Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Error 403 Downloading File. Try again

Error 403

• Please log in to reply

Certifiably Blonde

Certifiably Blonde

• PipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Hi!

Many apologies if this isnt the proper forum to address this question but I am doing my best here.

I am  trying to install a copy of SAMsBroadcaster and it wants me to download and install Firebird but when we get to that page and click install...I get Error 403 Downloading File. Try again.

Well try again just comes up over and over...how do i fix this?

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

What page are you getting your Firebird from?

I went to:

https://www.firebird...n/firebird-3-0/

and was able to download the 64 bit exe with no problem.

Certifiably Blonde

Certifiably Blonde

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Thank you RKinner.  I never thought of bypassing what I was doing.

What I was doing is installing a copy of Samsbroadcaster and in one of the earlier install instructions was to choose Firebird and thats where I was getting the 403 Error.  So I proceeded and downloaded off the link you provided.  Thank you.

Now, the Sams Installation Wizard is saying "Unable to start " instsvc.exe".  Everyone keeps telling me this is sooo easy..lol...NOT!

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

Apparently instsvc.exe  comes with Firebird.  Suspect that the file exists but is not where Sam is looking for it.  Do a search for

instsvc.exe

Note the full path.  You will need to add it to the Path (where windows looks for files that are not in the local directory).  Then go to Control Panel, System, Advanced (System Settings), then Environmental Variables.

There are two places for the path.  I would use the System one.  Click on Path then Edit and tack on the path you noted before (without the file name).  Win 10 you have to click on New when you get to the next page and just type in the path.  Win 7: There should be a semi-colon between the different paths.  OK. 

Try the install again.

Certifiably Blonde

Certifiably Blonde

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Thank you :)  Unfortunately its way over my head.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

OK.  We do it the hard way:

Open FRST but do not hit SCAN.  Instead put

instsvc.exe

in the Search Box and hit Search Files.  You will get one file.  Please post it.

Certifiably Blonde

Certifiably Blonde

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts

I'm sorry...open FRST?

In the Windows Search, I searched all programs and came up with nothing.  So then I searched MY COMPUTER and found it..so its in program files in the Firebird folder.   Firebird_3_0 (C:\Program Files\Firebird)

instsvc.jpg  

Edited by Certifiably Blonde, 23 June 2018 - 02:20 PM.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

Sorry about that.  Forgot this wasn't malware forum where we always start with downloading FRST.

• Get FRST from http://www.bleepingc...very-scan-tool/You need to download the appropriate tool for your PC.  If you don't know if you have a 32 or 64 bit system get them both.  Only one will work and that's the right one.
  • Right click to run as administrator (XP users click run after receipt of Windows Security Warning - Open File). When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.

Certifiably Blonde

Certifiably Blonde

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts

================== Search Files: "instsvc.exe" =============

C:\Program Files\Firebird\Firebird_3_0\instsvc.exe
[2018-06-23 15:15][2018-02-02 10:45] 000270848 _____ (Firebird Project) 18B98AA613FF1D1E5A9D3EBEACD91D5E [File not signed]

====== End of Search ======

Edited by Certifiably Blonde, 23 June 2018 - 06:08 PM.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

C:\Program Files\Firebird\Firebird_3_0

is where the file lives.  What version of Windows are we talking here?  Are you able to open your Control Center?

Advertisements

Certifiably Blonde

Certifiably Blonde

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Win 7 and yes I can.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

OK.  Makes life easier.  In Control Panel, up in the right corner it says View by:  The default is Category which is useless.  Change it to Large Icons.  Now scroll down to System and click on it.  In the left pane you will find:

Advanced System Settings.  Click on it.  At the bottom of the new window will be Environmental Variables.  Click on that.  In the bottom half of the next window you will see System Variables.  Use the scroll bar to slide down to where it says Path.  Click on it then hit Edit.  Another window will open.  It will say:

Variable name:  Path

Variable value: This will be blue.  Hit the right arrow key on your keyboard.  That should put the cursor at the end of the line.  Type:

;C:\Program Files\Firebird\Firebird_3_0

(Note the semi-colon at the beginning.  Only SPACE is between Program and Files) 

Then hit OK, OK, OK and close the System window.  See if you still get the same error.

Certifiably Blonde

Certifiably Blonde

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts

You are awesome RKinner...thank you.  The error is gone and I've installed Sam's according to the installation prompts only to get another error..lol...

Attached Thumbnails

• Unable to Connect.jpg

Edited by Certifiably Blonde, 24 June 2018 - 10:51 AM.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

Search for:

services.msc

hit Enter.

This should bring up the Services window.

Scroll down to the two Firebird Entries.  I think they are called Firebird Guardian and Firebird Server.

Right click on one and select Properties.

Verify that the Startup Type: is set to Automatic.  Apply.  Start the service.  Repeat for the second service.    Report any errors.

Did that help?

Certifiably Blonde

Certifiably Blonde

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Thank you so very, very much RKinner...It's all up and running and now all I have to do is learn to use it and ENJOY!  I can't thank you enough for your patience and your abilities!!

Edited by Certifiably Blonde, 24 June 2018 - 03:26 PM.