Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My laptop isn't working (network problem)

• Please log in to reply

BuddyMG

BuddyMG

• PipPip
  • 80 posts

I have no idea what went wrong with my laptop but something made it impossible to get online...

I posted in 'Virus, Spyware, Malware Removal' and did what I was recommended and that's not where the problem is and was told to post here.

There are three pages of posts about trying to fix the computer here http://www.geekstogo...-isnt-working/

Any help is greatly appreciated and if it can't be fixed, I'm also prepared to live with that.

Thank you in advance.

Edited by BuddyMG, 19 June 2018 - 06:56 PM.

Advertisements

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts

Hi BuddyMG,

sorry to hear of the problems you have been experiencing.

There is usually a solution to these sorts of problems, so don't give up hope!

It looks like with Joe's most excellent help you have done most things to get your wifi back, however on close examination of your log files especially the MTB log in Post 8 of your original topic, this line is interesting:

Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address. . : 169.254.196.3(Preferred)

That indicates that your router is not "talking" with your computer..... if we can fix that and get them on speaking terms! then it may help solve the problem.... it may not of course but thankfully there are some other steps we can suggest to you,should it become necessary, however in the meantime please try this to get your router and computer back on speaking terms.

1 Warn all folks in your household that you will be turning off the internet connection for a short while in order to effect a repair

2 Turn off your computer, your modem and then your router and leave them all unpowered for 2 minutes (by the clock!)

3 Next turn on your modem, and wait for a further 2 minutes then turn on your router wait for another 2 minutes timed from when all the usual lights on the router come back on

4 Now turn on your computer and this time wait 5 full minutes ( by the clock) before seeing if your wifi has come back.

5 If it hasn't then follow the following steps:

6 Open command prompt with  elevated privileges  - to do that,type in the search box

cmd
do not repeat not press Enter

a drop down menu will appear, with cmd or cmd.exe showing.... highlight this and RIGHT click (it must be a right click) and select "Run as Administrator"

a black window will open and at the flashing cursor

type the following:

ipconfig /release (this command may or may not fail, proceed even if it fails and note there is a space twixt the "g" and the "/"... it must be there!)

Press Enter key once

netsh winsock reset ( in all these commands note carefully the spaces.. they must be there otherwise the commands will definitely fail)
netsh int ip reset

Press Enter key once

Press Enter key once
Reboot your computer.

Now test your computer and see if the wifi is back.

Let us know how you get on and we will post the next steps if necessary

Regards

paws

BuddyMG

BuddyMG

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Hi and nice to meet you.

I did everything you said to do and I still have this problem (in the picture) and it still says Broadband Blocked...

Thank you,

Mike

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_4754.JPG

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts

Hi Mike,

OK all understood.

It was worth trying but it looks like, there's a more fundamental issue with the computer so we will need to do more work to fix it.

I have to take my wife to hospital for an operation today, so do not know what time I will get back, however as soon as I do, I will start working out the fix.

Apologies for the delay

Regards

paws

BuddyMG

BuddyMG

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

No need to apologize - I hope all goes well with your wife's operation.

BuddyMG

BuddyMG

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Just checking in - any ideas for what I should do with my computer?

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts

My apologies once more.... I'm afraid I had overlooked getting back to you...sorry!

Its just possible that your anti virus or firewall is blocking your internet, so it may be worth while uninstalling both ( if they are paid for versions then keep the serial numbers/activation codes safe so you can reinstall if necessary)

When the uninstalls are complete then reboot and see if it has fixed it..... if not then its probably time to do a reset of your operating system.

Here's a link with detailed instructions

https://www.laptopma...t-windows-10-pc

This will reinstall Windows and hopefully this should sort out the wifi issue....... although its fine to use the "reset and keep my files" etc to be on the safe side always check and then double check that your back ups and system images are reproducible, complete and include everything you want to keep....

Its better to be safe than sorry and remember to always have one verified reproducible, copy of each kept safe on removable media offsite....

I always recommend to my customers that at least 3 copies are made of all back ups using different media

Regards

paws.

BuddyMG

BuddyMG

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

That seems to have done the trick! I haven't checked everything but it does now get the internet (which was the original problem!)

I will check throughout but so far, so good

Thank you very much

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts

You are very welcome

Regards

paws