Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

LAN Area Connection 4 Network Cable Unplugged

Best Answer CatBlue , 11 July 2018 - 09:19 AM

I found the issue! I was using a VPN (Nord VPN) on my PC. I found out via their support page that it had designated DNS Servers on my PC that were no longer in use. I right-clicked on the LAN Conne... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

CatBlue

CatBlue

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi, my PC suddenly stopped opening web pages today. I keep getting the error that I'm not connected to the internet and that a network cable is unplugged.

When I check my Network Connections in Control Panel I see two:

The 1st one says Local Area Connection, Connected, Firewalled, 3Com 4C920 Integrated Fast Ethernet Controller

The 2nd one says Local Area Connection 4 Network cable unplugged, Firewalled, TAP-Windows Provider V9. Device status says it is working properly but it has a red X on it.

I've turned the computer off, unplugged & replugged the cable, but nothing is working, I still can't access the internet. I'm not sure what to try next, I'd appreciate your suggestions.

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

Is this XP?

Go to Control Panel, Add or Remove Programs.  Go down the list of programs and UNINSTALL any that have VPN in the name.  TAP-Windows Provider V9 is usually created by a VPN so expect the VPN is no longer working for some reason.  Reboot if you remove anything.

If that doesn't help:

Start, All Programs, Accessories, Command Prompt

Type:

ipconfig 

hit Enter

Does the IP address start with 189. something?

Is there a Default Gateway?

CatBlue

CatBlue

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thank you for your reply! I removed the VPN application & restarted the computer, but alas the problem persists. The IP doesn't start with 189 but there is a default gateway listed.

It's confounding. It says the LAN is connected and working, but every time I try to load a page I get a Problem Loading Page Error and Server Not Found. My default browser is Firefox.

CatBlue

CatBlue

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
✓  Best Answer
I found the issue! I was using a VPN (Nord VPN) on my PC. I found out via their support page that it had designated DNS Servers on my PC that were no longer in use. I right-clicked on the LAN Connection to access Properties, then clicked on Internet Protocol, then Properties. I clicked Obtain DNS Server address automatically and voila, working internet!

Thank you for your help! If you had not told me the problem was with the VPN, I would probably still be flummoxed.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

Sorry I couldn't get back to you sooner but had no Internet because they are painting the room where the router lives.  Glad you found the problem.