Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Please help

• Please log in to reply

Cj83

Cj83

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I have a Dell laptop with Vista in it. One day it said that the key code was invalid. So I bought windows 7 I just want to start over? It won't let me do a factory reset. The screen is just black.

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

You don't want to do a factory reset, you want to boot the laptop from the Windows 7 DVD ... then follow the onscreen instructions.

Cj83

Cj83

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
When I do that it does not do that. It just loads Vista I'm so confused.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

In the laptop's CMOS/BIOS Setup, you need to set it to try and boot from the CD/DVD drive before trying the hard drive.

Cj83

Cj83

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I'm so sorry I don't know what that means. When I first turn on the laptop I hit f12 witch let's me boost from CD/DVD drive but it won't boost.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

Oh cool, (the fact you can press F12 to try and get it to boot from a CD/DVD disc). If that's not working however, you either have a bad disc or dirty/flaky/failed CD/DVD drive. One way to test to see if it's the disc, is to see if another computer can boot from it. (Don't install anything of course. Simply see if it will boot from it, and then turn the computer back off). If it also fails to boot from the disc, you probably have a bad Windows 7 DVD disc. If it does work though, that means there is a problem with the laptop's CD/DVD drive that needs to be fixed.

--

Note that I'm headed out with the wife and some friends for lunch and don't when I might be back.

Edited by SpywareDr, 09 June 2018 - 09:21 AM.

Cj83

Cj83

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Before all of this invalid key code stuff the CD/DVD drive worked perfectly.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

Do any other bootable DVDs work in the drive?

Using your new Windows 7 Product Key (key code), you could download the Windows 7 ISO file from Microsoft, then use their utility program to burn that ISO file to a bootable USB flash drive. Instructions are on this Microsoft page: https://www.microsof...nload/windows7?