Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

External WD MyBook, 8 TB: better format in exFAT or NTFS?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

River Horse

River Horse

• PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

The WD MyBook, 8 TB, should it better be formated in exFAT or NTFS?

dDia6do.png

And should I rather repair it or quick format it (or better full format?)?

And what program should I use to repair (the file system, there seems to be anything wrong, also the same drive is shown twice, as F: and Z: on the screenshot, etc.) it, chckdsk or better the WD Drive Utilities program:

M5LUyMm.png

Edited by River Horse, 07 July 2018 - 04:48 AM.

Advertisements

dmccoy

dmccoy

GeekU Junior

• GeekU Junior
  • 1,295 posts
I recommend NTFS unless there’s a reason to use the other format. It looks like your disk Checks out good with Crystal so ther shouldn’t be any reason to check or repair it unless you want to double check with other utility. It is always best to use the manufacture utilities when available. The only issue I see is the temperature is a little on the high side. I cannot read your language so I don’t see the issue of two disks letters.

River Horse

River Horse

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Thank you very much!

Alright, so I will make a quick format with NTFS (full format does not make sense, I assume and would last some days or so), now the drive is formated with exFAT, there are problems shown here (saying, "Repair drive". "This drive has errors, repair it now to avoid data loss"):

J2T1Lk0.png

Or, would a repair be a good option? I guess, it will take very much time long, 8 TB. So better format it anyway.

2 drive letters for the same drive?

8o1QDjZ.png

Edited by River Horse, 08 July 2018 - 01:43 AM.

dmccoy

dmccoy

GeekU Junior

• GeekU Junior
  • 1,295 posts
Thanks for pointing those out that makes it easier to see. Can you please translate the repair message, that is the most important part to see what steps need to be taken.

River Horse

River Horse

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Unfortunately that message does not say anything needful, just something like that the drive cannot be accessed during the repair, the process can take some time, the computer might be restarted, that's it.

dmccoy

dmccoy

GeekU Junior

• GeekU Junior
  • 1,295 posts
Okay, it sounds like you do not have any data on it so I recommend deleting all partitions, create one new partition and format as NTFS.

River Horse

River Horse

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

The drive is almost full.

There is only one partition. So, is there a need to delete it and create a new one?

Quick or full format?

dmccoy

dmccoy

GeekU Junior

• GeekU Junior
  • 1,295 posts
Then why is it showing two drive letters? It is up to you if you want to delete and reformat or just reformat. Quick is all you need.

River Horse

River Horse

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Then why is it showing two drive letters?

I do not know, that's why I said this:

"And what program should I use to repair (the file system, there seems to be anything wrong, also the same drive is shown twice, as F: and Z: on the screenshot, etc.) it, chckdsk or better the WD Drive Utilities program:"

It is up to you if you want to delete and reformat or just reformat

Yes, absolutely, but what is the better decision? Why delete that single partition?

dmccoy

dmccoy

GeekU Junior

• GeekU Junior
  • 1,295 posts
I will need to see the actual chkdsk report to determine what it found or if bad sectors were found that means the disk is bad and should be replaced. It cannot be repaired, it will only reallocate the bad sectors.

Perform th following to show the report.

• Press the Windows + R keys to open the Run dialog
  • Type powershell.exe and press Enter
  • Copy and paste the command below and press Enter
  • This will create file called ChkdskLog.txt on your desktop
  • Upload the file to your reply
get-winevent -FilterHashTable @{logname="Application"; id="1001"}| ?{$_.providername match "wininit"} | fl timecreated, message | out-file Desktop\CHKDSKResults.txt

Advertisements

River Horse

River Horse

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Alright.

But I have just started to format it with NTFS and I am just re-copying the data to it. I will do it after that, hope, that's OK.

Many thanks

dmccoy

dmccoy

GeekU Junior

• GeekU Junior
  • 1,295 posts
If you haven’t started copying data to it I would wait to verify it is good. Then you will have to either run chkdsk again or test with the WD utility. Make sure you if you test wit WD utility that you perform the short test and if it passes then run the long or extended test.

River Horse

River Horse

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Make sure you if you test wit WD utility that you perform the short test and if it passes then run the long or extended test.

I had done both tests (see screenshot and text above), but not the long test. I guess, it will last as long as it will last to have repaired or tried to repair that dive with exFAT format. Crystal Disk Info shows it to be good as well. So I hope there will have been erros in the file system (exFAT). Now I have formated it in NTFS.

dmccoy

dmccoy

GeekU Junior

• GeekU Junior
  • 1,295 posts

Okay, yeah that what I mentioned earlier that Crystal shows it is good so I do not see any issues. You mention that chkdsk wants to repair it though and without the report I do not know what it is showing. Did the format get rid of the two driver letters? If you like re-run chkdsk /r and then the command I provided to upload the report.

River Horse

River Horse

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Yes, only one letter now. I hope, it will keep staying like that.

You mention that chkdsk wants to repair it though and without the report I do not know what it is showing.

Yes, obviously an error or more in the file system, I assume, Crystal cannot recognize such errors, I assume. And yes, a report would be good, but will take a lot of time, I guess, 8 TB.

If you like re-run chkdsk /r and then the command I provided to upload the report.

Yes, I would do it after the copying has finished to avoid any risk.