Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

New Dell XPS8900 Bios disaster !

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

Bruce42

Bruce42

• PipPip
  • 89 posts

While I was using my old computer, my new Dell XPS 8900 received an update from Dell Support saying a Bios driver needed updating, proceed was recommended, so I did.

Soon after my wife was ready and I switched off the old computer to leave with her, then realised they were both on the same power supply and the installation had still been in progress on the new computer !!!!

I have of course switched it back on but now it will not boot up.

I would appreciate some guidance on what to do next PLEASE !!!!

Advertisements

dmccoy

dmccoy

GeekU Sophomore

• GeekU Sophomore
  • PipPipPip
  • 909 posts
Unfortunately that can cause serious issues.

One thing to try is to clear the NVRAM as follows:
1. Disconnect any peripherals other then keyboard
2. Unplug the system and remove the battery
3. Press and hold the power button for approximately 30 seconds to remove any remaining charge
4. Plug the system back in and see if it will boot

If the system still fails to boot up then I would suspect the BIOS has been corrupted by the bad flash.

Bruce42

Bruce42

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts

Why not the keyboard to be disconnected ? It cannot be used while your disconnected ?

Bruce42

Bruce42

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts

I have removed the battery and discharged with the power button - but it still doesn't boot up ?

Anything more I can do ?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• 22,191 posts

Couple of questions if I may;

Do you get anything on the screen at all, the Dell splash screen or any error message.

Is there an add on video card or only the MBs integrated video port/s.

How many sticks of RAM do you have.

Bruce42

Bruce42

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts

You are very wlecome to ask Phillpower, I am in need, but there is nothing at all coming up on screen, it's simply as if the computer were not even connected, which I guess it isn't. The XPS8930 is just as it was purchased with no add ons,

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• 22,191 posts

Apologies for the sloven reply Bruce42, year end accounts for HMRC took priority yesterday I`m afraid  :(

We can only work with the info that we have so please bear with me;

The following was asked;

Is there an add on video card or only the MBs integrated video port/s.

How many sticks of RAM do you have.

To which you have replied;

The XPS8930 is just as it was purchased with no add ons,

and from your OP;

my new Dell XPS 8900 

Your said model ships with various specs, example here

You mention in your reply #4  " I have removed the battery and discharged with the power button "

You appear to be comfortable with working inside of the computer so can I ask if you would be so good as to check for any add on video card and how many sticks of RAM there are.

Can you also let us know if when you try and power up the computer: The hard drive activity LED blinks.

To do:

Disconnect the computer from all sources of power, pull the MBs CMOS battery, leave out over night, reinsert/reassemble and test.

Remove and reseat the RAM, if you have more than one stick of RAM, try one stick of RAM at a time.

Will leave it at that for now and we will wait on your next update,