Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 10 install keyboard mouse not working at all.

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

Iain97

Iain97

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi there, i recently had trouble on my pc I think it may have been some sort of virus from a bad download as after the download my internet was still connected but anything I search showed err_connection_closed. I had old files on this pc as it is a bit old so I decided to reset my pc and remove all my files. Once it done this and booted up to install windows again my keyboard and mouse stopped working totally. I've tried my USB 2.0 port. I've tried two different kinds of mouse. Using my usb 2.0 ports my keyboard lights up and my light control buttons work but nothing else even caps lock... For both the mouse in all my USB ports at the most I get a flash of light for a second then it cuts out. When booting the pc I can't even even use f9, f10, f11 etc to use other menus. Any help would be appreciated. Id love to just be able to totally wipe the pc and or OS so I can hopefully install windows from fresh. Thank you in advance.

Advertisements

Iain97

Iain97

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I have a HP Z400 workstation running windows 10. I have a chromebook in the house not sure if that could be any help..

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

:welcome:  lain97,

my keyboard and mouse stopped working totally. I've tried my USB 2.0 port. I've tried two different kinds of mouse. Using my usb 2.0 ports my keyboard lights up and my light control buttons work but nothing else even caps lock... For both the mouse in all my USB ports at the most I get a flash of light for a second then it cuts out. 

Your USB ports may have have been disabled in the BIOS somehow.

Do you have or can you borrow a wired PS/2 type keyboard and mouse.

If needs be, are you ok with working inside a computer.

Tip

If using a computer and not a mobile phone, please avoid adding multiple posts while waiting for us to reply to your last or your OP, edit your last post to include anything that you wish to add, members and staff will always check out a thread that has no answers to see if they are able to help, replying to your own OP makes it look like you are already being helped and your request for help could be overlooked.

Iain97

Iain97

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
8 do not have keyboard or mouse with ps/2 port but in going to be buying one on Friday. I have a general idea about inside of pc. Not done much work myself only replaced my graphics card but I regularly open my pc and clean it whilst looking about it. Willing to do absolutely anything. I'll reply to you once I've got a keyboard mouse with correct ports. Thanks for reply.

dmccoy

dmccoy

GeekU Junior

• GeekU Junior
  • 1,295 posts

Do you know what version of Windows are you using. There was an older update that caused the Keyboard and mouse to stop working but has been fixed in the latest update.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Hello lain97,

Any luck with the PS/2 keyboard or checking for the suggested Windows 10 update.

Iain97

Iain97

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Sorry for the wait! I know have a ps2 keyboard and has worked and allowed me to install windows, I'm in windows but my other keyboard and mouse won't work when I connect -flash of red-light then it goes off. I'm assuming it is the bios problem then. Any help would be appreciated I'm going to have a look online for explanations in the meanwhile. Many thanks

dmccoy

dmccoy

GeekU Junior

• GeekU Junior
  • 1,295 posts
Please provide the following to give us more information on your system

Step 1:
Speccy
Download Speccy to your desktop

1. File > Publish Snapshot. This saves your snapshot to their servers
2. Copy and Paste the link to your next Reply

Edited by dmccoy, 20 June 2018 - 09:25 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

In addition to the above, check the Device Manager for any yellow ! or red Xs and if you have any other USB devices (thumb drive or USB printer etc.) try them in the USB ports and see what happens.

NB: You will also need to install the drivers for the MB, there are no Windows 10 drivers for the MB and the latest chipset drivers available are for Windows Vista, this for info only atm and please do not install any drivers for now.

Iain97

Iain97

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Manged to install spec y but unable to select the file option as mouse isn't working, tab isn't working as it seems I can only control the text box on right hand side of speccy(left and right arrow shows movement). Tried a few shortcuts but can only access print or find. Any idea how to select the tabs at the top without a mouse. Thanks

Advertisements

Iain97

Iain97

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
My device manager shows no mouse option but under the USB, 5 usbs are highlighted with yellow!

Iain97

Iain97

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
http://speccy.pirifo...sX0Be7JcYtxmbrT

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

My device manager shows no mouse option but under the USB, 5 usbs are highlighted with yellow!

Most likely meaning that drivers are not installed.

Manged to install spec y but unable to select the file option as mouse isn't working

Getting confusing two of us replying so I will not chime back in for now but it would help Darrin if you would let him know if you are referring to your USB mouse or the suggested PS/2 type mouse and if you have checked to see if any other USB devices will work.

Edit to add;

Tip

If using a computer and not a mobile phone, please avoid adding multiple posts while waiting for us to reply to your last, edit your last post to include anything that you wish to add, this will ensure nothing gets overlooked which can sometimes happen if a thread has more than one page. 

Iain97

Iain97

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I bought a ps2 keyboard, I have a USB mouse and keyboard that i had before I reset my pc and now they won't work. I don't have a ps2 mouse only keyboard. Under my device Manger my ps2 keyboard shows up but not when I try USB mouse or keyboard in all my USB ports 2.0/3.0. My USB ports have yellow ! Next to them all. I tried installing the drivers through device manager but says "windows found drivers for your device but has encountered an error while attempting to install them. Intel® ICH10 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 3A38.

When I plug a storage pen in my pc it recognizes it and I can open it through" my pc" so it seems just my USB mouse and keyboard don't work through the USB and my storage device does. This is for both USB 2.0 and 3.0. I have tried different keyboards and mouse. Wireless mouse doesn't work either.

Edited by Iain97, 20 June 2018 - 10:35 AM.

dmccoy

dmccoy

GeekU Junior

• GeekU Junior
  • 1,295 posts

Phill, Since you started with him you are welcome to finish if you prefer?