Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Okay stuck in bios now...

• Please log in to reply

Renegeek

Renegeek

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
I still have my Windows10 media but it won't seem to get out of bios to reinstall it... My computer runs both Windows 7 and 8.x

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

Go into your BIOS setup.  Verify that it sees your DVD and that it is number 1 in the boot order.  If that's the case then see if you have a Legacy boot option.  Toggle it to the other state and Save & Exit.

Renegeek

Renegeek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
The Windows10 media is a usb

Renegeek

Renegeek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
Also I'm not sure if I have a legacy boot option

dmccoy

dmccoy

GeekU Junior

• GeekU Junior
  • 1,295 posts

The easiest option is to use the boot menu hotkey and select your USB drive to boot. If you do not know the hotkey then provide the make and model of you system for more assistance. 

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

When you made the USB media did you use Rufus or another program to make it bootable or did you just copy it to a USB?

Do you see the USB drive on the boot list?

Renegeek

Renegeek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
I used the traditional Windows 10 media creation tool directly from Windows and yes I can see it but it goes right back to bios also the model is a asus x551m

Edited by Renegeek, 10 July 2018 - 01:47 PM.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

So instead of booting it just goes into the BIOS setup?  Normally when it can't find a boot device it tries the next on the boot list until it gets to the bottom of the list then just stops and tells you no boot device.

Could you have a stuck key?

Renegeek

Renegeek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
You mean f12? No just pressed them... No change btw I have 2 keyboards

Edited by Renegeek, 10 July 2018 - 02:11 PM.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

Whichever key causes it to go into BIOS setup.  Might be F12 - don't know what it is on your PC.

You might try setting the BIOS to default, Save & Exit.

It's also possible that the Windows program didn't work right.  Try making a new one using Rufus:  https://rufus.akeo.ie/

Renegeek

Renegeek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
I'll see if I can reinstall the Windows 10 installation media again and see if that works

Update:I got back into Windows10 installation it looks like it'll work

Update 2: there's an error with the installation process... Gets past the update phase but doesn't enter the last... Should I delete all the partitions?

Edited by Renegeek, 10 July 2018 - 06:08 PM.

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi Renegeek,

Glad you got it sorted. Thanks for letting the guys know. :)

For future reference, please create another post instead of editing your previous post. Editing does not generate an email notification to let your helper(s) know that you got it worked out, or that you need more help of that was case.

Thank you much,
Donna :)

Renegeek

Renegeek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
Oh okay ty

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

Deleting the partitions and starting from scratch is one thing to try.  I've also seen bad downloads where it took several tries to get a good file.