Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

How to know if the problem is hardware or the internet itself?

• Please log in to reply

axl2468

axl2468

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Hello!

I currently have a problem with my internet.

So, I play a game called "Dota 2", which relies on good ping (<100ms). In the middle of the game, the ping skyrocketed from 70ms to 1000 - 2000ms, which lasted for several minutes. The packet loss was also really high (the game shows a number instead of the percent), going as high as 14. I did all I could to reduce this ping. Lowered the internet usage of all of my devices, begged my siblings to minimize their bandwidth usage, etc. Nothing worked. After 10 - 15 minutes, the ping lowered back to 40ms.

This problem is really unpredictable. Sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't. I'm always forced to check the ping to the game server before I start the game.

I'm really frustrated and want to solve this problem. One of the possible causes that I suspect is the cheap internet hub. I don't suspect that the modem causes the problem, because I've asked technicians from my ISP to check it multiple times. No problems, they said. Maybe it could also be the cables, but unfortunately I don't have extra cables (or know anyone with one) to test it. Or maybe it could just be that my ISP is horrible (from the Philippines, with notoriously bad internet for a high price).

Help would be appreciated! :)

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 20,798 posts
  • MVP

Hopefully you have a Windows PC as I don't speak Mac.  Open an elevated command prompt:

XP: Start, All Programs, Accessories, Command Prompt

Win 7: Start, All Programs, Accessories then right click on Command Prompt and Run as Administrator
Win 8: http://www.eightforu...indows-8-a.html
win 10: http://www.howtogeek...-in-windows-10/

Type:

ipconfig

(hit Enter.  Note the Default Gateway address for example 192.168.1.1.  Now type:

ping -t 192.168.1.1

(Hit Enter.  Adjust the above command to ping your Gateway.  This ping will continue until you hit Ctrl +c.  There should be no missed pings and the time should be fairly constant at a low number (mine varies between 5 and 8 but it goes through a power line extender to get to the router)  If that's what you see then the hub is working properly and is not the cause of your problem.   Try pinging game server using the same command just to make sure that whatever ping program you are using is working correctly Then try:

tracert -d 8.8.8.8

This is a google DNS.  You will get something like:

Tracing route to 8.8.8.8 over a maximum of 30 hops

1     4 ms     4 ms     4 ms  192.168.1.254
  2    33 ms    33 ms    32 ms  99.169.92.1
  3    33 ms    37 ms    33 ms  99.168.24.177
  4    39 ms    38 ms    39 ms  12.122.106.66
  5    39 ms    39 ms    47 ms  12.122.28.125
  6    34 ms    40 ms    34 ms  12.122.141.221
  7    35 ms    37 ms    34 ms  12.247.147.26
  8    34 ms    40 ms    36 ms  108.170.249.161
  9    35 ms    35 ms    35 ms  209.85.253.235
 10    34 ms    36 ms    34 ms  8.8.8.8

Trace complete.

You will no doubt have much bigger hops since you have to jump the ocean to get to California.  It you leave off the -d and repeat the command you will get names for the routers along the way which may help you tell where they are.  You can also just google the IP address at the end of each hop.  The first one is your router.  The second would normally be your ISP.  Try the tracert -d to the address of your game server.  Tracert request are not high priority to a router and if it gets busy it will delay responding or not respond at all.  Cisco routers often will only respond to every other request so you may see one hop that shows a * each time you run the command.  Other routers have been told not to respond to the tracert so you will only see * * * but they will still forward the request on so the next hop may show a full response.

There is a small possibility that the problem is on your end.  Perhaps a virus or a bad program.

Get Process Explorer

http://live.sysinter...com/procexp.exe
Save it to your desktop then run it (Vista or Win7+ - right click and Run As Administrator).  

View, Select Column, check Verified Signer, OK
Options, Verify Image Signatures

Click twice on the CPU column header  to sort things by CPU usage with the big hitters at the top.  

Wait a full minute then:

File, Save As, Save.  Note the file name.   Open the file  on your desktop and copy and paste the text to a reply.

If you leave Process Explorer running you may see different processes moving up to the top 5.  You might be able to correlate a large ping to a process like WMI (WmiPrvSE.exe)

You can also use TCPVIEW to check what processes are using the network the most.

https://live.sysinte...com/Tcpview.exe

Download, Save and then run it by right clicking and Run As Admin. (XP just double click on it)

You can click on the column headers to sort things by that column.  Click on Sent Bytes once or twice until the processes with the largest Sent Bytes are at the top.  These are the suspects who are also using your internet.  If one of them seems to use a large amount that can hog your internet.