Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Recommendation on router with range extender capability

• Please log in to reply

Faina

Faina

• PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Dear experts,

I'm successfully using the Asus AC3200 router as suggested here

I'm trying to improve the wifi signal in my basement since is very weak now, with a range extender. There will be not any physical cable to connect the two routers

I would not use a normal range extender like the TP Link RE200 because I would have a stronger machine for connect multiple devices to, still staying on a reasonable cost side because it will be not the main and not used for business

I bought the IO data AC 1167 R and I wasn't able to configure it as wifi to wifi repeater, it works only if a Ethernet cable is connected to the main... 

I see that the d-link 1650 could be a good choice but here in Japan costs above 100USD, and this is out of budget

Could you kindly help me with the right component choice for my need?

thanks in advance for your suggestions!

cheers

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 20,661 posts
  • MVP

Perhaps a Power line extender?

TP-Link AV600 2-Ports Powerline Wi-Fi extender Adapter Kit is under $60 on Amazon.

Faina

Faina

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

RKinner,

thanks for the input!

I prefer to have a router that can bridge over wifi with my existing one, if possible

the AV600 is 200 USD here...  :upset:

cheers

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 20,661 posts
  • MVP

Not sure what exactly you are looking for.  You can get a wireless extender that you plug in to a wall outlet that will rebroadcast the signal but whether the signal will get through to the basement is a question.

https://www.lifewire...tenders-4043312

I've got one of the netgears.  Works OK but still couldn't get the signal to my back room.  Had to use a powerline extender.