Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Dell XPS8900 Bios disaster ! (Resolved).

- - - - -

Best Answer Bruce42 , 30 August 2018 - 09:41 AM

Hi Phillpower 2, Sorry it has taken me  a while to get back to you.Dell took the computer back and repaired it, so they said. They certainly put in a new operating system so upon receivin... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
I was working through testing the ram sticks and had got to ram stick 1 in slot three, which again gave nothing I could discern. No boot, but the led on the power button started on continuous white, when boot failed it changed to yellow flashing in groups of 5. I switched off by depressing the power button for several seconds until the LED went out. I left the room to make tea for my wife, heard a loud bang and from the kitchen returned rapidly to find the smell of burning coming from the computer.

Can you recall what the power button LED was doing before you started any troubleshooting, this includes before you first removed the CMOS battery.

I suspect that this has been a PSU problem from the outset and in no way suggesting anything dishonest but I would recommend that you make sure that the RAM is returned to the slots that the sticks were populating when you took delivery of the computer.

You are welcome, keep us posted and good luck  :thumbsup:

Advertisements

Bruce42

Bruce42

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Sorry for not replying sooner - I had thought you would no longer have interest.

I returned the unit to Dell last week, and fortunately before I did I thought it might be prudent

to check it over to make sure I had not left any clues they may use against me.

I took out both RAM  and cleaned off the numbers I had put on them for ID. Perfectly cleanly removed, and replaced them both in their slots with the catches locked. I also inspected all around the interior to make sure I had left nothing there. There would not even be a fingerprint in there because I used latex gloves whenever my hands were working in there.

Everything was pristine when I closed it up.

Thanks very much for the message though. I appreciate your help, and I will let you know what transpires.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

No problem and thanks for the update  :thumbsup:

As previously mentioned I suspected the PSU from the outset, hopefully that is what the service centre determines and yes please do let us know any outcome.

Bruce42

Bruce42

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Dell have confirmed receipt of the box but have nothing to report yet, but in answer to your question about the power button BEFORE trouble was identified, I now think you are perfectly correct. Speaking to other people who have this model I learned that the power button light should display as green when everything is in order. I HAVE NEVER HAD A GREEN LIGHT. It was showing as a white light whenever I powered up, and in the later stages was yellow and flashing in different combinations. This seems to confirm your suspicions. When Dell are ready to comment I will let you know what is said. Thanks again.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Thanks for the update Bruce42, fingers crossed for you that Dell are in agreement and replace the PC asap.

You are welcome btw  :)

Bruce42

Bruce42

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
✓  Best Answer

Hi Phillpower 2,

Sorry it has taken me  a while to get back to you.

Dell took the computer back and repaired it, so they said. They certainly put in a new operating system so upon receiving it back I had to re set-up the computer. However it was still not working properly and I had to go back with stronger complaints than first time demanding a refund etc. They said unfortunately you are out of time for a refund, but we will send a technician to your home to verify what is wrong.

The guy arrived with an armload of replacement parts, all new - and he was good. He wanted the history of my experiences with it and immediately started shaking his head.  Well they have sent me with enough parts to practically build a computer so lets USE THEM ALL he said - and he did. He completely dis-assembled the box, removing all major components and replaced every one. He checked and tested everything when finished and I have to admit the computer is marvelous now. It is fast, and very impressive.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Hello Bruce,

No worries, was expecting you to possibly need to wait for a month or so at least.

Great news on the final repair and what a tech you had looking after you  :thumbsup:

Dell took the computer back and repaired it, so they said.

Did they happen to mention what they had repaired, a blown PSU would not require a clean install of Windows unless it had taken the HDD with it.

Bruce42

Bruce42

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

They didn't go into proper detail, they simply said - parts replaced and new system installed. It did boot up when I got it back, but it was still not working properly, and quickly reverted to NOT booting every time. I would try to boot multiple times before getting it to load. On the multiple occasions it failed, the power button lit up but just kept flashing without the boot  proceeding.

All is totally different now. It boots in about twenty seconds and everything loads almost instantly.

Many thanks for your support on the way. Was much appreciated.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Thanks for the additional info Bruce  :thumbsup:

Sounds like PSU an an-other hardware failure but what exactly we will never know, sure that you are not too concerned now that you are back up and running.

Well done for persevering with pushing Dell and to the their tech for looking after you.

You are welcome  :)