Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

wifi link broken

TP-LINK

• Please log in to reply

poolboy2018

poolboy2018

• Pip
  • 7 posts

For the last 4 years I have used a Tp link AV500 powerline extender to extend the WIfi to my gite (guest house).  Never a problem until last week when my guests were unable to connect to the internet. We tried reset, different sockets in the gite without success, but it works fine when in 5 metres of my Livebox (router).  I have replaced the ethernet cable twixt livebox and adaptor.  

Thinking that there was a problem with the extender I replaced it with a Tp-link AV600. Fired it up, same problem.works fine in my part of the house, nada in the gite.  I've tried it in the gite with an ethernet cable attached to my laptop, nada. 

The power LED, powerline Led and the WIFI clone buttons all show solid green in my house and the system works, despite the booklet saying that the powerline LEd is supposed to blink (doesn't say if it should be slow or fast) and the WIFI clone button is supposed to be blinking quickly.  

Any Ideas on what the problem maybe and more importantly how to fix it wil be gratefully received.

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

Any changes to the power to the gite?  New appliances or devices plugged in your place or the gite?  Failing appliance or device?  Lightning protector added or activated by a recent strike?

The signal used by the link is a high frequency compared to the power.  Anything which interferes with or adds capacitance between the power line and neutral or ground can keep the link from working.

poolboy2018

poolboy2018

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Any changes to the power to the gite?  New appliances or devices plugged in your place or the gite?  Failing appliance or device?  Lightning protector added or activated by a recent strike?

The signal used by the link is a high frequency compared to the power.  Anything which interferes with or adds capacitance between the power line and neutral or ground can keep the link from working.

Thanks for your reply,  There has been no power change to the gite, and I can't think of any new devices added, although there are 6 fans and 6 oil filled rads that can be plugged in at any

time. They are not new to the gite, and have been used before without problem.There are literally dozens of small appliances in the gite ( it's over 240m2) and guests bring lots of other

plug in appliances with them.The problem occurred when the last guests were in situ, but continued after they had left. Does this mean I need to focus on the appliances permanantly in

situ. There have been a number of thunderstorms recently, but the only one that caused a power outage was last Tuesday, after the problem initially occurred.  

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

I would check any permanent appliances since the problem remains after the guests have left.  Also look for surge suppressors.  Sometimes these can fail without annoying the AC but short high frequencies to ground.  Also check Ground Fault Interrupters.

Is the whole gite on the same circuit breaker or does it have its own power panel?

poolboy2018

poolboy2018

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Is this a possible solution to my problem, Unplug everything except the livebox and plug in the extender in the gite. If it works I can then start plugging things back in and see what stops it working. 

Question. Can the capacitance build up as more devices are added, or is it more likely to be just 1 culprit.

The gite has an earth cable fitted, How can I tell if that is the problem

There is a lightening protector on the phone and livebox.Should I test the system with the lightening protector removed.

Thanks for any input

poolboy2018

poolboy2018

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Is this a possible solution to my problem, Unplug everything except the livebox and plug in the extender in the gite. If it works I can then start plugging things back in and see what stops it working. 

Question. Can the capacitance build up as more devices are added, or is it more likely to be just 1 culprit.

There is a lightening protector on the phone and livebox.Should I test the system with the lightening protector removed.

Thanks for any input

poolboy2018

poolboy2018

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Thanks for any input

poolboy2018

poolboy2018

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Thanks for any input

poolboy2018

poolboy2018

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

I would check any permanent appliances since the problem remains after the guests have left.  Also look for surge suppressors.  Sometimes these can fail without annoying the AC but short high frequencies to ground.  Also check Ground Fault Interrupters.

Is the whole gite on the same circuit breaker or does it have its own power panel?

Sorry our posts have crossed.The gite has its own fuse board  and circuit breaker. Can I check the permanent appliances by switching them off at the fuse board or will I have to get my leccy man in to test them.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

Yes.  That's what I would do.  Probably it's just one device but it could also be at your house since it just has to be on the same AC line.  I would actually try the lightning protector first.  It might simplify things to turn off all of the circuit breakers in both units except the one(s) controlling the links.

Assume by "earth cable" you are talking about a buried power cable?  Difficult to test without special equipment.  Best you could do is disconnect both ends and then measure the resistance across hot and neutral.  Should be open.  Any resistance would indicate some degradation of the cable.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

Turning off circuit breakers is all you need to do to eliminate fixed appliances.