Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

problems with second hdd

• Please log in to reply

rxkevco

rxkevco

• PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
Recently installed a 120gb maxtor hdd. disconected my old maxtor 40gb drive temporarily as i wanted to transfer some files and dats over to the 120 drive, and then reformatt the old 40 drive.
having the time today, i decided to reconect the old drive as the secondry drive, and the new one as the primary. after hours of being told that neither drive was recognised, and hours of not being able to boot up at all, i am now in the position of,
Both drives are now connected properly.
Both drives are recognised by the computer in the hardware section.
The 120gb drive is the master, the 40 the slave { no jumper in slave )
In "my computer " c drive is identified as the 120gig drive. no evidence of the 40gig drive at all, although both have been found in the device manager and are apparently both enabled. getting very confused and cheesed off now.
PLEASE, PLEASE HELP IF YOU CAN.
KEVIN. :tazz: ;)

Advertisements

Beast

Beast

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
I've experienced this once or twice... and the problem back then was that Windows wanted to give the drive a drive letter that was already busy by a CD drive.

Go to the Control Panel and click "Administrative Tools". Open "Computer Management" and select "Disk Management". You should see both "Disk 0" (the 120 GB drive) and "Disk 1" (40 GB).

I hope the 40 GB drive has some partition that's identified, marked either with FAT32 or NTFS. If so, you should only have to right-click it, and select "Change driveletter" or something similar.

If this won't help, please tell me what the Disk Management tells you about the drive.

(I'm running a Swedish copy of Windows, so my translations may be incorrect)

/Rob - Simply the Beast

Edited by Beast, 18 June 2005 - 03:50 PM.

rxkevco

rxkevco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
hI, THANKS FOR HELPING, VERY MUCH APPRECIATED.
Went into the disc management and here is what i saw.
disc 0---120 gb----online and healthy.
disc 1---40gb------online, but unallocated
does this help you identify the problem cause ???
kevin

rxkevco

rxkevco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
Right , starting to get somewhere now.
Have beenable to allocate the 40 gig drive a letter. 120 drive is now C-DRIVE.
40 DRIVE IS NOW F-DRIVE.
When i checked the properties however, it says that 100% of the disc space is free, which cant be right as there is over 20 gigs of music on there ???
I keep getting asked by the computer to reformat . surely clicking yes to formatt would completly wipe the drive of all my music and documents that i want to transfer ??,
KEVIN.

standard235

standard235

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
I don't know too much on this... but as far as I do know, the best option would be to put the 40GB as Master and 120GB as slave...

Again... I am not sure...

Or you could just burn all the files to CD.

rxkevco

rxkevco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
Thats the problem though, iwould burn the files to cd as a last resort instead of just transferring them from drive to drive, however the drive says it has 100% free disc space , telling me that there is nothing on it.
this drive HAS NOT been reformatted, but was just not connected whilst i set up the new drive,. i have only this evening re- connected it. the data must be somewhere ?????

Beast

Beast

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Seems like you're starting to get into trouble here.

Try setting the 40 GB HDD as the master and disconnecting the 120 GB drive. If nothing happens, the partition is gone...

But it's (probably) not beyond help. There's a wonderful tool called GetDataBack, that I used a few years ago. If I'm not mistaken, you should be able to see and test some with the shareware version, but to get proper use from it, you should buy it.

http://www.runtime.org/

This program allows you to access information in a deleted partition, but does not make any changes on the HDD.

Good luck!

/Rob

rxkevco

rxkevco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
many thanks everyone.
will try what you have suggested. thamks.