doesnt matter as I am going to opt out for Windows 10, as this is a 32-bit system and I am going to use this computer for some gaming.

As for the RAM's - I found that peculiar too that it says Single-Channel.
Originally I had 4x 1GB sticks.
I swapped them out of 2x 2GB sticks.
Tell me - how should I be putting them?

Like this? EMPTY-FULL // EMPTY FULL
OR.... EMPTY-EMPTY // FULL-FULL (they are now like this.

Thanks in advance!

Dave.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

Hello again Dave  :)

Looking at your OP the problem seems to happen when the computer is put under any load so can I ask what happens if you simply boot into Windows and leave the computer on the desktop.

Swapping in a better PSU is definitely a good idea and just may solve the issue, keep in mind that PSUs can also overheat and if the original the present one may be full of dust.

On older systems the slot nearest to the CPU often needed to be populated or the computer would not boot, if the first two slots are the same colour use them or alternatively if the first and third slots have white locking tabs (DIMMs 1 & 2) your RAM should go in them.

NB: Did remember having previously worked with you but could not recall on what and so did the obligatory H&S check, we don`t want to run the risk of any electrocutions etc.

FrickinDave

FrickinDave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

First of all - the old thread has nothing to do with this computer.

I swapped out the RAM's and now they do say Dual Channel.

I did ''clean out'' the PSU with compressed air (did'nt really seem very full of dust), double checked the 16-pin and 4-pin connectors if they're seated properly etc.

As for the shutdowns - right now I have the chronometer app opened on my phone and its been running since I pressed the ON button on my PC. As of now it' s reading 9 minutes and 16 seconds with no random restarts.

Just to be sure, do not close the thread yet as I will give an additional update 24-36 hours from now when I have the stronger PSU in.

P.S. Gonna remove the Speccy file.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
First of all - the old thread has nothing to do with this computer.

Was aware of that, the following from your OP was a massive clue  :P

I recently bought a used Dell Optiplex 755 MiniTower.

No worries on when you can reply  :thumbsup:

FrickinDave

FrickinDave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Alright so - swapping the PSU was a success.

But I've ran into an another problem. I have the monitor cable plugged into my GTX 750 Ti, but it's using the integrated graphics at output. 

I've googled on how to fix this, but in the NVidia control panel's 3D settings, there is no such setting "Preferred graphics processor." 

According to NVidia GeForce Experience and Device Manager, I have all the drivers, but in the control panel it does'nt even appear as an option to switch to a different graphics processor.

Cant really continue doing anything until I get this sorted out.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
✓  Best Answer
Alright so - swapping the PSU was a success.

Without running the computer over a period of time while the original PSU was fitted and the the RAM was in the correct slots you have no way of knowing if the problem was caused by a flaky PSU or the RAM being in the wrong slots on the MB, Dell MBs are picky when it comes to RAM and their boards will often trip up if there is no RAM in slot one which tends to be the one nearest the processor, would suggest keeping the original PSU somewhere safe in case you ever need one for testing.

I've ran into an another problem. I have the monitor cable plugged into my GTX 750 Ti, but it's using the integrated graphics at output. 

Not sure that I understand what you mean as you cannot use the MBs integrated graphics if you have the screen connected to an add on video card, as you actually have video would I be correct in thinking that you mean that the GTX 750Ti is working but it is using Windows generic video drivers and not Nvidea drivers.

Download then run Speccy (free) and post the resultant url for us, details here, this will provide us with information about your computer hardware + any software that you have installed that may explain the present issue/s. 

To publish a Speccy profile to the Web:

1. In Speccy, click File, and then click Publish Snapshot.
  2. In the Publish Snapshot dialog box, click Yes to enable Speccy to proceed.
  3. Speccy publishes the profile and displays a second Publish Snapshot. You can open the URL in your default browser, copy it to the clipboard, or close the dialog box.

FrickinDave

FrickinDave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

So, what I meant was that in dxdiag, it said it was using the integrated chip, although the cable was plugged in the video card.

I went into the BIOS and it had been set to Auto as the main option. So I set it to Onboard Video card. After doing that - dxdiag set the display card to my GTX750ti.

My main concern was that the screen (HP w19) has these upwards waves (like on old CRT TV's)

I quickly realised that this was caused by the screen or the cord itself, as when I connected an LG TV through an HDMI cable, the artifacts disappeared.

So anyhow, thanks for the help, you may close the thread.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

Good work on your behalf Dave and thanks for letting us know that all was now well with your computer  :thumbsup: