Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wifi and Ethernet problem

Best Answer welcome123 , 25 July 2018 - 11:33 AM

After everything that we tried and still no go i thought i would try and change my routers Channels again, all my devices connect and work from 1 through to 13. This stupid thing will only connect... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

welcome123

welcome123

• PipPip
  • 57 posts

My friend rang me to say he started his windows 10 Toshiba laptop this morning and his ssid is not in the list, there are others there but not his so he brought it up to me an the same thing has happened,

shows all other wifi networks but not mine, ive put an Ethernet lead from the laptop to my router and it won't connect via Lan.

I have searched round the web using my laptop but everything i seem to try don't work however my ssid is now showing up but won't connect.

When i troubleshoot on both it says ( "Ethernet" doesn't have a valid IP configuration )
Any help would be very much appreciated.

I have tried to release and renew using command prompt (Admin) but it said cant perform because its not connected.new pic.jpg

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

• Open Device Manager by pressing [WindowsKey]+[X], type in devmgmt.msc and press [Enter]. Click the little triangle to the left of "Network Adapters", then right-click on the laptop's network adapter and select "Properties". Under the "General" tab it should say "This device is working properly". If you see an error instead, for example:

Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)

Let us know what the error Code is, (such as the 43 above).

Also let us know if you see any yellow exclamation marks by any of the Network Adapters in Device Manager.

• What is the make and model number of your friend's Toshiba laptop?

welcome123

welcome123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Hi,
Thanks for your reply, i have done what you said and it say's device is working properly! and no yellow exclamation marks.

It is a Toshiba Satellite C50 - A - 146

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

Cool.

I'd next install the latest Wireless Lan Driver. See this Toshiba page: https://support.tosh...264288Q&osId=26

Make sure you choose the right one, either Atheros or Intel. It should tell you in Device Manager.

welcome123

welcome123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Updated the driver, still no internet on the laptop,

all my devices are working fine, its just his laptop.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

Same problem when booting from a Live CD/USB?

A Live CD/DVD or USB flash drive contains a complete bootable computer operating system (OS). When you boot a computer from it, the OS loads into, and then runs from memory instead of a hard drive. This allows you to run an OS without installing it or making any changes to a computer's current configuration.

To create one, download an ISO file containing the OS you want to use, (such as Ubuntu, Slax or Zorin), then use something like ISO Recorder to burn it to a CD/DVD or USB key.

Now boot your computer from this disc/key and your computer will be running that OS instead of the one on its hard drive.

When you're done testing, simply reboot your PC from the hard drive.

If the problem persists even when running a different OS, then the issue is probably hardware related.

If there is no problem, then the problem must Windows 10.

welcome123

welcome123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Ok, 

So i put Zorin on a flash disk and managed to connect to the wireless,  so as you say its the windows 10 system.

Is it possible to sort this out without having to reload a new system?

Thanks for your help to this point.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

Restore from a system restore point

This option takes your PC back to an earlier point in time, called a system restore point. Restore points are generated when you install a new app, driver, or Windows update, and when you create a restore point manually. Restoring won’t affect your personal files, but it will remove apps, drivers, and updates installed after the restore point was made.

1. Select the Start  button, type control panel and then choose it from the list of results.
  2. Type recovery in the Control Panel search box.
  3. Select Recovery > Open System Restore > Next.
  4. Choose the most recent app, driver, or update on the list of results, then select Scan for affected programs. You'll see list of items that will be deleted if you remove this restore point. If you're OK with the deletions, select Next > Finish. Or, if needed, select an earlier restore point before selecting Next > Finish.
Note

If you’re not seeing any restore points, it might be because system protection isn’t turned on. To check, go to the Control Panel, search for Recovery, and then select Recovery > Configure System Restore > Configure and make sure Turn on system protection is selected.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

Reset your PC

Resetting lets you choose whether to keep your files or remove them, and then reinstalls Windows. To get started, go to Settings > Update & security > RecoveryReset this PC > Get started and choose an option.

Note

If you can't open Settings, you can get to reset by restarting your PC from the sign-in screen. Press the Windows logo key  +L to get to the sign-in screen, then hold the Shift key while you select Power  > Restart in the lower-right corner of the screen. After your PC restarts, select Troubleshoot > Reset this PC.

If you can't get to the sign-in screen, use a recovery drive or installation media to reset your PC.

Option What it does Keep my files
  • Reinstalls Windows 10 and keeps your personal files.
  • Removes apps and drivers you installed.
  • Removes changes you made to settings.
  • Removes any apps your PC manufacturer installed. (If your PC came with Windows 10, apps from your PC manufacturer will be reinstalled.)
Remove everything
  • Reinstalls Windows 10 and removes all your personal files.
  • Removes any apps your PC manufacturer installed. (If your PC came with Windows 10, apps from your PC manufacturer will be reinstalled.)

If you're planning to donate, recycle, or sell your PC, use this option and choose to fully clean the drive. This might take an hour or two, but it makes it harder for other people to recover files you've removed.

Restore factory settings
  • Reinstalls the version of Windows that your PC came with (either Windows 8 or Windows 8.1) and removes your personal files.
  • Reinstalls any apps your PC manufacturer installed on your PC.
This option isn't available on all PCs.
Note

The option in Settings to go back to your previous version of Windows is only available for a limited time after upgrading.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

Use a recovery drive to restore or reset your PC

If your PC won’t start, you can use a recovery drive to restore from a system restore point or reset your PC. For info on how to create a recovery drive on a working PC, see Create a recovery drive

If you're having trouble accessing a driver encrypted with BitLocker, see Find my BitLocker recovery key.

To use a recovery drive created on Windows 10:

1. Connect the recovery drive and turn on your PC.
  2. On the Choose an option screen, select Troubleshoot, and then select an option. (If you don’t see the Choose your option screen, your PC might not be set up to boot from a drive. Check your PC manufacturer’s website for info on how to change your PC’s boot order.)
    • To restore from a system restore point, select Advanced Options > System Restore. This won't affect your personal files, but it will remove recently installed apps, drivers, and updates that might be causing your PC problems.
    • To reinstall Windows 10, select Recover from a drive. This will remove your personal files, apps and drivers you installed, and changes you made to settings.

Note

On PCs that came with Windows 8 or Windows 8.1 and a recovery partition from the manufacturer, selecting Recover from a drive reinstalls the version of Windows that came with the PC, not Windows 10.

If you didn't back up system files when you created your recovery drive, Recover from a drive won't be available.

To use a recovery drive created on Windows 8.1:

1. Connect the recovery drive and turn on your PC.
  2. On the Choose an option screen, select Troubleshoot, and then select an option. If you don’t see the Choose your option screen, your PC might not be set up to boot from a drive. Check your PC manufacturer’s website for info on how to change your PC’s boot order.
    • Restore from a system restore point by selecting Advanced Options > System Restore. This will remove recently installed apps, drivers, and updates that might be causing your PC problems, but it won’t affect your personal files.
    • Select Reset your PC > Yes, repartition the drive to reinstall Windows 8.1. This will remove all your personal files, apps and drivers you installed, and changes you made to settings. Apps from your PC manufacturer will be reinstalled and the drive’s default partitions will be restored.
Note

If you’re using a Windows 8.1 recovery drive on a PC that was upgraded to Windows 10, Refresh your PC and Reset your PC > No, keep existing partitions won’t work. Try selecting Reset your PC > Yes, repartition the drive instead.

If you chose not to copy the recovery partition when you created your recovery drive, Reset your PC > Yes, repartition the drive won't be available.

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

Use installation media to restore or reset your PC

If your PC won't start and you haven't created a recovery drive, download installation media and use it to restore from a system restore point or reset your PC.

1. On a working PC, go to the Microsoft software download website.
  2. Download the Windows 10 media creation tool and then run it.
  3. Select Create installation media for another PC.
  4. Choose a language, edition, and architecture (64-bit or 32-bit).
  5. Follow the steps to create installation media, and then select Finish.
  6. Connect the installation media you created to your nonfunctional PC, and then turn it on.
  7. On the initial setup screen, enter your language and other preferences, then select Next. If you don't see the setup screen, your PC might not be set up to boot from a drive. Check your PC manufacturer's website for info on how to change your PC's boot order, then try again.
  8. Select Repair your computer.
  9. On the Choose an option screen, select Troubleshoot. From there, you can:
    • Restore from a system restore point by selecting Advanced options > System Restore. This will remove recently installed apps, drivers, and updates that might be causing your PC problems. Restoring from a restore point won’t affect your personal files.
    • Select Reset this PC to reinstall Windows 10. This will remove apps and drivers you installed and changes you made to settings, but lets you choose to keep or remove your personal files.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

Use installation media to reinstall Windows 10

Before you follow these steps, try resetting or restoring your PC using installation media. If that doesn't work, you can use the same installation media to reinstall Windows 10 (also called performing a clean installation of Windows).

Warning

This will remove all your personal files, apps and drivers you installed, apps and customizations from your PC manufacturer, and changes you made to settings.

1. On a working PC, go to the Microsoft software download website.
  2. Download the Windows 10 media creation tool and then run it.
  3. Select Create installation media for another PC.
  4. Choose a language, edition, and architecture (64-bit or 32-bit).
  5. Follow the steps to create installation media, and then select Finish.
  6. Connect the installation media you created to your non-functional PC, and then turn it on.
  7. On the initial setup screen, enter your language and other preferences, and then select Next. If you don't see the setup screen, your PC might not be set up to boot from a drive. Check your PC manufacturer's website for info on how to change your PC's boot order, then try again.
  8. Select Install now.
  9. On the Enter the product key to activate Windows page, enter a product key if you have one. If you upgraded to Windows 10 for free or bought and activated Windows 10 from the Microsoft Store, select Skip and Windows will automatically activate later. For more details, see Activation in Windows 10.
  10. On the License terms page, select I accept the license terms (if you agree to them), then select Next.
  11. On the Which type of installation do you want? page, select Custom.
  12. On the Where do you want to install Windows? page, select a partition, select a formatting option (if necessary), and then follow the instructions.
  13. When you've finished formatting, select Next.
  14. Follow the rest of the setup instructions to finish installing Windows 10.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

Source of all of the above options: https://support.micr...ecovery-options

welcome123

welcome123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
Ok firstly thanks for your time again in helping me.
i took the restore route, I can't believe it now don't show my ssid but again it shows all others and it still won't connect using the Ethernet lead direct into the router, this has really stumped me.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

Then the "Reset your PC" would be the next step.

--

BTW, once you get it running correctly, do yourself a favor and use Macrium Reflect 7 Free Edition at least weekly. Then next time something like this happens, simply restore your last Macrium backup and in 15 minutes or so you'll be back in business.

Edited by SpywareDr, 21 July 2018 - 04:23 PM.