Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Dell XPS8900 Bios disaster ! (Resolved).

- - - - -

Best Answer Bruce42 , 30 August 2018 - 09:41 AM

Hi Phillpower 2, Sorry it has taken me  a while to get back to you.Dell took the computer back and repaired it, so they said. They certainly put in a new operating system so upon receivin... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

Bruce42

Bruce42

• PipPip
  • 98 posts

While I was using my old computer, my new Dell XPS 8900 received an update from Dell Support saying a Bios driver needed updating, proceed was recommended, so I did.

Soon after my wife was ready and I switched off the old computer to leave with her, then realised they were both on the same power supply and the installation had still been in progress on the new computer !!!!

I have of course switched it back on but now it will not boot up.

I would appreciate some guidance on what to do next PLEASE !!!!

Advertisements

dmccoy

dmccoy

GeekU Junior

• GeekU Junior
  • 1,295 posts
Unfortunately that can cause serious issues.

One thing to try is to clear the NVRAM as follows:
1. Disconnect any peripherals other then keyboard
2. Unplug the system and remove the battery
3. Press and hold the power button for approximately 30 seconds to remove any remaining charge
4. Plug the system back in and see if it will boot

If the system still fails to boot up then I would suspect the BIOS has been corrupted by the bad flash.

Bruce42

Bruce42

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Why not the keyboard to be disconnected ? It cannot be used while your disconnected ?

Bruce42

Bruce42

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

I have removed the battery and discharged with the power button - but it still doesn't boot up ?

Anything more I can do ?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Couple of questions if I may;

Do you get anything on the screen at all, the Dell splash screen or any error message.

Is there an add on video card or only the MBs integrated video port/s.

How many sticks of RAM do you have.

Bruce42

Bruce42

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

You are very wlecome to ask Phillpower, I am in need, but there is nothing at all coming up on screen, it's simply as if the computer were not even connected, which I guess it isn't. The XPS8930 is just as it was purchased with no add ons,

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Apologies for the sloven reply Bruce42, year end accounts for HMRC took priority yesterday I`m afraid  :(

We can only work with the info that we have so please bear with me;

The following was asked;

Is there an add on video card or only the MBs integrated video port/s.

How many sticks of RAM do you have.

To which you have replied;

The XPS8930 is just as it was purchased with no add ons,

and from your OP;

my new Dell XPS 8900 

Your said model ships with various specs, example here

You mention in your reply #4  " I have removed the battery and discharged with the power button "

You appear to be comfortable with working inside of the computer so can I ask if you would be so good as to check for any add on video card and how many sticks of RAM there are.

Can you also let us know if when you try and power up the computer: The hard drive activity LED blinks.

To do:

Disconnect the computer from all sources of power, pull the MBs CMOS battery, leave out over night, reinsert/reassemble and test.

Remove and reseat the RAM, if you have more than one stick of RAM, try one stick of RAM at a time.

Will leave it at that for now and we will wait on your next update,

Bruce42

Bruce42

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Many thanks for your help Phillpower, I will get back to you soon as I can.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

You are welcome Bruce and thanks for the update  :thumbsup:

Bruce42

Bruce42

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

I have removed the CMOS battery and that is left out for the night. I will put it back in in the morning and see what happens.

There are four slots for RAM and there are two occupied. I can remove as required, but did you mean simply take out and replace, or take out and try the boot up with one removed ?

No add on video card present.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Would suggest that you also remove and leave out both sticks of RAM overnight as well, can I ask that you also disconnect any other devices such as the screen, printer etc, we are trying to make sure that there is no way that any type of charge can get to the board overnight, when you replace the CMOS battery tomorrow can you follow the steps below for checking the RAM;

How to physically test your RAM.

The following checks require the computer case to be opened so take the following safety precautions 1st, disconnect the power cord from the wall socket and take anti static precautions before touching anything inside, you can do this by touching a bare metal part of the case.

Have a pencil and notepad to hand.

Remove each stick of RAM and blow out the memory slots.

Insert the first stick of RAM in memory slot one, reconnect the power and in the case of a desktop computer the video to screen cable.

Power up the computer and see how it goes.

Make a note of the results.

Repeat the procedure until the first stick of RAM has been tested in each memory slot and the results written down.

Remove the first stick of RAM and put it to one side on top of a piece of paper with the number one on it for identification purposes.

Repeat the procedure with all RAM until each stick has been tested in all slots, the results written down and the sticks identified numerically.

Please note that some MBs (motherboards) will not boot unless there is RAM in slot one so please provide us with your motherboard details, brand, model name/number and any revision number, these details may be found by the CPU, between the PCI slots and/or around the edge of the motherboard, once we have the MB details we can look for the user manual.

No add on video card info acknowledged  :thumbsup:

Bruce42

Bruce42

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Many thanks for the guidance. I am at hospital in the morning so all this will be done when I get back in the afternoon. I will come back to you tomorrow evening. Thanks again.

Bruce42

Bruce42

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Well I am back now and it seems we have disaster upon disaster. I was working through testing the ram sticks and had got to ram stick 1 in slot three, which again gave nothing I could discern. No boot, but the led on the power button started on continuous white, when boot failed it changed to yellow flashing in groups of 5. I switched off by depressing the power button for several seconds until the LED went out. I left the room to make tea for my wife, heard a loud bang and from the kitchen returned rapidly to find the smell of burning coming from the computer. I switched all power off and disconnected the box of course.

I guess the computer is completely U.S. now, but what is a mystery to me is that I HAD SWITCHED THE COMPUTER OFF !!! at least it seemed off.

I bought it only in May, and have been at hospital every day since so it has hardly been used. I was still finding my way around windows 10.

For what interest you may still have, slots 1 and 2 both failed to boot and the led was flashing yellow in groups of two.The MB has on it   IPCFL - VM

Edited by Bruce42, 18 July 2018 - 08:39 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Sounds like the PSU may have been bad, not uncommon with this model apparently, see example here

Would reassemble the computer and return it as is while still under warranty

What Dell Power Button Lights Mean

A solid green light means the computer is operating normally.

A solid yellow light indicates the power supply is operating normally but the computer is not processing data. This could mean there is a problem with the CPu or another component on the motherboard.

A blinking yellow light indicates the power supply is receiving power from the wall, but not functioning properly. This generally means the power supply itself is bad and should be tested or replaced.

A blinking green light means the computer is in standby mode.

Some more info here and here

Bruce42

Bruce42

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Thanks for your help Phillpower2, I'll get in touch with Dell support and give them the bad news.