Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 10 bootcamp partition on Imac issue

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

sokolovv

sokolovv

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello all,

So recently i've run into a rather confusing issue. I run a windows 10 partition on my Imac pro and have been regularly using it for around a year now. It was acting up around a day ago (the game I was playing was very laggy & my internet connection was fine) so I restarted my computer. Windows started preforming an automatic repair and when it finished brought me to a blue screen that said "choose an option". I didn't think much of it and chose "return to windows 10" and booted back up into the windows hard drive, however it just loaded me into a screen where it said "preparing automatic repair" and then back to the "choose an option" screen. From there I tried everything. Both reset and restore options won't work. The repair startup/boot won't work. I went into the command bar and used various commands such as bootrec /rebuildbcd which did something however the commands bootrec /fixmbr and bootrec /fixboot say "cannot find the specified file". I also ran a chkdsk command which did something for about an hour but when I restarted the same thing happened. I'm fairly uneducated with this stuff as I have been a long time mac user. But i'd appreciate any help I can get!

Advertisements

dmccoy

dmccoy

GeekU Junior

• GeekU Junior
  • 1,295 posts
From the command window perform the following. Let me know if any questions.

Type or copy and paste the commands below and press Enter after each one.

Change all c:/ commands to the correct Windows drive letter below. If you need help determining the correct drive letter then copy and paste the following command:

bcdedit |find "osdevice" (this will display the correct Windows drive letter) see following example:

C:\WINDOWS\system32>bcdedit |find "osdevice"
osdevice partition=C:

1. d:\
2. cd d:\windows\system32\config\regback
3. Dir (This will list the contents of regback, note the date and be sure that the contents are not empty. If it is empty then this will not work STOP and DO NOT proceed
1. copy *.* d:\windows\system32\config (press enter)
2. Select ALL to the override prompt, it will say files copied, 5 hives will be copied
3. Restart computer and test

sokolovv

sokolovv

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Thanks for responding :)

As I mentioned earlier I really have no idea what i'm doing so hopefully I don't look too stupid here lol!

When I open up the command bar the entry is "X:\windows\system32>" I then entered in c: which gave me "C:\" then I put exactly step 2 in and it told me "the system cannot find the path specified"? 

From the command window perform the following. Let me know if any questions.

Type or copy and paste the commands below and press Enter after each one.

Change all c:/ commands to the correct Windows drive letter below. If you need help determining the correct drive letter then copy and paste the following command:

bcdedit |find "osdevice" (this will display the correct Windows drive letter) see following example:

C:\WINDOWS\system32>bcdedit |find "osdevice"
osdevice partition=C:

1. d:\
2. cd d:\windows\system32\config\regback
3. Dir (This will list the contents of regback, note the date and be sure that the contents are not empty. If it is empty then this will not work STOP and DO NOT proceed
1. copy *.* d:\windows\system32\config (press enter)
2. Select ALL to the override prompt, it will say files copied, 5 hives will be copied
3. Restart computer and test

dmccoy

dmccoy

GeekU Junior

• GeekU Junior
  • 1,295 posts
Nobody looks stupid that why we are all here to help one another.

Is this the command you copied and pasted

bcdedit |find "osdevice"

sokolovv

sokolovv

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Yeah that is the command I used and it said the partition was C:

Nobody looks stupid that why we are all here to help one another.

Is this the command you copied and pasted

bcdedit |find "osdevice"

dmccoy

dmccoy

GeekU Junior

• GeekU Junior
  • 1,295 posts
Okay. Did you try following the other steps or do you need more guidance?